TOPS vs STRIDER best 4.5 inch combat tanto folder? Super strong lock?

K

kip

I currently carry a CRKT M21-14SFG weak side (left hand pocket).
http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces-Black-G10-Handle-AutoLAWKS-Veff-Combo-Edge

I carry a Kershaw Speed safe in my rear pocket as a back up and will look to replace that later on.
http://www.crkt.com/M21-Special-Forces-Black-G10-Handle-AutoLAWKS-Veff-Combo-Edge

I am looking for a stronger knife than my CRKT to carry to use in self defense is my gun jams or when I am in an area where I can only carry a knife. I suppose im looking for a 4.5 inch blade with a frame lock, good grip handle such as G10 scales, curved back part of handle for a good grip with some type of front edge to avoid slippage onto the blade, tanto blade half serrated, all black are other non reflective color, with maybe a double lock feature. Anything that fits this description? Will spend 100-$800.00

I am looking very closely at this Strider as it has a frame lock.
http://customtacticals.com/2009/02/18/strider-msc-rc-framelock-folder/

My other option is the TOPS 711. I dont really know if the linear lock is strong enough for the price.
http://www.topsknives.com/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=58

I have a Generation II Strider SnG. My advice is to just pry any one of those products out of Mick's hand and call it a day.

As per my personal beliefs, Mick is both loved and hated. Yikes, he just has to be nice guy by those standards.

Buy the Strider.

How can I get one custom made with a frame lock? How strong is the TOPS Knife? If I can do it for under 200 it would be nice but last thing I want is a knife that snaps when I need it most.

First things first, you are going to get what you pay for and obviously you are trying to do your homework (Good job!).

Having a custom folder made which will meet your desires is pretty easy. You just need to identify which maker you would like to make it for you. I would recommend one who has a reputation for making top quality work and understands your intended use. There are alot of custom folder makers out there. Some make "pretty", some make "hard core", and some make "pretty and hard core". We have several makers here who meet the "pretty and hard core" category. An awesome custom folder is not a cheap folder, keep that in mind.

In your intial post you stated you were prepared to pay between $100-800. For a large fram custom folder, be prepared to pay on the higher end of that scale. I'm not a fan of either of the choices you posted, so I will refrain from making comments. If you are wanting something on the lower end of the scale, I would recommend looking at BM or ZT. Both make great products at a reasonable price. As for my personal opinion of what you are currently carrying, it's the absolute best product you will ever find for that price.

I may be a bit like Murph in my opinion of your sellections. I think that knives that look, or named, like they are combat knives for civilian carry gives knife users a bad name and gives the Chicken Littles of this world ammo to scare the legislators of this nation into the idea that "something has to be done about this". There are plent of knifes that look more like tools but will serve as a last line of defence in a close encounter of the worst kind. I carried a Spiderco Manix one and like it a great deal. Unfortunantly I can't keep ahold of a $200 knife any better that I can keep ahold of a $50 knife.

Doug Lester

It would be nice if I could get one for around 200 since I loose knives from time to time and this will be a daily carry. I am now looking at emerson and the TOPS 711. How does TOPS and Emerson compare to the quality of bench made?

It depends, are you talking about an Emerson production model or custom. If you are talking about the production models, I would personally call them about even in quality and price to Benchmade. But, that is just my personal opinion.

It depends, are you talking about an Emerson production model or custom.

There are still places where you can find Emerson HD-7 knives, which are no longer in production, I believe. They go for about 270 bucks and the entire frame lock side of the handle is a thick slab of titanium.

I know, I carried one for four years working at my craft at Gander Mountain--cutting anything I needed.

A client bought my used one, but I have a pristine one salted away. It is one of the best production knives (formerly) made.

Have one made up for you the way you want it. There are some very good makers on this forum and I'm sure they can make you what you want. As far as Strider knives are concerned, I don't like anything about them.

John, you'll find the LAWKS on CRKT folders. It is a liner-lock with a small lever on the spine. When you push this lever forward, it rotates a shim behind the liner to keep it from being pressed out of engagement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAWKS

As far as Strider knives are concerned, I don't like anything about them.

May I ask why?

I've owned two of them. Granted, they are a tad ugly, but I cannot see them failing for any reason.

Might be just me , but if it is a back up to a jammed firearm , you are already losing time , go for a fixed blade over a folder.

With that said , I carry and use my Striders , they aren't for everyone , no knife is , best thing you can do is handle the ones you are interested in and compare for yourself. I can't tell you what will feel good in your hands.

Back