The motocycle wave

stabber

Knife Dealer Extraordinaire
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7tBHoq49RU"]YouTube- The Motorcycle Wave - The Solution[/nomedia]

My first motorcycle wave, I was so excited, I waved over the handlebars like Jojo the circus freak walking past the monkey cage.

I think it's a fad or craze that has over-stayed its welcome.

When I got into bikes in the 1960s there were few of them touring on the open road. Heck, other than BMWs and a few Honda Fours not many could tour, at all. The odds of meeting one on the highway logging major miles was quite rare.

In fact, as late as the early 1990s my wife and I routinely saw broken-down Harleys along I-94 going to South Dakota.

However, during the past five years I've only had to stop for one bike--and he was just out of gas. Bikes have become more reliable. Yes, I've made upgrades and I will continue to do so. I snapped a throttle cable a few years back. (Harley already has a "fly by wire" feature on some of its line.)

But hippies are now corporate execs and drive their spoiled children to soccer practice in the family Prius. They don't flash the "peace sign" and remark "Later, dude."

I don't think we should 'wave' either. But yeah, I do "two low" to fellow Harley riders. If anything it shows respect to guys who can save money or hold a real job.

wave...don't wave...

You are too concerned about what was and what will be. There is a saying: yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the "present."
cool 1

Eh. I live in Madison, Wisconsin. Don't you know, the Vietnam War is still going on. We still have hippies living in scrapped out VW micro-buses. We even have a holiday here where dairy cows get to graze on the Capitol lawn.

To the average squirrel living in this burg, I'm Buck Rogers.

I have been riding Harleys since the late 1950s and have toured all of the states in the Continental US. I have owned a motorcycle shop most of my life. In the early days we waved to show recognition of one of our own, the individualist, the one who stepped away from the normal way to travel.

In later years it seemed every one on a bike waved. That was ok, ya just wave back. Today there are so many bikes on the road if you wave at every bike you see your hands would never be on the handlebars. Now days I keep my hands on the grips where they're supposed to be and I just wave if they wave first.

Larry

Now days I keep my hands on the grips where they're supposed to be

I know the feeling. This year I went out and bought a helmet--my first since 1978 (I believe, could be 1974.)

Is it just me, or do they sell drivers licenses three-for-a-dollar now? If driving skills are taught now it must be from a pop-up picture book.

It's amazing how stupid intelligent people can get when they get behind the wheel of a car.

When I get on my scooter I take the mind set I am invisible, no one can see me, and I act accordingly. I believe it has saved my life several times.

Larry

I agree. However, you give these guys far too much credit.

I think the collective intelligence of this country is in the toilet. I figure either the flower children did damage to their ability to breed with too much LSD, or their kids ate too many lead paint chips.

Frankly, it's a blessing they drive those little plastic ricer cars. If these bozos were driving an old solid Buick they'd be brainless battering rams. At least if I'm hit by a plastic car my metal V-twin engine might shatter (or melt) the oncoming cascade of miniature car-like resin.

Arguing with them does no good. I cannot think of enough monosyllable words to construct an idea to victims of outcome based education.

At least the epithet "frak" they perceive from Battlestar Galactica.

Back