American Chestnut and 1095

Frankallen

I was very fortunate to get a real board of "American Chestnut" from a fellow in Tennessee, they had to cut one down, to make way for a bldg. and he sold off the boards. This wood is so rare, I was tickled to really find some. As everyone knows the Chestnut blight, hit the US around the turn of the Century around (1900-1908)..Killed off Billions of trees,By 1940, mature American chestnut trees were virtually wiped out by the disease, but a few survived in isolated areas.

Here is a Skinner, I made in the last few days.....Handle..American Chestnut 4".....Blade..1095 3/32" thick and 4" long.....Overall length of knife 8"..Hope y'all like it. Thanks for looking!!:)

Frank

124008189.jpg

124008190.jpg

124008191.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like a mini kitchen knife! I love it! That wood has a very classy look to it as well--simple, but classy.

~Noah

Thanks for sharing. As a certified arborist, I know little about these trees. However, my real affection for the trees is due to my Grand Father and Great Grand Father cut some of the american chestnut trees that were still standing in Hayesville NC years after they had died. Most of that wood was burned as fire wood, but some was sawn into lumber. It laid around and stayed stored for years until in the late eighties my Dad and Grand Father used it to make a bed and chest of drawers for me. The wood is full of worm holes and dark spots and really looks unique. They are among my most prized possessions.

You can see more about the trees at the American Chestnut Foundation http://www.acf.org/

Nice use of this rare wood. cool 1

James

Back