advice please

graveyard

i know these has ben covered carbon steel i have found supplyers that carry 1080-5210-1065-1095-5160-i beleve all carbon steel i dont knowwhat the work 10xx steel means can anyone tell be for a field knife skinning food prep, with well be the simplest to heat treat/ to hold a good edge on a 1/8 thick knife im working with BASIC tools id like to do it all my self can you give a mutt a helping paw thanks

1080 is the easiest to HT decently with "homegrown" methods. It's also widely available, inexpensive, easy to work with, and can take a very nice edge. That would be my choice based on your specs.

The 10XX means that it is plain steel, manganese only, this is designated by the 10. The "XX" part is the points of carbon that it has and that usually holds true for other classes of steel that the last two digits represents the approximate amount of carbon. A point of carbon is 1/100 of 1%. So the 1065 is a simple steel with about 65 points of carbon, 1080 plain steel with 80 points carbon, and the 1095 plain steel with 95 points carbon. With the 5160 the 51 denotes a low chromium steel and the 60 the points of carbon. What you listed as 5210 is probably 52100. The 52 denotes a medium chromium steel with 100 points (1%) carbon. I would suggest that you get something like "The Complete Bladesmith" by Jim Hrisoulas. It covers these basics and others without getting too involved and is a good reference to have on hand and for light reading.

Doug Lester

in simply work what is need for hi rockwell and ezze of heattreatming as for the carbon/// choromium a 50/50 mix 30/70 i really dont know

I agree, of the steels that you have listed the 1080 is the most newbie friendly. The 1065 is also a friendly steel to forge and heat treat but the carbon content is probably a little low for general use. It will make a good tough blade with proper heat treating but will have to be sharpened a little more often.

I again strongly suggest that you get some of the reference material listed under sermon to newbies on the next board. The information posted on these boards is not presented in an orderly, complete, and sequenchial fasion. I generally recommend that one gets themselves some reference material and read it before purchasing their first tool or a piece of steel. Flying blind is the best way to assure that the beginner will get frustrated and give up.

Doug Lester

I will also agree that 1080 is a great steel to get started with. I had great results with it using just a 2 brick forge and a propane torch when heat treating it, I still use it now even though I have an oven and 2x72 grinder, it and 01 are my choice for choppers and carbon blades.

Back