Forging "new Steel" with Aldo

stabber

Knife Dealer Extraordinaire
I was with Aldo yesterday. We forged out his "new steel" I named it Brun80, We'll see what Aldo's gonna call it? We forged the first two test pieces. Aldo annealed his before I left. He's gonna Grind and heat treat today!!2thumbs

Picture259.jpg

Aldo giving me this encouraging look?
Picture263.jpg

Picture260.jpg

Picture261-1.jpg

Lookin cool, get down stabber ! whats the new steel ?? I really like that square anvil . keep it comin . I am waitin for that low maganese W-1 . Bubba

Hmmmmmm, I really want one of those anvils. Of course, I want to try some of that steel too! Aldo has really out done himself with his work acquiring steel for everyone lately. I think the future is going to be very bright.

Thanks for noticing

Murph,

For the 1st time I have to agree. I've been working my ass off. The steel that Stabber and I were beating on is called 80CrV2. It is a German steel that seems to have all the qualities we are looking for in a knife steel.

The Typical formula is:
C..........75/85
Sil.........15/30
Mang.....30/50
Cr.........40/70
Van.......15/25

I haven't received the Heat Treating Schedule yet but I'm thinking it can be either water or oil quenched just based on the formula. I will be oil quenching the piece I did with Ricky on Mon. AM. Let's see what happens.

Aldo

Come on Aldo. Lets see the new knife. I just heard (from you) today about this steel. Sounds like a cleaner and maybe tougher form of 5160. The Chromium will probably kill the hamon but it should be a killer working steel.

Stabber... If Aldo is going to oil quench you should clay up and try a water quench. What's to lose but a few hours of hard work?:D

Hey Aldo,

I definitely don't know anything about heat treating, but I did find a heat treat advice for 80CrV2. The chemical analysis shows it to be a little different than yours, but here's the link to a .pdf anyway.

Bestar BE2235 80CrV2

I hope this feeble attempt to help, actually helps!!!

By the way Aldo, do you have a list of the metal you stock and their prices? I was only able to find your D-2 list. Also, is your metal precision ground?

Thanks Aldo.

Jeff

Back