First W-2 My EDC

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dawgs,
Here is my first ever blade in W-2, I know what you all are thinking, let's see the hamon! Well, as this is my first W-2 blade me and the hamon didn't work out our differences, I wanted it-but it didn't want to work with me! I decided that the knife was more important than the hamon, so I finished it up. This one will be my EDC, for my personal carry, here are the specs:
OAL About 8", I forgot to measure it. But that should be pretty close,
Hand forged W-2 (from 1/2" round bar ) with a differential HT, clay coated.
Mexican Cocobola handles, w/ 1/8th" mosaic pin.
Thong hole with the first elk horn bead I've ever made.

BTW, these are the best pics I've ever taken, I used my new "Portable Photo Studio" I got about a year ago for the first time, really made a big difference in my pics. I want a critique here, so give me the good and the bad, tell me what you all think. I believe this is about my 8 or 9th finished blade.
Thanks Dawgs, Rex

Attachments

• R. McClellan EDC.jpg
    R. McClellan EDC.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 76
  • R. McClellan EDC (2).jpg
    R. McClellan EDC (2).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 81
I don't know if I would have shown these pics Rex. It's all good though, just drop this off with me at BLADE and I'll make sure no one else has to see it ;). LOL, lookin good brother. Keep up the good work.

The knife looks good but the first pic really needs to be reshot with better focus. Compare the two and you'll see.

The knife looks good but the first pic really needs to be reshot with better focus. Compare the two and you'll see.

I agree totally Dan, I knew there was something about it that didn't look quite right, I was thinking it was the set up, I'll go back and check it to see if there is something I can do to fix it in one of the many programs I have to edit photos, I have all of them except the one I need the most...you know the one that costs so much, Photoshop! I'm beginning to think it will be worth the expense in the long run, but that's a lot of steel and belts for what that one program costs, I'm hoping I might get the wife to buy it for me for Christmas, or something like that, I've got one that does pretty good, but so far none of them have been able to do what Photoshop can do, that I've found. Thanks for the comments, Rex

I don't know if I would have shown these pics Rex. It's all good though, just drop this off with me at BLADE and I'll make sure no one else has to see it ;). LOL, lookin good brother. Keep up the good work.

Murph!
Little Brother your about as shameless as they come! I think I'm going to hold on to this one, test it to death, besides, I'm waiting on you to come over to my shop, then we can make you one together! Once I get the one on the bench done, I thnk your really going to want it. It has a really cool hamon in it, I don't know if there is terminology already for how it looks, I call it a "Ghost Line", because the line looks "smokey", not wispy or very wild, it is very definitley there, it's kinda like the hamon line is shiney. I should be done with it this week end...maybe. Baseball has really cut into my shop time, but that's the Pup, he comes first, then I get to work in the shop.
By the way, I know I brag a lot about my wife, I guess I'm just so proud to have such a wonderful wife, she finished up my table the other night, complete with wheels, and PAINTED it! I wanted it white so it would reflect light better, eventually I think I'm going to replace all of my benches with ones like this one, I'll send pics of it later, Thanks Murph for the compliment, with my prices it won't be long before you own a McClellan Made Blade!!!!

Oh heck, just give him the knife.
Maybe you'll guilt him into stopping by?
He is going to have plenty of time at Polk to test drive it.
Dozier

Last edited:
I agree totally Dan, I knew there was something about it that didn't look quite right, I was thinking it was the set up, I'll go back and check it to see if there is something I can do to fix it in one of the many programs I have to edit photos, I have all of them except the one I need the most...you know the one that costs so much, Photoshop! I'm beginning to think it will be worth the expense in the long run, but that's a lot of steel and belts for what that one program costs, I'm hoping I might get the wife to buy it for me for Christmas, or something like that, I've got one that does pretty good, but so far none of them have been able to do what Photoshop can do, that I've found. Thanks for the comments, Rex

Gimp is a freeware program that is on a par with with Photo shop. You can create layers, all kinds of special effects and there's a sharp unmask that might clean up your photo some . I've started to just use it and it has many of the same features that Photo Shop does.

http://www.gimp.org/

Back