Custom Kitchen Knives?

NoahL

Hello everyone,

I got to thinking a while back about how I only have one chef knife...which sucks...a set of utility knives...which suck...and a set of paring knives...which suck. After that thinking, I decided that at the very least I need a new chef knife (more of a santoku, really), since that's what I use the most, so I drew up a design and sent it to a knifemaking friend of mine (sadly, I still live in an apartment where I can't have a shop, so no knifemaking for me for now) and he will be making it in June. I'm not a professional chef at all, but I wanted to incorporate things from various kitchen knives I've handled and I don't think it's too bad of a design:

28ix9nc.jpg

Now, that knife will be coming to me in a few months, but in the meantime I was curious to see what kind of custom kitchen cutlery the dogs here have made?

~Noah

Is the overall weight more akin to a santoku or a deba? If you need the weight of a deba I would keep the 'nose.' If you are looking for something more whippy I would lower the height more to that of a gyuto.

BTW, are you looking for an over-priced tinker with Harley payments?:D

Since it hasn't been made yet, I'm not sure exactly how much it will weigh--I know it's being made of 3/32" thick steel, and I know that the balance point should be somewhere between where the index finger and thumb pinch the blade and where the middle finger rests. I don't need anything particularly "whippy" really, as it will be mostly used for dicing veggies and slicing up chicken breast and I don't do either one very fast. The tip curve was chosen more for my own comfort than anything--I cut out the knife pattern in cardboard and cut the tip curve until it felt right against a cutting board. I know, I'm not very sophisticated, scientific, or traditional, haha

EDIT: Not looking for an over-priced tinker with Harley payments, by the way ;)

~Noah

EDIT: Not looking for an over-priced tinker with Harley payments, by the way ;)

*sigh* Looks like I'll have to work for a living.

By your description, I'd say you do need a deba. Is there a kitchen store in your area that specializes in Japanese knives?

if you look in my album i have apic of my wifes i made your drawing looks pretty good the 1 i made issmaller

I've made a few kitchen knives in the past but all I have photos of are
#1 Boneing Knife
004-37.jpg

this is a chefs knife under construction number 5 and another Boneing knife number 4
003-21.jpg

The cleaver is a small chicken cleaver,and the top knife is a paring knife
211.jpg

Back