Rough-n-Ready Cowboy Bowie

Josh Dabney

Here is my most recent completed knife and sheath.

This knife is my test case for an idea I've got of offering knives with a well loved patina, very little hand finishing, and representing a price point that may draw some new blood into the custom knife world.

-8 3/4" cutting edge of 1080 steel fully hardened and tempered 2 hours x2 at 375 degrees.
-Cold blued with a mild bleech etch
-Antiqued brass hardware
-Elk scales with peened brass pins
-9/10 oz sheath handstitched with custom landscape gravel tooling :D

bargainbowie027-1.jpg

bargainbowie029-1.jpg

bargainbowie030-1.jpg

bargainbowie031-1.jpg

bargainbowie033-1.jpg

Let me know what you guys think - Josh

I like it. Good looking unit with sheath that complements it well.
Looks like you hit your mark to me. Dozier

Looks good, did you use cold blue on the brass?

It's got a good flow.

I really like the sheath, thanks for posting a pic of the back side. I will finish a dagger to day and start my first leather sheath. I like the organic tooling.

I'm not a fan of lanyard holes, but you know how opinions are, everybody has one.

Thanks for the comments fellas !

Mark, the cold blue was used on the blade only. I used a product from Ajax called Jax Black to put the pating on the brass.

I've used amonia and ferric chloride to antique brass in the past but this Jax Black reall does a nice job fast !

I got the Jax Black from Sheffields by the way.

-Josh

Boss, knife, sheath, and shipping = $250 Iron Chicken = Priceless

Denton, Those are really the best pics but I did take a few pics while putting this knife through some testing. I have been wanting to try the free hanging rope cut so I gave it a go with some small diameter synthetic rope I had at the house.

bargainbowie024.jpg

bargainbowie025.jpg

bargainbowie026.jpg

I do appreciate the comments fellas , Josh

Josh, I really like that classic old school look, fantastic!!!

Jeff

Looks good Josh! I like the blued blade with the elk scales.

Do you mind if I borrow (steal?) the landscape gravel tooling idea? I have an endless array of those 'tools' just outside my door ;-)

Josh,

Beautiful knife and looks like a great user as well. I would also skip the lanyard hole. I don't know when they became so popular, but I don't care for them.

I like the front and rear bolster and elk slabs. They give it the genuine gold miners look. It seems to be a performer too. Isnt it nice to cut up stuff?

Back