Absorbing Greatness

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
Hey guys,
When you were a kid playing ball on a sandlot, did you ever wish you could you have played with the greats? Who wouldn't have wanted to be on a team with The Babe, Stan Musial or Hammerin' Hank Aaron? Maybe we all can't aspire to ultimate greatness like these guys, but we all wanted to be there, didn't we?

Well guys WE are there now!!

We are all winners in our own right. This forum is proof of that. We take care of our families, we help others and we work hard at it when others are scratching just to make it.

While artistic ability and talent are all reached at different personal levels, the opportunity to have our work looked at and praised by the truly great masters of the knife culture is something that I don't believe can be achieved in many other hobbies or professions. Give Rembrandt some paint and he is a master, give me the same paint and I'll do the porch, but I will be thrilled when he steps back and say "that is a fine looking porch, buddy".

Just think of yourself shooting hoops in the school yard one day where the rim hasn't seen a net in many years and graffitti is sprayed on the backboard when along comes Michael Jordan, gives you a few tips, pats you on the back and say "great job, keep up the hard work".

We really are there now, Look around you.

Read of the accolades that our fellow Knife Dogs have garnered and I don't think you can disagree.

I want to take this little fragment of time and throw out a huge "attaboy, sir" to Bruce D. Bump, whose work ethic, sense of detail and selfless commitment to helping others (knife makers, orphans and people in general) make him an icon in our world. When the history of knives, guns and fine art is written and edited, he will be right there in alphabetical order with the other masters.

Regards,
Steve

Very well said Steven. I have gained more knowledge from the members here and because of the members here in the past several months than I would have gained in years of self study

Right you are, Steven. I suspect many newer members don't even realize how accomplished a lot of the more senior members really are. These are guys with multiple awards, some of whom have been published time and time again in national magazines and books. But you would never know it by their posts, because to a man, they're humble and open-hearted.

The WIPs some of these craftsmen have provided, on their own time, represent YEARS of study. Doing even a simple WIP with pics adds a lot of time and work to a project. Yet these folks do it for nothing. Thank you sincerely, gentlemen.

I would like to add a few humble words. THANK YOU ALL! Without this group of people, my stuff would have never made it past my thick skull. Thanks agin. I can not say this enough.

The level of talent, skill and creativity of some of the makers here amazes me. What amazes me even more is there willingness to share their wealth of knowledge that they have with us newbies.

I appreciate it and say a sincere THANK YOU to those who take their time to teach us.

BJ

I agree whole-heartedly. There is so much knowledge and talent that follow and create these topics. Without whom, I for one would still be in the dark about so much of this. Thanks to everyone that participates. Especially those who give for the sake of love of the craft. Knowledge must be passed on otherwise it dies quickly.

Pat

there is some amazing talent here. I am impressed every day.

there is some amazing talent here. I am impressed every day.

Thank you......... oh waitShort Bus All kidding aside.......

There are to many people for me to thank. Everyone on this site and especially Boss for making this site possible.

There has been so many people that have gave me priceless info, let me visit their shop, gave me non stop encouragement, and helped me out in one way or another.
Like all who helped me with supplies, held a raffle for my family, and ordered knives from me.

Like I said before I am in truly in dept to you all, I honestly believe that if it was not for this site and the people here I would not as far as I am.

I have been helping a couple people as much as I can, that to me is what its about helping others and in a couple ways I feel I can actually do that.

Very well stated! Everyone

This is what makes this the BEST knife site on the net! Great people sharing knowledge and experiences with each other!
Im new to the site and in just a few days, Have learned for many of the posts.. And I have just began to scratch the surface! Im HOOKED!

I stand in awe, or well, sit drooling all over the keyboard most of the time! looking at the amazing work of some of the best makers in the world! Its truly a pleasure, We are so Blessed!

Man,I'm usually pretty good at stringin' words together in a deep and meaningful
manner,but I can't touch the shining sentiments expressed here.
The Truth of all your words ring clear and undeniable like the Sunday morning church bell...
The Knife Community is unlike any I've ever experienced:
I've been involved in different artistic communities over the years,
and in every instance,I've encountered many 'artists' who are desperately greedy,self absorbed and secretive:they are deathly afraid to share their knowledge and lose their spot in the limelight.
And they are,by and large,a real cliquish bunch to boot;
there's a lot of segregation around their watering holes.

I am honored and humbled to be involved in a community that is the polar opposite.

A heartfelt Thank You Steven for the mention of me and my WIPs. Every thing I've learned over the years was from somebody taking me under their wing and showing me how. I'm just a link in that chain.

The knife community, makers and collectors, is unlike any other group of people. Most knifemakers seem to be cut from the same thread of fabric and just naturally bond together in the persuit of a better knife and cherish their discussions and learning experiences. I am slow in comparison to bigger name makers and can only work at my pace so I'm much better at one on one teaching rather than a hammer-in demonstrator. I have my strong points and am working on my weak points just like most everybody else.

My thanks go to Tracy for starting this Knifedogs forums and allowing me to spread my wings with few restrictions. With my own subforum I can post as many pictures as I want unlike the other forums where I was afraid to load too many. I finally had to get a pro-account with Photobucket because I maxed out the free edition. I have over 1700 images on photobucket and worry because if they go down all my WIPs will go blank. My suggestion is to draw a picture of the procedures or take notes on the ones you like and keep them for when your shop time comes.

Thank You Tracy!!!

All very well said. Joining the knife community has been one of the best experiances of my life. Everyone has been so willing to help and give me the confidence to stick with it. I would like to "Thank You" to all of those out there who have helped in the past and I'm sure will continue to help in the future. It's an Honor to be a part of this group!

One of the terrific things about Knife Dogs is that although it is geared towards knife makers in many ways, nobody is a second class citizen. I never feel ostracized as a user/collector and it has encouraged me to work towards having some of my own designs produced.

Thanks for everything!

I would like to add my 'Thank You' to all those who so freely share information and constructive views. The knife community and Knife Dogs is a great place to hang your hat.

Carey

Back