Do the cobbler's children have shoes?

T

The Tourist

When it comes to cutlers and knife makers and their own knives, I've seen the quality of those knives go both ways.

First, many guys are struggling to deliver orders. The knife they use in the shop may be a sharpened piece of a Chevy bumper. But as a sharpener, I like to hand a potential client my EDC, so I keep it in pristine shape.

This idea was driven home to me last year. I had numerous telephone calls with a certain gentleman in hopes of distributing his line of knives in the Wisconsin area. He had often commented on Japanese style stones and the finish on the edges. He asked if I could sharpen his EDC.

I was initially stunned. He must have had thousands of dollars in modern machinery. I was an oaf with a wet rock. However, a few days later a UPS package showed up. This was no Chevy bumper! Despite being fairly dull, it was a clear example of his shop's perfect grind lines, upscale grips made from stag, and a striking overall polish.

I wrapped that sucker within an inch of its life with blue painters tape! (I even snapped a picture of that knife just to prove I hadn't been tapping the Patron!)

But my point is this. I was delighted the knife was beautiful. But I wouldn't have been surprised if his personal knife was just a crude silhouette of his shop's product and a rudimentary edge for chores. To be honest, I do have two SuperKnives and a cheap Spyderco on my end table for quick and dirty household jobs, like trimming loose threads on laundry.

Where do you guys stand on your personal EDCs, and why?

Good question... I have given up on trying to carry "one of my best" as a PR effort. I know I should have one like that to show, but there are two good reasons I don't.

I do Japanese style blades with hamon or temper lines. Around here that doesn't mean much. Any knife that costs more than $35.00 better harvest wheat. Also I tend to treat knives pretty rough. Mine constantly has to scrape gasket material off intake manifold, or cut a sapling in the back yard while mowing or any manner of chore that screws up the Japanese finish almost instantly. Now I carry a small example of my knives in a horizontal belt sheath and just keep a 400 grit brushed finish on the blade. It obliterates the hamon but it keeps the tree sap off and keeps the blade at least fairly clean. Occasionally if someone is interested I will have a completed piece on hand in the shop to show.:rolleyes:

in the back yard while mowing

I have much the same problem with maintaining "road knives." There's a tipping point. When is a knife worth more as a sample over being an EDC? Yikes, there were times when I carried two knives, one just for 'pretty.' What kind of a lame thought process is that?

I now keep an Emerson or a Myerchin on my crappy bike jeans and just hand out business cards. There's usually mayonnaise on my EDC, but that's another story.

In some very pleasant developments, I'm now the sane one in this thread...

Good question. My EDC is one of my slippies. It looks like it has been through a war, but I keep the edge in top shape. It has sold alot of knives for me, just because so many people are not used to the difference between a cheap factory knife and a custom made with quality steel. They cant believe how good the thing cuts, and it get used alot. My friend always carries a slipjoint of his with file work and the whole nine yards, and it has sold alot of knives for him. I guess my point is a maker shouldnt carry something he wouldnt want to sell, but even with some miles on it, if it was a quality knife to start with that quality will still show.

Sean

Feels weird huh? Maybe if Les and I quit clowning around you'll get more legitimate responses.

Actually, I learn a lot from banter--I even encourage it.

I do have fun on forums, but like many folks here, knives are also my business. I cannot own all of them--in fact my supplier doesn't carry a full line even if he sells some of their products. I'd go broke testing 'mules.'

Recently, a member bristled at a knife brand. Heck, I'm not offended. In reality I hadn't purchased any of those knives in a few years. I ask myself, did the quality drop, are fasteners now made in China, are orders taking too long, has customer service or Q/C dwindled?

There's an old saying, "In vino veritas." Meaning, 'In wine there is truth.' When people banter, you learn stuff, probably some intricate truths you may not have known.

I'm the new kid here. I have to learn the 'playground,' just like in a cell block. I'm going to make friends, I'm going to debate detractors, tweak Suzuki riders and make several outright enemies.

Eh, it's the price you pay for a forum worth attending.;)

Back