Dogs & Lyme disease

K R Johnson

Early this spring my dog started skipping a meal now and then. He's about 6 now and I didn't think too much of it. Then he wouldn't eat dog food but would eat tidbits from the table. I thought maybe he had a stomach problem, but when I took him to the vet, he tested positive for Lyme disease and he's on antibiotics. He's in rough shape now and still losing weight in spite of me spoon feeding him.
Lyme disease never occurred to me or I'd have gotten him to the vet a lot sooner. My reason for posting this is to let all of you know that one of the first symptoms of Lyme disease in a dog is loss of appetite. I wish I'd known this sooner.....I may lose him.
This picture with my grandson is from before he got sick.
P1040176Small.jpg

Hey man. My dog came down with Lyme last Summer. She was on 3 different antibiotics off and on for 5 months. I know what you're going through. They just get so lethargic and won't eat anything for days. One time she wouldn't eat for a whole 7 days. The good thing is that Lyme is curable in like 90% of dogs, unlike humans. Just stick with it. I think it was the Clyndamycin that my dog was on that finally worked.
-John

Thank you guys. Shamus has perked up a bit I think, but I'm still spoon feeding him, hoping he'll start eating on his own and gain some weight back soon

How's you dog doing?
-John

Shamus is a mere shadow of what he should be. The vet was ready to throw in the towel after 2 weeks but I'm not. I'm spooning food in several times a day, and my wife tempts him with tidbits from the refrigerator, but he eats very little on his own. Right now I'd say he's just holding his own. We have 9 more days of antibiotics and then hopefully his appetite will come back. I'll let you know, thanks for asking.

good thoughts comin' your way. Nothing worse than knowing your pooch is feeling sick. All of our fingers and paws are crossed for a speedy recovery

I missed this when first posted. I'm very sorry to hear of your pup's illness. I pray he recovers soon. I know what it is like to have to nurse your four legged kid back to health. "Arashi" has been fighting off various ailments for about eight years now.

Sending Prayers for you all! Been there with hand feeding...make sure he stays hydrated pedialite in a syringe works well.

Jay W.

I hope he turns the corners soon. It's so hard to watch them not eat and lose so much weight.
-John

Thanks for all the thoughts & prayers guys. Good news. Shamus is more active in the last couple of days and he's eating a little more now. Hopefully he's turned the corner we've been waiting for. 6 1/2 more days of pills.

Thanks,
Keith

That's good news. My dog went through the whole lethargic not eating thing about 5 different times over a 7 month period before she was "cured". They can and do relapse. Make sure your vet gets a lyme titer about 3 to 4 after he finishes the antibiotic.
-John

That's good news. My dog went through the whole lethargic not eating thing about 5 different times over a 7 month period before she was "cured". They can and do relapse. Make sure your vet gets a lyme titer about 3 to 4 after he finishes the antibiotic.
-John

John, thanks for heads up. What's a "Lyme titer"?

There's a lump in my throat I can't swallow today folks, we had to put Shamus down. The vet was worried about his kidneys when I first took him in and had a blood test. Its been more than 2 weeks since we finished the antibiotics and he was again getting more reluctant to eat. The tests today showed that his kidneys were in much worse shape and there was no hope of recovery. We buried him behind my shop. Best dog I ever had.

Keith

I'm very sorry to hear of your loss KR. I don't even want to imagine the pain and sorrow you must be feeling. Arshi is the only dog I have had as an adult and she is like my child. I know that at 11.5 yrs her days are limited and I will some day soon be in your shoes. Our thoughts and prayers are with you friend. Shamus will be waiting for the day you are reunited.

Back