An embarrassment of wealth!

Nice ride, Tourist. Is that the 1200? You're not going to retire the other one are you?

Larry

Yup, it's a 1200cc. They call this model the "Sportster 48."

Oh, I'm keeping both bikes! That the 'embarrassment of wealth.' I've never owned two bikes at the same time. I've had mutiple bikes in one year, but I had either traded one in, or detroyed one. :(

The bikes have two distinct personalities. The big bike, "Black Betty," is more of a highway bike while being a custom. It has a tricked out and bored motor.

The little 48 is more of a tavern bike, whippet quick, always wanting to run up on the cam.

I came home, paced like a caged animal, and then went out again! You have to break in a new engine, and the weather was perfect for that--clear and cool.

I'm calling her "Spinner." Have a biker explain the joke to you.

The motor in Spinner shakes and rattles, like a can of loose change. The rear shock absorbers are just for show, there's not suspension back there. The seat is tiny, and my wife's Trek bike gel seat has more padding. The ride is rough, loud, and always on the boil. No wonder the tank only holds two gallons--you need to get off and unkink your spine.

I haven't had so much fun in years!!!

Nice Lil Putt.2thumbs You know what we call the Sportser?????? huh1I'll give you a couple of years and you be getting a FLH, FXST and etc.:D

I'll give you a couple of years and you be getting a FLH, FXST and etc.

Been there, done that--and two Goldwings.

I was always happiest on a little Sporty (this one makes four), or a custom Super Glide.

The wind doesn't bother me (a cold rain that chills you to the bone is the worst for me), and while I'm not a canyon-carver, I just like a simpler style of bike. If need be, a trip to Sturgis for me is 800 miles and no turns, I-94 goes right by my house.

Much like handguns, redheads and the style of knives we build or collect, you never forget your first. I worked on a dock in Milwaukee, counting the minutes to Friday afternoon. Then it was an hour up the slab to Madison and +48 of stupid boy-stuff. The end of my college years also killed that silly span.

But I hear those clunky V-twins and it's like those years are erased. I had fun today, and all because of a stripped down, somewhat refined bucket of K-model parts. Heck, a CVO Road King cannot do that.

Goldwings???? What's that a Rice Bird??????huh1huh1
I have owned my 1947 Indian Chief for over 38 years and my 1985 FXST since 1986. If I sold my Indian or HD, I would have to erase all my Tat's. HEHEHEHEHEHE!!!

Goldwings???? What's that a Rice Bird??????huh1huh1
I have owned my 1947 Indian Chief for over 38 years and my 1985 FXST since 1986. If I sold my Indian or HD, I would have to erase all my Tat's. HEHEHEHEHEHE!!!

Old Iron don't leak oil...
they just be markin' their spot!
2.gif

Yeah, two Goldwings. Going down the old Madison Beltline checking out pretty girls and minding my own business when--bang--the entire back half of my motor blew itself to smithereens.

The armature had come unscrewed from the alternator, and like a high-speed drill bit went straight through the back engine cases and took out everything in its path. I was lucky to get the bike stopped.

This was in 1979, and the Honda engineers had never heard of such a thing. They flew out four guys from California and "impounded" my bike. They offered me anything on the floor, and I took a little red six-cylinder CBX. Nice bike, fast, very intense--but all those gears and all that high RPM, it was just too many numbers to keep track of. Sold it after one season.

Two cylinders. I can remember that number.

You biker people are just plain weird.

You have no idea...

I believe that the same creative urge that drives bikers also drives cutlers and knife-makers. There's this unquenchable desire to produce a thing of beauty and excellence, but using fire and steel and hammer blows.

Hunter Thompson defined it better than I could. To paraphrase, he opined, "It's hard to imagine a thing so mechanically perfect to be in the hands of a maniac."

I've oftened wondered why there isn't a Harley in every garage of every cutler or sharpener you can name. We have more similarities than differences.

Bikers are weird???:eek: And I always thought people that didn't like Bikes were strange. :D I guess it takes a certain type of person to straddle a chunk of fire breathing iron and head out into the wind. If you're not that kind of person you'll never know why we love it so much.

Larry

Hunter Thompson defined it better than I could. To paraphrase, he opined, "It's hard to imagine a thing so mechanically perfect to be in the hands of a maniac."

He also said, "I hate to advocate drugs, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." That philosophy has actually served me pretty well.

I first came across HST when I saw a copy of "Hell's Angels" in paperback on a rack in the neighborhood pharmacy in Janesville WI, circa 1985. Briefly paging thru it, I saw a writing style that reminded me of Steinbeck and Kerouack and Hemingway, and I spent my whole allowance on it.

Despite my very rational fear of vehicles that go wayyyy too fast and offer no protection at all, I have read nearly everything he ever wrote and still occasionally dream of making a fist-hilted dagger like his Gonzo logo.

But what do I know, I'm just a frustrated guitar-abuser, socio-political malcontent and maker of sparks... no weirdness there! ;)

I will say this, I've never been treated badly by any biker who heard me pick on a guitar, or inspected one of my knives. There is definitely a common ground there.

Last edited:
Bikers are weird?...takes a certain type of person to straddle a chunk of fire breathing iron

I've thought the same thing. In fact, I've often wondered what the reaction would be if I had invented motorcycles now, in the modern age.

"Hey, guys, I have a new invention in vehicles. It uses less fuel, but it has a power-to-weight ratio that rivals Indianapolis champ-cars. In most cases it can go from 0-60 in about three seconds and over 100 in about ten seconds. Many high school kids can afford one just by cutting grass. Oh, there's only one problem, you ride on the outside of the vehicle...":eek:

james terrio said:
insanity..."always worked for me."

Well, being bipolar I'd have to admit that I find insanity a great asset. With BP, my synaptic responses are quicker and that's handy when playing cards for money.:p

Realistically, thinking outside the box simply opens up vast realms of possibilities. In fact, I don't see "the box" at all.

David Broadwell said:
I ride a Sportster myself...I don't know that I'd want anything different.

Oh, I feel the same way. The problem is not the bikes, it's me.

As a club member, I weighed about 140 pounds. With a few simple tweaks--like an S&S carburetor and flow-through shortie mufflers--I could easily stay with the hotter stuff of that day.

However, at the age of twenty-seven I became successful enough to actually afford "food" and I developed the barbell habit. To me, a Super-Glide (now called a "Dyna") is just a Sportster for big boys.

The '48' provides what I need. It's a Sportster with a big engine, it has bigger wheels and tires, and while I dislike forward controls it does give me room to stretch out.

You could make a good case that if the '48' had been invented in mid-1970s there may not have been the need for Super-Glides.

Listen!!! I race you, but you have to give a bike's lenght for every year difference in age. EX: you have a 2010 and mine is a 1947 = 63 lenghts. I would just have to use 1st gear to across the finish line. HEHEHEHEHE!!!

Listen!!! I race you, but you have to give a bike's lenght for every year difference in age.

LOL. Here folks--especially for you non-bikers--is the fabric of guys who ride! They are willing to destroy engines, their bodies, untold heaps of cash and joys of victorious laughter for the momentary adrenaline pump of feeling a motor tearing itself apart between their legs. Great stuff.

I have often heard, even from some pretty rough men, that one of their great joys is watching their children sleep. To my knowledge I have no children that have claimed me. However, today is 'trash day' in my little burg, and I had to get up early.

When I opened up the garage, here's what I saw...

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/TheTourist_bucket/002-4.jpg

You know what your real 'embarrassment of wealth' is, don't you?

All that space in your garage! :eek:

Looks like you must only bring home things you can carry on your bike.
scooter 1

Back