SPAM or is he serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Coe

Forum Owner - Moderator
Recently I received these two PMs on my Etsy site. He sounds legitimate but I had not had anything posted on my site for quite a while, so, how did he know that I make knives and might be a candidate for this service? Either he had seen my site earlier and there were knives there, or maybe just because the name of my site contains the word "Blacksmith"? Then after I responded he was wanting my email address rather than use the Etsy PM service.
These PMs are in reverse order.

by absarokabobprofile
bullet_blue.gif
shop
bullet_blue.gif
contact ps: if you will send me your email address, I will resend my original email, which has a lot more of 'my story' in it.19 April 2010 12:27pm EDT
grey.gif
by absarokabobprofile
bullet_blue.gif
shop
bullet_blue.gif
contact Hi, Wayne. Thanks for responding. I wrote a long email, and it came back, saying 'you have to reply, using ETSY', so here goes again. All but one of the 7 Bowie blanks are profiled and partly ground and are 3/16 with 10" blades and are from an old mill saw. The 7th is L6 and full tang and untouched, also with 10" blade. And there is one 5" untouched. Whichever grind is easiest for you. Don't know about hardening. I guess it depends upon cost. Many thanks. Bob19 April 2010 12:26pm EDT
iusa_50x50.6030052.jpg
by WayneCoeBlacksmithprofile
bullet_blue.gif
shop Bob, send me some more information please. Are the blades hardened? If not do you want me to harden them also? What kind of a grind do you want? Anything that you can think of that would help me determine your needs and my ability to help would be a plus. If you want you can send me your phone # and I could call you after we know more of what the job would entail.
Thanks,
Wayne18 April 2010 8:27pm EDT
grey.gif
by absarokabobprofile
bullet_blue.gif
shop
bullet_blue.gif
contact Hi, Wayne: I'm an old guy in Troutdale, OR, a hobbyist knifemaker, and I have a handful of Bowie blanks I picked up along the way, and they are waaaaay too much for me to grind (L-6), and I saw your ad and was wondering if you'd grind 'em for me for a fee, of course. Many thanks. Bob18 April 2010 8:05pm EDT

I am very busy right now and would not be able to get to your job. I have posted this information on a knife forum that I use for any one interested. If anyone contacts me I will let you know how to get in touch with them.

Interestingly on the same day I got this PM there: Again I hadn't had anything posted for sale in quite a while but he did refer to a knife that had been posted for sale. None of the message make much sense about needing my address to send a certified check via fedEx delivery and having a mover come pick up the item. After all the knife is not bulky or weigh a ton.

by garryrandyprofile
bullet_blue.gif
shop
bullet_blue.gif
contact Hello,
I'm so sorry for not getting back to you sooner..just to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item,am ready for its purchase and my form of payment will be by sending you certified Check via fedEx delivery.

I'll be responsible for the pick-up to avoid delay and to enable my mover agent to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after it has been cashed,as i have other goods to be moved alongside with yours...I would have really love to come for the viewing but due to my work frame that might not be possible,but if you have the pics,might want to have a good look into it. Please do get back to me through my business email(garryrandy@yahoo.com) with your (Full name and Address including your zip code)..so i can make out payment...I await your quick response soonest.

Thanks.

Neither of these people have posted any profile.

If anyone is interested in looking into grinding the blades PM me and I will get you in contact with him.

Please let me know what you think.

Following is my last response to him.

I am very busy right now and would not be able to get to your job. I have posted this information on a knife forum that I use for any one interested. If anyone contacts me I will let you know how to get in touch with them.
Thanks for asking.

Last edited:
Hmmm. That fish smells like it's been laying out in the sun for quite a while. Sounds like a scam.

Pat

The tip off for me is the "a mover come pick up the item"

As you say the knife is small and simple to ship.

I believe that if you had time to examine and cash the "certified cheque" you would find it to be false and simply not ship the item out.

By picking it up, they would have the goods and be gone before you realize the bad certified cheque.

SCAM for sure. The check will actually clear the bank. Not sure how they do that but it clears, then you ship out the knife or Knives and about 10 days later the bank drags the cash back out of your account.

If they do not haggle over price or details, you can bet it is a scam. Tell them to pay you with PayPal and they will never contact you again.

Bob

The one that was wanting to buy the knife by sending a cashier's check and have it picked up by the mover I felt pretty sure was spam and it alone I would definitely ignored. The other one (bob) who lives in Or. wanted to send knife blanks to me to be ground. I was actually concerned that it was someone phishing for e-mail addys, phone #s and addresses. I asked for his phone # and instead he asked for my e-mail addy. I already get enough spam and felt that this might be someone wanting to add to his spam list so that he could sell it.

It´s quite unny how polite ******* is in these posts. As well the other member.Who said to call the Attorney General?

Last edited by a moderator:
What is with all these "is it a scam posts?"

Everyone gets these everyday about all manor of things. Some scammer puts knives as a subject and we wonder if it's real?

Come on guys, if it sounds too good to be true, it is.

Move along nothing to see here....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back