Transporting sharpening equipment.

T

The Tourist

I have a tackle boxes and the original Edge Pro plastic case that I carry on sharpening appointments by placing them into the front seat of my truck. But I have a crazy idea...

I just bought a second bike, a Sportster 48 to use as a scooter. I was thinking about strapping something like an Apex and few custom waterstones to a small rack for simple jobs--like a knife for a shop mechanic who I meet by chance.

Oh, I've dropped a waterstone or two :)eek:) but I've only experienced minor chips which I could polish out on a flattener.

Do you guys know what more severe bumps and a V-twin's vibration does to stones, fixture alignment, fine road grit, etc?

Be honest, is this a stupid idea?

Chico

Why not pack them in a roll for safe transport? If you can arrange it some nice, soft leather would be best but if not just some sturdy denim.

Tool rolls are easy things to make, especially for something simple like stones. Take a chunk of material, hem it if it needs it, then fold it over the 'stuff' to the right length and stitch it up to make the pockets. Leave a long enough flap to fold over. You can either hand-sew on a tie to keep it closed or be smart and sew it on before sewing the pockets. I've done both, sometimes on purpose. ;)

I've done this for my engraving sharpening stuff - look at the last few pictures here to see how simple it is. The roll shown happens to be for some templates for graver shaping but I've got a similar one for the set of four diamond bench stones that's part of the sharpening set. For that roll I don't tie it, just fold down the flap and fold the two outer stones over the two inner ones. That keeps well enough for the way it's transported.

Velcro can also be added for keeping things closed, or you can just use the two-sided velcro straps.

The key for you would be to make sure that each stone is well enough wrapped to protect it from the bumps and vibrations.

This is my thought, as well. Harley has several round shaped leather and/or ballistic nylon, barrel-shaped packs, many at a very nice price.

While I am licensed for the entire state of Wisconsin, I only work on the eastern side off Dane County. Additionally, a Sportster 48 does not have "long legs." It carries only two gallons of gasoline, it has only a single seat, (both the size and shape of an old Schwinn bicycle) and almost no suspension for a (ahem) large weight liftin' idiot such as myself.

Still, the idea of scootin' around for the afternoon on only a few bucks, stopping at any of the four dealers in my area and actually making money to ride is a concept I cannot shake.

However, some so called 'waterstones' are not quarryed, but they are actually compacted grit. I fear that if you bounce them around long enough and hard enough they might "de-compact."

I intend to only take Edge Pro products. Ben's stones are glued to an aluminum backing plate that snaps into his fixtures. I doubt I'll need many repair tools, and I won't want to tackle a damaged Hattori wasting hours of riding time.

BTW, I'm also going to contact my tax guy. The little Sportster might qualify to be a "company vehicle." :D

Oh, and this teeny scooter needs her own name. Any suggestions?

Of course, you could carry the stones in a back pack - that way your body's absorbing most of the vibrations. With the stones in their own pockets there shouldn't be any real stress being put on the stones.

Name, eh....

I'll have to ponder on that one. Things like 'Tuff-Glide' come to mind but don't seem quite right.

I bought the one with the silver colored tank. And in the old days bikers used to call feisty little girls "spinners."

I now have "Black Betty." Maybe the 48 should be called "Silver Spinner."

As for carrying the stones in a pocket or in a pack, that is what I am trying to avoid. This little bike is all about stripping the weight and the non-essential parts down to zero. If I do augment the little spinner with carrying capacity it will be for Ace-Bandages and Ben-Gay...

"Stone Stripper":D

murphda2 said:
Buy a Pelican Case

LOL. You guys are too much! It's 0315 here and I can't sleep. It's nice to know that I can depend upon you guys to lighten the load.

Ya' know, there's always the excuse that I can tell my clients I cannot sharpen because I have no room to carry tools.;)

How about "Blade Spinner"?

If you go with the pack, it (technically) reduces what you're carrying on the bike, doesn't it? :p

sharpen1

If you go with the pack, it (technically) reduces what you're carrying on the bike, doesn't it?

The key word there is "technically."

I joined a bike club to ride, not sit at club meetings or blow the entire weekend in a tavern. About two years ago the (then) prez of our club was asking older inactive members to come back to be mentors. It sounded good. However in talking to one of the older guys who is still active he informed me that they didn't go for jaunts like "in the day." Oh well, it's not easy being a fudd. Everything I like to do was made illegal or politically incorrect several decades ago...

(And frankly, the bar near the bike shop is more of a day-care center than a biker bar. The weekend band folds up at 5:30 PM, and no one cares. Yikes, we would have partied to 0300!)

How about "Blade Spinner"?

Has a nice 'ring' to it. I'll happily consider it.

My wife pointed out last night that I should just call the Sporty "Spinner." Her point was that riders will get the joke, and cagers don't matter.

Gee, I love that woman!

I am thinking about cannabalizing this:

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb231/TheTourist_bucket/001-9.jpg

This is a cheap Harley "gimmee" they were handing out for free about four years ago. The problem is that it has numerous compartmentalized sections and a big ugly plastic plate in the center for kickstand use on hot, soft asphalt. I'd have to tear the whole thing apart, not that I care. If it lasts a year or two until we find a permanent answer, sobeit. I can't be the only working stiff here who makes house (or restaurant) calls as part of the job.

But that points out a possible solution! Just what do you guys use to transport knife tools in a convenient case? Could I use your idea on bike rack?

Edit: Pardon the crappy maudlin music, but this is the bike I bought. Check out the little rack on the back fender, that's all of the space I have. Yes, I see the saddlebag, but you cannot get that on and off easily.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGJ5lwCbugU&feature=fvsr"]YouTube- 2010 sportster 48.MOV[/nomedia]

Last edited by a moderator:
The freebie looks like it's almost what you want.

Do you have the remains of an old leather jacket? Really, if you have a nice sized chunk of soft leather and access to a way to stitch it (maybe a local shoe repair guy) you can make a nice roll that'll keep 'em safe for you.

The freebie looks like it's almost what you want.

I'll grant you that the "shape" is what I want. The attachment loops look pretty flimsy.

The 'good' thing about this project is that it looks like I have another week to putz around with the issue. The funding got bogged down, and I cannot pick up the bike this afternoon as planned.

I do not have an old leather jacket. I sold off the old stuff as I grew. I do know a woman who repairs leather stuff for my current bike shop, and she owes me--I sharpen her scissors (or is it shears) for free. She might be able to reenforce the seams.

And of course, we have to watch that "tipping point." When I've spent more money than I could derive from profit, the entire project is a waste of time.

In fact, that "profit vs. investment" topic might be of interest to our professional members. Has that ever been discussed here?

In fact, that "profit vs. investment" topic might be of interest to our professional members. Has that ever been discussed here?

There's a good thread on pricing, but profit vs. investment might be worthy of its own thread as well.

Some folks who engage in artistic endeavors get a little squeamish when the word "profit" rears its ugly head. I'm not one of them. I don't see anything wrong with providing a superlative product or service and actually making money off it.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled programming ;)

I'm not one of them.

I'm not one of them, either, although I'm not as mercenary as I was being a younger man. I'm good at my craft, and I should be paid.

But for the purposes of this thread, I am spending $10K on a new Sportster, probably 200 bucks on a carrying 'something leather' and perhaps a new Edge Pro Apex. At best that's 10.5 to sharpen on the fly.

Granted, most of that can be written off, but the "joy riding" cannot. I bite it, and I have to work to make the payments. Oh, and my bookkeeper will raise Cain about profits, as well. That would be my wife.

I think it's a good move, however. I took Betty for a run today. It's cool like an autumn afternoon today and I did 35 highway miles. Betty sucked down some serious premium fuel, and this would have been better served riding the Sportster.

(Here's a thought. What if this little roll was for just "pick-up and delivery"?)

I do know a woman who repairs leather stuff for my current bike shop, and she owes me

Ah ha!

Check with her - she probably has stuff laying around she can make a roll out of for very little cost. Tool rolls are simple things - they're really just a more formalized way of folding your 'cloth' around the stuff and rolling it up.

Yeah, I think you're right. Her services might be able to provide things I cannot obtain off-the-shelf.

Talked to the wife tonight. She thinks a pick-up and delivery service might be a better idea. I can "ride" during the day appearing to pick up business, and then sharpen at night when there's nothing on the tube except reality shows.

I do have bungee cords! :D

Back