Art in the Schools

James Terrio

I think it's important to keep art and music in our schools, not just raising kids to take tests.

My daughter was lucky enough to be invited to participate in a year-long project this year, with a renowned sculptor. The unveiling was last night at a little gallery downtown. See a little video about the actual exhibit here.

I spoke to the sculptor and the organizer for a bit; they were both very pleased with how everything turned out. The best part is, it was funded by private/corporate donations and sponsorships, and actually made money! So there will be funding set aside for a similar project next year.

I'm proud of my little girl for participating, and proud of my community for making it all happen. :)

Last edited:
Congrats James on behalf of your daughter. The arts foster imagination and imagination is what is needed to make life great. Will the gallery be showing this for a while? If so I'll ask my folks to check it out.

Pat

It is definately worthy to support the arts. During these tough economic times , they wanted to cut the music program from the schools here , they cut the budget for the band program to almost nothing.
Even with the budget cut to almost zero , last year those kids ( and parents ) worked hard at sales , fundraisers and others stuff to raise the $$$ that the school board cut.

The kids deserve it , support the arts.

Congrats to your daughter!

It is sad,that with all the budget cuts,lots of programs are being cut.

God bless,Keith

Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen. My daughter is a much better student and citizen than I was at her age. I can only assume she gets it from her mom. ;)

Pat, it will be at the Great Hall shown in the link thru June 21. Then the large mobiles will be given to the businesses that sponsored the project and will be on display, well, as long as they feel like keeping them up I guess. The small mobiles will be returned to the students who made them.

I must say, for such a small city (38,000, maybe 50,000 including 'burbs and close smaller towns) Wausau has a pretty active arts scene. It's a nice place to live and raise a kid. :)

Last edited:
Congrats on your daughter, We have two beautiful daughters and they are our whole life. And happy mothers day to the mrs.

Steve

Back