Buck 110 Rebuild

Rock

I have a Buck 110 that has been with me over thirty years, but the scales (slabs?) need replacing and the bolsters have lettering stamped in them that probably needs to be ground off.

I have never built a knife, but think this is a project that I would like to do and can handle for starters. Any guidance on finding replacement pins and scales as well as disassembly and rebuild would be greatly appreciated.

Pics to come.

Thanks! huh1

i've done a couple of buck 110s and when you remove the old scales save them as a pattern for the new scales the front and rear bolsters on a 110 are different angles and it is real tough to get those angles without using the old scales for the pattern. once the scales are off just remove the pins with a pair of pliers.the new scales will be just a little thicker then 1/8 inch grand levitt of snake river knives makes some real nice damascus blades for buck 110s. hope this helps some

James, are the scales glued and pinned? Is there a recommended way to remove them without shredding them or mangling the brass?

I will take pictures of anything I do if I can feel confident enough that I am headed in the right direction to proceed.

Thanks

I would assume they are glued as well as pinned, but I don't really know. You might try asking on the Buck sub-forum over on BF.

no glue just pinned on the 110 scales, i just took my dremmel tool and ground the pin off on top of the scale where it is peened and the scale just slide up and off the pin. the center pin is for the back spring and the others are scale pins that pull out real easy.

hey rock, the only pin that i put back in was center the pin for the back spring, and i ground it down so that it fit under the scales, you will see what i mean when you get the scales off. that center pin will only be about 1/4 inch long when you put it back in. watch out that you dont get any glue in the old pin holes when you glue it back up or it will get on the blade if closed or stop it from closing if open, a piece of tape on the inside of the liners will stop this from happening.. NO GLUE ON THE CENTER PIN the scales will hold it in

Well that's cool. Thanks James. There's a lot a person could do on that platform.

Rock, what kind of scales are you thinking about?

I don't know yet, James. I have only hand tools, and I know you need respirators for G10 (and Micarta?). I'd like something a bit different if I go ahead with it.

hey rock, check out camel bone maybe dyed it is fairly easy to sand and very reasonably priced and alittle thicker then you need. 1/8" thick will not work it's to thin and 1/4 is going to be alot of sanding by hand

Honestly, you should wear some kind of mask when grinding ANYthing. But if you're going to use hand-tools, you could *probably* get away without one. Cutting with a hacksaw and shaping with files, for instance, isn't going to throw much dust or release toxic fumes like shaping G10 or micarta on a grinder does. Please don't keel over and sue me!!

Anyway I'm just thinking out loud. There's a ridiculous amount of cool scale materials available these days, natural, man-made and inbetween. If you can dream it up I bet you can find it.

How deep is the lettering stamped into the bolsters? That may or may not complicate things a little.

Last edited:
Jim Coffee Buck Beautification

Here's a pick of a Buck mod by Jim Coffee. I took it through the glass in my case, but you get the idea. It has fossil mammoth teeth and hand textured scales and sweet filework. It has an honored spot next to a Mel Pardue custom and some pre Apartheid South African folding money.

As you can see, the man knows his "biscuits and gravy" when it comes to Buck's.

Steve

Attachments

• buck 001.jpg
    buck 001.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 49
Back