Any Dogs Near Ft. Polk, La?

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Well, that time has finally rolled around and I'm being sent to good ole Ft. Polk, La for a month. Long story short, I'll be at Ft. Polk for almost the entire month of May. If the group I'm going with is like the last group that went down, we'll have a fair amount of down time and I know there is nothing to do for entertainment in Leesville. I thought that if we had any dogs in the area I might have time to come do a shop tour and hang out for a bit.

If you're in the area, let me know and maybe we can spend an afternoon talking knives while I'm in the area.

I was there for over a year back in 1976. Sleezeville had nothing back then.

We used to go to the lakes on post and catch fresh water crabs with chicken bones. Made for a great afternoon, somebody's wife always knew just how to cook them and back then I drank beer so the day was complete.

There are a couple knifemakers up north from there but may be too far a drive.

Bob

Fort Polk, might want to start a new project, books, get real fit, travel some, pretty much no where USA. When I was in the service the mechanics used to refer to the Fort Polk mud as the only stuff that could stop a Humvee. I was NOT stationed there though.
Hope you find a dog or something to do.
Dozier

Well, that time has finally rolled around and I'm being sent to good ole Ft. Polk, La for a month. Long story short, I'll be at Ft. Polk for almost the entire month of May. If the group I'm going with is like the last group that went down, we'll have a fair amount of down time and I know there is nothing to do for entertainment in Leesville. I thought that if we had any dogs in the area I might have time to come do a shop tour and hang out for a bit.

If you're in the area, let me know and maybe we can spend an afternoon talking knives while I'm in the area.

Murph if it gets too bad, you can stretch your legs way out, I'm probably about 4 maybe 5....I don't know possibly 6 hours from somewhere in La. So if you get desperate come on over we'll spend the weekend forging!! I've got plenty of steel, 2 tanks of gas, and if we plan it right we might even get Charlie to come over! You know you LOVED being in Alabama!!! Go ahead tell all the Dawgs how great it is down here in the Sunny SOUTH!!!!

I know I'm being a bit tongue and cheek, but serously Bro` my door is always open for you, I got a couch that might fit ya pretty good too! Unless you like roughing it, then I've got several hundred pristine camping spots!!!! You're welcome anytime! Rex

Hey Murph, I'm about 1&1/2 hours from Ft. Polk. Unless you like topless bars there aint much to do there. You are always welcome for a shop tour and a home cooked meal. Just give me a day or so to be sure I'll be around. If you think you'd like to come, let me know & I'll PM you a phone number & directions. I live on a lake well known for crappie fishing, so if you're interested we may even plan a fishing trip. Let me know what you think.

Appreciate the invite gentlemen.

Darrin, if I find that I have the time I'll take you up on the offer.

Rex, I'll be coming over to see you before long, but it will have to be after I finish my JRTC rotation and get back to Mississippi. The drive from Hattiesburg to your place is a heck of alot shorter.

Appreciate the invite gentlemen.

Darrin, if I find that I have the time I'll take you up on the offer.

Rex, I'll be coming over to see you before long, but it will have to be after I finish my JRTC rotation and get back to Mississippi. The drive from Hattiesburg to your place is a heck of alot shorter.

You are planning on going to Blade aintcha`? We can plan on a get together there, we haven't decided if we're going for Fri, Sat, and Sun. Or some different combination of the first 2 or last 2 days. When you due to go back to Mississippi?

Rex, If you haven't been before, go for all three days. You can't absorb it all even if it were open for a week and you were there for every minute. 'Course sooner or later you go into "Overload" and you will blow your circuit brakers.

The wife and my anniversay is on June 1st and then we will be heading toward BLADE on Wednesday or Thursday (if we find a babysitter for the dogs).

After looking over my expenses from Batson's, I realized I went a little overboard. Now I need to make some money to pay for our trip to Atlanta. I guess it is time to look thru the collection and see what I can live without. :( I do have a few pieces I'm not emotionally attached to.

Rex, If you haven't been before, go for all three days. You can't absorb it all even if it were open for a week and you were there for every minute. 'Course sooner or later you go into "Overload" and you will blow your circuit brakers.

Hey Wayne,
I got my cherry popped last year, we went for Saturday and Sunday, the only thing we discussed changing about our arrangements from last year is that we stayed at the Days Inn across from the Waverly, saved us about 50 bucks, but it was a huge pain to not have the room closer. We decided last year to stay at the Waverly this year. Blade is such an overwhelming experience that it takes at least 2 days to take it all in, but 3 days would allow for more of the seminars and demos. The biggest problem I have this year is the following week after Blade I have to work in Birmingham, its only about an hours drive from home, but I'll be doing that all week. I know last year I was wiped out the following Monday, (Tuesday too) after Blade, so we may go for Friday and Saturday, we'll decide about Sunday pretty soon. I guess if I was making some money at Blade it would be a lot easier to stay for that Sunday. Instead I'll be blowing cash like I actually have plenty!!!! Blade is the closest we get to taking a vacation, so we make a big time of it.
BTW Wayne, do you still have that treadle hammer? I have been thinking about it, and I might be interested. Let me know if you still have it or can build another one and then I'll PM you, Rex

Rex, I do have the treadle hammer and can bring it to Blade if you want. Price is $1,100.00. It is my personal unit from when we built them at the Alex Bealer Blacksmith Association several years ago. I have done some fine tuning on it and it works extremely smoothly. I am selling it because I traided a belt grinder for another one that was built in the same workshop. The traided for one still needs the fine tuning done on it and I will keep it.

As for getting one built John Wayne Taylor and Harry Brock of the Alabama Forge Council will build one for $1200.00.

Rex, I do have the treadle hammer and can bring it to Blade if you want. Price is $1,100.00. It is my personal unit from when we built them at the Alex Bealer Blacksmith Association several years ago. I have done some fine tuning on it and it works extremely smoothly. I am selling it because I traided a belt grinder for another one that was built in the same workshop. The traided for one still needs the fine tuning done on it and I will keep it.

As for getting one built John Wayne Taylor and Harry Brock of the Alabama Forge Council will build one for $1200.00.

Wayne,
I met John Wayne at Batsons, seems like a nice enough fella, but he aint a DAWG! One of the the beautiful things about this forum is that we have the opportunity to support each other, of course that's a choice. The other thing is that I like you. Let me work on it. I have never used one, I've been holding out for the possibility of getting a power hammer one day, maybe one falling out of the sky and landing softly in my shop looks about as close as I'll get right now. Can you privately (or publicly if others can benefit from it) educate me on the benefits of using one, I understand that it hits the hot steel, but can the blows be adjusted lighter or harder. What about using dies? And do you have any that I can get? Does it have a slot for putting dies in it similar to a power hammer? What is the weight of the hammer (or is that called a ram?) Can a heavier one be put on that hammer without messing anything up. See? I told you I didn't know anything about them! Isn't there an event coming up at Tannehill in May that you were planning on attending? How much does it weigh? Can it be thought of like a power hammer, just without the power? Can you send me your phone number, I'll give you a call later tonight when I get done working, I've got to get back at it, still have a tree to cut down. 2 to cut up and grass to cut before I can get to the shop to play...err, I mean work on some knives! Talk to you later, Rex

The wife and my anniversay is on June 1st and then we will be heading toward BLADE on Wednesday or Thursday (if we find a babysitter for the dogs).

After looking over my expenses from Batson's, I realized I went a little overboard. Now I need to make some money to pay for our trip to Atlanta. I guess it is time to look thru the collection and see what I can live without. :( I do have a few pieces I'm not emotionally attached to.

Murph send me some pics, I have made it a tradition every Christmas to give the Pup, and my step son a custom knife, their collection is looking pretty good, I maybe interested in something you have, probably not the Japanese Tanto, it's too big and I get visions of sword fights running through my head! Thanks Bro` Rex

A treadle hammer is a foot operated mechanical hammer. Think of it as a third hand or having a striker around that you don't have to pay. (Isn't that what the Pup is for?) It is not a power hammer, nor is it a hydraulic press or a fly press. It will do things that other tools won't do as well and there are things that they will do better than a treadle hammer. I have an anvil (actually several), a power hammer, treadle hammer and a hydraulic press. I would not be without any of them but then, I'm a blacksmith.
Yes, you can adjust how hard or light it hits, it just depends on how hard you push the treadle down. You can do very hard blows, harder than you would ever do with a hand hammer.

I have lots of dies but will be keeping them to use on the treadle hammer in my shop. I can give you lots of ideas about dies that you might want to build.

Rather than having a slot like some presses it has 1" square "hardy holes", top and bottom. All of the tools for my TH fit my anvils and press. (my press is set up more like a fly press than the knifemaker presses.

The ram on this TH is about 75#. I would not advise installing a heavier ram because the ram is raised by springs. If you had a heavier ram you would need stronger springs. Then it would take more energy to depress the treadle. The ram needs to just "float".

The next event at Tannehill I will be attending is the first weekend after Labor Day in September. It is the AFC's Blacksmithing Conference. Come on up, you will enjoy it. Remember the RR Spike Knife that Raymond Head had in the Spike contest at Batson's? The guy that taught Raymond how to make that is going to be one of the demonstrators, so maybe there will be something that you can learn about knife making. Or just stuff that you might enjoy. Cost of the conference is $30.00 but you have to be a member of AFC ($20.00 a year) so just figure $50.00 for the conference and you get the newsletter for a year.

I'm not sure about the overall weight but I think that it is about 700#.

There are lots of options for a power hammer. About the cheapest and a good way to go is the "Tire Hammer". Clay Spencer and John Wayne build them for 2 and a half times as much as the treadle hammer ($2,500.00).

Did I answer everything?

As I said above, it is not a power hammer although a lot of power can be delivered with it.

A treadle hammer is a foot operated mechanical hammer. Think of it as a third hand or having a striker around that you don't have to pay. (Isn't that what the Pup is for?) It is not a power hammer, nor is it a hydraulic press or a fly press. It will do things that other tools won't do as well and there are things that they will do better than a treadle hammer. I have an anvil (actually several), a power hammer, treadle hammer and a hydraulic press. I would not be without any of them but then, I'm a blacksmith.
Yes, you can adjust how hard or light it hits, it just depends on how hard you push the treadle down. You can do very hard blows, harder than you would ever do with a hand hammer.

I have lots of dies but will be keeping them to use on the treadle hammer in my shop. I can give you lots of ideas about dies that you might want to build.

Rather than having a slot like some presses it has 1" square "hardy holes", top and bottom. All of the tools for my TH fit my anvils and press. (my press is set up more like a fly press than the knifemaker presses.

The ram on this TH is about 75#. I would not advise installing a heavier ram because the ram is raised by springs. If you had a heavier ram you would need stronger springs. Then it would take more energy to depress the treadle. The ram needs to just "float".

The next event at Tannehill I will be attending is the first weekend after Labor Day in September. It is the AFC's Blacksmithing Conference. Come on up, you will enjoy it. Remember the RR Spike Knife that Raymond Head had in the Spike contest at Batson's? The guy that taught Raymond how to make that is going to be one of the demonstrators, so maybe there will be something that you can learn about knife making. Or just stuff that you might enjoy. Cost of the conference is $30.00 but you have to be a member of AFC ($20.00 a year) so just figure $50.00 for the conference and you get the newsletter for a year.

I'm not sure about the overall weight but I think that it is about 700#.

There are lots of options for a power hammer. About the cheapest and a good way to go is the "Tire Hammer". Clay Spencer and John Wayne build them for 2 and a half times as much as the treadle hammer ($2,500.00).

Did I answer everything?

As I said above, it is not a power hammer although a lot of power can be delivered with it.

Wayne,
I'm thinking it's a viable option to a power hammer until I can afford one. Am I correct in my thinking? I know I can't get the output of a power hammer from a treadle hammer. A tire hammer I've heard of, does it work more like a power hammer? I think we might be able to work out a deal on your treadle hammer, with the health problems I have a power hammer would make things so much easier, but I don't think I'm quite ready for one skill wise. A treadle hammer as slow and deliberate as it is should be a good learning tool or the precursor tool to a power hammer, not to mention the wear and tear I can save on my elbows! And hopefully help me increase my output so maybe I can make more money, I dearly love hammering hot steel, (by hand), but there has to be a place where I have to decide if I'm going to spend more time hammering and making less money or less time hammering and attempting to make more money! I know I must sound like a money grubbing miser, but if you saw the prices of my hand made knives you would know that I'm far from it. I try not to give them away. If I could afford to I probably would, I try to make enough money to pay for the materials, and a little for my time. I think there should be more folks making high quality hand made knives at a reasonable price for the consumer. I also understand that when someone puts their heart and soul into blade AND they have the skill to justify the price they should get it, not to mention when the secondary market starts buying them up and they are making more money on the blade than the maker, that's what drives the price way up. Seems like an insult when someone buys a knife from a maker and 5 minutes later turns around and doubles the money he spent, OK I've done veered way off topic, I'll stop there. Wayne send me you phone number so we can talk about it, Thanks Buddy, Rex

Rex, I would not liken the treadle hammer to a power hammer but you can definately get heavier blows with it than with a hand hammer. If you are having problems because of hammering this may be a good alternative. The Tire Hammer is similar to a 50# Little Giant mechanical hammer. For the money it is a good power hammer. Personally I like larger dies and dies with dove tails so I have a Big Blu 155 Max. If you get the treadle hammer you can make tooling for it and get a lot of use from it. When Clay Spencer started the treadle hammers he was using it for very heavy blows. Doing what you are talking about. Later if you get a power hammer I bet you will keep the treadle hammer. If not you should be able to sell it and get your money back or at least most of it.

Maybe you will want to come on up here after the Blade Show and get so pointers on using it and tooling.

I did PM you last night with my phone #.

I understand what you are saying about people selling knives and all. In blacksmithing many galleries want to handle you work on a contengency basis (they don't pay for it until it sells) and get from 40% to 60% of the sales price. Yes, they have overhead but it still galls me when they want to make more than I charge.

I'll talk to you later. Keep in mind that you are an hour later than I am and I am old and go to bed early.

Me too was there in Little Vietnam(Ft Polk)for almost three years, North Fort. I know a knife maker in the area but he is not a "Dog" His name is Spencer Reiter or SAR. If you search him, his info will scome up...Back in the day,Polk was also called the back end of the Army
As in the south end of the horse. Also combat with Fireants. Man, some memories...

Last edited:
Back