This is the first blade I ground

whiteeugene

Well I finally finished my girder and band saw so there was no reason that I couldn’t grind my own blades. Here is two small EDC’s 3.5” blade length with an overall length of 8” both in 01. I went to the Oregon Knife show today and bought a forge from Jim at Three Sisters Forge so all I need now is another box of Band-Aids and I can get started.
Thanks for looking.

This is the first blade I ground.
img_3554.jpg

img_3555.jpg

Blade number two It came out a little better I was trying for a flat grind but I think I ended up with a slight bevel I’ll clean then up in the morning have to go put on another band-aid and get dinner started.

img_3556.jpg

img_3557.jpg

Doug,

You have achieved way more than I have on your first try!!! Good going2thumbs2thumbs2thumbs

Jeff

Lookin good for first attempts. From one new guy to another, try not to over work the grinding. I did and ended up with scrap pieces of steel instead of knife blades.

Lookin good for first attempts. From one new guy to another, try not to over work the grinding. I did and ended up with scrap pieces of steel instead of knife blades.

Yep, What he said. You just need to find uses for knife shaped paper weights!!!

Jeff

Good jobs for first grind! The high spot you're getting on your bevel next to the plunge is a fairly common thing when you're starting out. I've found it's most often due to rocking the blade in horizontal so that the edge of the belt next to the plunge is doing the grinding. To avoid that, when you move the knife to grind the area next to the plunge, make sure to watch the sparks coming from the belt and keep then in the center of the belt, not the edge.

Keep it up, your doing great!

--nathan

Paper weights!!!

Yep, What he said. You just need to find uses for knife shaped paper weights!!!

Jeff

Paper weights I was going to put cardboard scales on them and give them to family and friends that ask for a free knife.

Thanks

Paper weights I was going to put cardboard scales on them and give them to family and friends that ask for a free knife.

That made me Laugh. Thanks for the chuckle.
I can just see the look on their face when you say, "sure", (face lights up) and then hand "it" to them and say "here ya go" (face sags and they don't know what to say because they don't want to offend you and "it" is NOT what they were expecting)
Too Good. Dozier

Doug looks good. Please post pics of your progress on these. Personally I am looking forward to what they look like when done.

Back