KMG and stand rebuild

Bob Warner

KNIFE MAKER
For those that know me they know I tend to overbuild things, just my nature. Well I “may” have exceeded my own work with my grinder overhaul.

I have a KMG grinder that I have had for many years. When I first got it I built a pretty hefty pedestal stand for it. It was pretty stout and has lasted well for many years. Unfortunately I have not used my shop that much for the last few years and the KMG rusted up pretty badly. It really looked bad so I decided it was time to clean it up and build it a new pedestal stand for it.

In the photos below you will see:

1 – The grinder mounted on the stand right after I got it and built the stand. Overbuilt? Yes a bit. But there has always been an issue with it that bothered me. It would rock a little bit when I was grinding and I always had to come up with things to jamb under it to make it stand still. It irritated me but I lived with it.

2- I decided to make a new stand, a little heavier and sturdier so it would not move around. Here is the stand. It has 1” thick plate for the base, 6” (1/4” wall) tube for the upright and 1” plate for the top. It is very heavy and hard to move when you want to so it probably won’t move when I don’t want it to. If you look in the background you will see the poor KMG all rusted up.

3-This is what a KMG looks like after it is torn all the way down, sanded and ready to be painted.

4-This is the grinder back together and painted. Installed on the stand and working. I need to clean up the motor and wiring but it is complete again.
I added a larger pulley to the motor to increase the top speed and it really moves now.

Now I need to polish the rest to get the paint off of it and I will be done. Then I can trash the old stand and move the grinder to its place.

Excuse the mess in the shop but I made the mess, making the changes to the grinder and building the stand. It will all be clean again tomorrow.

Attachments

• grinder.jpg
    grinder.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_11711.jpg
    IMG_11711.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_11731.jpg
    IMG_11731.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_11781.jpg
    IMG_11781.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 144
Bob tha is a great looking stand. I see nothing wrong with it. If it ain't jumping around then it is right. Love it!!!!

Is that part of that welding table you had, You ought to post pics of that table the guy's on here would be jealous its one awesome table.

No, the welding table is still in tact. This is 1" thick steel the welding table is 1.25" with 1/4" on top that can be changed as needed.

let's have a picture of this welding table.
Mine is 1' x 2.5' I need bigger.

If you guys go look closer at the photos in my introduction thread you will see the welding table in a couple of the pictures. If you look close you will see that the top has a 1/4" piece on top of it so it can be replaced as needed. The corners look like they have been patched to raise the table but they actually are part of the design. The holes in the corners are threaded so accessories can be bolted on. I have pretty much abandoned these bolt holes and am considering building a new table frame and moving the table top to the new frame. Then us Trailer receiver type mounts for mounting vices and other stuff.

I have a lot of ideas so if you guys have a problem to solve, I "May" be able to assist.

Feel free to ask anything, I have had to overcome financial and physical challenges so I may have ideas for your problems or may have already solved them for myself.

Hope you guys like the table.

Not at this time. I ran out of questions that were being asked of me and had nothing to send in. I tried very hard to stop the questions when I was laid up and it eventually worked.

I am considering writing a few new articles for them on single topics for a page or two articles.

well, this place would be a good one to farm for questions..

Here is a little update to the grinder rebuild.

Photo 1 shows how to make huge bubbles with soapy water. OK, not really but it looks that way.
Photo 2 shows how I welded it up
Photo 3 shows it mounted
Photo 4 shows a little decoration
Photo 5 shows it at work.

I am going to have to create a brace to keep the top bar from bowing but that is easy. I got tired of having a bucket on top of another (upside down) bucket.

Opinions?

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1185.JPG
    IMG_1185.JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1187.JPG
    IMG_1187.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1188.JPG
    IMG_1188.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1189.JPG
    IMG_1189.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 23
I have two lay out tables.
1 is 4' X 8' and 3/8" thick.
#2, which was actually #1 is 3' X 7' and is 1 3/4. It weighs 1200#. I figure, "Anything that is steel and weighs 1200# is an anvil."

I tend to over engineer things myself so I love to see someone build a stand for a 75 pound grinder that you could park a truck on. Great job!

Back