Template material

stabber

Knife Dealer Extraordinaire
Hey Dogs! What kinda material do you guys use if you wanted to make a template so you can Make/trace that design whenever you want. Thanks!!2thumbs

I use what is known as roofers flash roll . It's an aluminum roll 8" x 30' . It's about 8thousanths thick . Cost like 8 dollars at any hardware store . Draw my designs on paper then glue to the flash . Then just scribe on steel . I have some at least 18 years old .

If you can't find any and you are going to Mystic , let me know . I'll bring some for you .

Hi Bill, Thanks! I am a roofer/siding man :D

Look forward to seeing you at Mystic. I have a table2thumbs

I had a bunch of old plexi-glass that was always in the way. I made a bunch of templates with this and it works great. I also have used the cardboard backing from my packs of sandpaper and stored them safely in a drawer.

Larry

I use plactic cutting board from the dollar store work great dont ware out
and the will bind in half and still work.and they dont take up much room.
vern

I bought 030 engraving stock in bulk a few years ago. (cheap)
I use that for my patterns cause theres no way I could possibly use it all in my lifetime for just spacers. Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Rudy

I was just thinking about this the other day as I've recently come up with a design that I really, really like and want to be sure I can duplicate it down the road. I had originally thought to do templates in 1/8th aluminum, but like what I'm hearing here.

Cutting boards from the dollar store?!?!? Very innovative.

Stabber, I bought some clear acrylic (12x12) from Enco. I got it fairly thick so that it would easily hold the transfer punches when I'm marking holes on the blade blank. I got the idea from Scott Jones.2thumbs

Until last year everything was just a drawing glued to cardboard and cut out.

I use a strip of 1/8" MDF (midduim density fiberboard). It was a full size cover sheet from work (cabinet shop). I cut 2" and 1 1/2" strips of the end. Works great. Same thickness as the steel and sands down great. Makes a big mess.

i use home depot steel , easy to grind and should last forever

Plexi glass and 1/4" plywood are what I use. Oh and is I screw up a grind or mess something up on a blade I use it for a pattern.

Back