Safety and Security Reminder (I.D. Theft)

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Just wanted to remind everyone to be extra cautious with thier credit cards. I received a call Thursday morning from Judd Clem (Treasurer of the Alabama Forge Council) telling me that a charge I had made to pay for items I won at the auction had been declined. I called my bank and they informed me that they believed it to be a fraudulent charge because it was keyed in as opposed to being a "swiped card" charge.

Nadine and I went to dinner last night and I attempted to us my card to pay (i use my cc for everything) and it was declined. When I called the bank today, it turns out someone (not the Forge Council, I know this for fact) has acquired my card number and run me up one heck of a bill. Someon planned a vacation on Orbit and charged several hundred dollars to an on-line dating service in Europe.

Luckily, my bank (USAA) is on top of thier game and caught this before it got stupid. Please be cautious where you use your cards and who you trust with the info. I'm extremely anal about my cc security but somehow I was victim. If I can be, anyone can.

That bites man. I hope you get it squared away. Thats one of the reasons I only have a prepaid CC. i only put on what I need for supplies.

Bennie

They always get the good guys:mad:

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

I also don't think I ever thanked you for what you do....................

Thank you for fighting for this country, and thank every other military personnel!

Stinks. Someone got my card # a couple of years ago, ran up 2K + quick, bank (USAA too) called and emailed me, reversed the charges and issued a new card. I don't even use my cc on wireless connections any more. Dozier

Last edited:
that's terrible man, but at least your bank is doing their part. It just takes one bad apple to make ya sick you know. unfortunately when there is 6 billion apples, there are millions of bad ones out there.

There is a good side, Keep using your credit card instead of a direct debit card.

The bank and credit aard companies are working hard to prevent fraud to minimize THEIR losses.

If you have someone fraudulently use your direct debit card, the banks will just insist that you gave out your pin number and it is all your liability and not their responsibility.

Keep using that credit card, as long as you can pay it off.

They got me last week on my debit card. Card was swiped 3 times in 3 minutes at the same store in Florida. I had the card in my pocket 500 miles away

I rarely use my debit card. The only time I use it is when I need cash.

As for my stolen credit card info, my bank recovered all of the funds so I'm somewhat happy. I'd be even happier if I knew who the sorry ..................... was who stole my info and could kick him in his teeth.

Somebody got both my CC and my wifes Bank account today for the 3rd time...spent the morning sorting this out. The charges were very small like .83 cents and .87 cents on the other. They do this so you don,t notice and if it works later they slam you later. I just happened to catch the bank account charge the same day and called the bank then called the CC and same thing there. So watch for those small charges!

I was really fortunate. Whoever the dummy was successdully performed two charges to on-line dating services before my bank shut them down. On the third attempt they tried to book a vacation and were denied. In all, they hit me for only $210. I can only imagine what would have happened had they attempted to order normal things like knives, gun accessories, tools........ The dating service charges really saved me.

This ordeal has taught me to keep a more watchfull eye not only on my credit card account but also on where I use my card. I don't think I will ever use my card in a location where my card leaves my eyesight again.

I was talking to a friend, who happens to be a police officer, last weekend. When I told him about what happened, he told me about a case in Little Rock where a restaurant was shut down due to credit card fraud. Apparently when the servers took up the check and customer's credit card, they swiped it through a card reader as well as the register thus recording the credit card information. I'm beginning to wonder if something like this happened to me.

One of the cc numbers my wife had stolen and had charges for airline tickets etc from Peru was a card that had never been used and was locked in the gun safe..Which shows they can still get the numbers some how.....No matter how carefull we are!

Back