Quigley Down Under Knife???

I've watched "Quigley" several times and I never noticed that knife. I guess I was too focussed on the rifle. I do remember him pulling a small knife from his boot and using it on someone.

David

I do remember that knife from the movie, but I can't remember which scenes. It has been years since I have watched it. As my father, brother, and I watched the movie and they drooled over the rifle I was watching the knives (yes, even as a kid I was fixated on them). If I recall correctly, the knife was only shown in two or three scenes. It received very minimal exposure in the movie if I recall correctly.

He he he...

Yeah that was a nice gun. I got a reproduction of that gun in a lot of rifles I bought from a guy. Never shot it before I resold it :(

Love the Sharps and plan to get a single shot lever action of some kind in .45-70 someday, but the fighter-ish thing is cool too. You only see it in the opening credits. Looks like a hidden-tang fighter with a (stag? elk?) horn handle. Silver buttcap and guard. Obviously a stock removal blade because the bottom of the ricasso is flush with the edge of the blade. Clip is about half the length of the blade. I managed three screenshots before I got tired of trying to "time" hitting the pause button!

Attachments

• quigley1.jpg
    quigley1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 153
  • quigley2.jpg
    quigley2.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 137
  • quigley3.jpg
    quigley3.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 162
Not a real impressive bowie really for Him. He is more of a "gun man" I would say. Its cool to see it though. Thanks for taking time to snap some pictures.

Obviously a stock removal blade because the bottom of the ricasso is flush with the edge of the blade.

Good observation on the grind but I can think of at least one bladesmith that forges all his blades with the ricasso flush to the edge of the blade......Ed Fowler. He has told the story many times that he found by testing that a truly high performance blade should be flush at the ricasso to keep it from hanging up when being used to the full length of the blade. It may well be a stock removal blade as there appears to be no makers mark, and may have been made only as a prop.

Just a passing thought on blade construction methods. :D

Matthew Quigley was a bad arse :) Bowie or not, but him packing around that honkin knife made the movie alot better :)

Matthew Quigley carried at least 2 knives.

One was the belt knife pictured in one of the posts above.

The other was a boot knife he used to stab one of the drovers when he and the girl were dumped in the Outback and left for dead. It looked to be a drop point of some sort, with about a 4 inch blade, wood handle, with decorative poured pewter bolsters.

There is a scene where he is using a knife to cut kangaroo laces to braid into a lariat, but I'd have to watch the movie again to see which knife he's using there (not that that's a problem). :D

The knife was a Chuck Stapel custom knife made for Tom Sellick for the movie.

Selleck is known to be period accurate in the clothing and trappings he uses in his westerns. If you like "Quigly Down Under" (one of my favorite movies) you should aslo check out "Crossfire Trail" (Louis L'Amour story) and "Last Stand at Saber River". The last two were made for TV movies but still pretty good with good casts.

Back