How to cut out steel?

There are alot of different ways, here are a few that I know of.

Angle Grinder with a cut off wheel..... I know there are some people who do this. I have heard(not 100%sure if its true) that you can get the steel hot enough to harden a little with this method.

Hacksaw.......... Get a good hack saw and just start sawing, There are people who drill holes along the whole profile then just connect the dots with the hacksaw.

Bandsaw........ This is the most common, You can either get a big bandsaw or get a portable bandsaw and mount it on a bench.thats what I do. There are alot of other makers who use portabands. The most common is the dewalt but I have a harbor freight and its working just fine.

Hope this help!!!

A HAMMER! OK, that was a joke...I'm just feeling froggy this morning. Actually I do use a hammer, because most of my blades are forged.

Cutting out blanks for stock removal knives can take on many forms. Bandsaw, cutoff wheels, and some folks who don't have a lot of tools will drill holes all around the profile and hacksaw the rest.

Personally, I think that the best low-tech method is to purchase steel stock in sizes that closely match the patterns your making, and if you have a belt grinder, it's much easier and far less time consuming to just grind out the profile(s).

I'm a stock removal guy. Not having a bandsaw yet, I use rotary tool with a fiberglass cut-off wheel to chunk off the big corners and do the main profile on the belt-grinder. Smaller contours get ground with a sanding drum mounted in the rotary tool, and really small details are shaped with files.

If you want a few that are all the same, talk to Dave at Great Lakes Waterjet. I've only had one batch cut by him, but they came out really nice and the cost was offset by what I saved on belts, time, etc. He will also do single pieces to your design.

I'm a stock removal guy. Not having a bandsaw yet, I use rotary tool with a fiberglass cut-off wheel to chunk off the big corners and do the main profile on the belt-grinder. Smaller contours get ground with a sanding drum mounted in the rotary tool, and really small details are shaped with files.

If you want a few that are all the same, talk to Dave at Great Lakes Waterjet. I've only had one batch cut by him, but they came out really nice and the cost was offset by what I saved on belts, time, etc. He will also do single pieces to your design.

That is also what I do, Did you know they have some new attachments with newer cutoff wheels? They work MUCH better than the older ones and even have a "Fast Change" shaft.

Got a link, poco?

Here you go James. I got mine from Lowe's, so I just searched their site and came up with this. These wheel will last longer than the other Cut-off wheels. I use them to thin it down and then finish with a Hacksaw just to prevent a flying piece of steel. I don't think it would send it flying, but I'd rather just be safer.

Look here. Just click on the word "Here".

Last edited:
well, my dad being the awesome person he is went to harbor freight and got me a 4 inch angle grinder with cutoff wheels :D and a bunch of other grinding stuff, i will get pics with the finished knife :D or maybe a WIP thread :D

rock on, pugsrok! Wear your safety glasses or a face-shield when you use that thing. Do not direct the impressive blast of sparks towards the dirty-laundry pile.

Remember, Father's Day is comin' up in a couple months. Give your dad something you made, ball-game tickets or his favorite snack. NOT a tie.

rock on, pugsrok! Wear your safety glasses or a face-shield when you use that thing. Do not direct the impressive blast of sparks towards the dirty-laundry pile.

Remember, Father's Day is comin' up in a couple months. Give your dad something you made, ball-game tickets or his favorite snack. NOT a tie.

A knife? :D cool 1:running dog:

Pugs I am looking forward to seeing what you do. If you have any question ask them. All of us here on KD would rather answer the same questions a hundred times than you thinking it has been answered and you can't find it. We are here to help you as much as you will let us.

Pugs I am looking forward to seeing what you do. If you have any question ask them. All of us here on KD would rather answer the same questions a hundred times than you thinking it has been answered and you can't find it. We are here to help you as much as you will let us.

I love how welcoming you all are, i don't see why more people don't make knives, the people are much more friendly than most other hobbies ( at least most i have looked at)

Back