Buffers, Maybe The Most Dangerous Machine In Your Shop.

Now is a good time for me to ask a possibly dumb question...

With all the horror stories and ER pictures we've seen about people getting mangled in a quick second by their buffer, I got to thinkin'. I know, that's always dangerous with me.

Would it make any sense to use an auto-body type buffer?!? Vise up the blade, and bring the buffer to it? Seems to me, that way, it if grabs you might get kicked in the ribs by the buffer, but not sliced open like you would by a launched blade. I know which one I'd prefer, if I had to choose.

I apologize for not looking up the speeds those buffers run at, whether or not you can get the right buffs for them, etc. But I've buffed small, vised parts with a rotary tool and it worked just fine. Not practical for a full blade or handle though.

what about using a buffing belt on your grinder? Do they work? They seem less dangerous than a loose buff.

That's a good question, clancy. I've heard of people getting good results from leather belts/inside-out regular belts loaded with buffing compound, too. Never tried it though.

James, when I buff my blades, I actually prefer a satin finish which I do on the belt grinder, I pad the handle and clamp it in my knife vice then put a buffing wheel on my hand drill and use it.

Doug Lester

I have my buffer mounted off the table on a small shelf that is smaller than the base of the buffer. I also have rubber mat on the floor and on the side of the table. Not only has it saved me from dodging flying blades if they do get away the rubber helps cushion the knife. Nothing like working 2 days on a knife and have the buffer catch it and through it to the floor and crack the scales and scratch the knife up. You can pick up the rubber mat at the home store ask for matting that is used in a workout area.

I keep a chunk of styrofoam under my buffer wheel and a box behind it with rags loosely piled in to stop a bounce. It will really soak up the bounce but it won't stop it from stabbing me in the stomach. I hate loose buffs. I nearly always use 1/4" sewn buff and even those will grab a blade and chunk it pretty good.

I stopped buffing blades when my buffer took a knife out of my hands . It had a 4" blade 1/4" thick and when it hit the cinder block wall it bent 90 degrees . Can't imagine what it could have done if it hit me . Gil Hibben almost died when a blade went into his leg from the buffer . I still sweat when doing the handles...

I stopped buffing blades when my buffer took a knife out of my hands . It had a 4" blade 1/4" thick and when it hit the cinder block wall it bent 90 degrees . Can't imagine what it could have done if it hit me . Gil Hibben almost died when a blade went into his leg from the buffer . I still sweat when doing the handles...

Actually, it was a grinder that threw the blade into Gil's leg. He was standing and grinding when he dropped the blade. It stuck through the belt and it threw it back at him.

I had a friend that had a buffer grab his knife and stick it into his thigh. For several months after that he always wore a sheet of plywood armor when ever he buffed a blade.

James, when I buff my blades, I actually prefer a satin finish which I do on the belt grinder, I pad the handle and clamp it in my knife vice then put a buffing wheel on my hand drill and use it.

Doug Lester

That makes sense too, Doug. More than one way to skin a cat, as they say!

FWIW I also remember seeing a thread where someone built a thick plywood guard that was mounted just below their bench-type buffer, angled inwards so it would either "catch" a thrown blade or bounce it under the bench away from the maker.

Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'm still thinking I'd rather toss a hand-held buffer around, rather than a sharp blade. *shrug*

Last edited:
I finished a gut hook a couple weeks ago and that was real scary. The buffer just loved to grab it and test my blood pressure medication!

Uncle Billy

My first post other than my post in the Intro so if this seems really dumb...well

Any rate I have a belt grinder that I got from Harbor Freight that has an attachment on the side for a six inch circular grinding pad. The kind you peel and stick.

Personally I haven't found a reason to use it for grinding so I bought an 8" buffing wheel and am planning to attach it. I'll have to take the guard off to get it to fit. Do a little drill and tap on the attachment and I'm good.

I figure if I buff on the downward side if it does throw it will throw to the back of the bench...right? Or at least downward.

I've done other shop work but this is my first venture into knives. I've had wood thrown at me before but a piece of steel is a bit different.

So is my idea crazy? My wife says I'm certifiable but that's a different story.

I buff nearly every knife I make. Buffers command great respect and your absolute concentration but they can be used safely. I do recommend 1750 RPM buffers. 3400 RMP is just too fast in my opinion.

I use relative hard wheels for blades as they are a lot less likely to grab the blade. The only time I use a loose wheel is for handles. Take a good stance, a FIRM grip on the knife, and never go above the center line of the wheel.

Be extremly careful when getting close to the top edge or the tip of the blade as that is where it will grab. This is especially true if you are polishing edge up.

I have a TV in my shop. I turn it off when I buff. The buffer get all of my attention. Like Mike I buff very knife. I choose a 1/3 hp 6'' buffer 1760 rpm.
They can be safe. But you can't never let your mind wander. It will gets you.

Sounds like maybe a custom thick plywood blade catcher type of guard covering the top & bottom of the wheel is in order, or even covering all of the unneeded areas of the wheel W the guard along W a clear Lexan or Carbon fiber riot shield between you and the wheel (like the cops & corrections Officers use)

Back in the day I had the buffer disarm me and throw the knife a number of times; VERY VERY SCARY, and as said earlier in the thread it WILL wake you up QUICK, and test your BP meds!!!!!!!!! :eek: Jaw Drop

I'm getting a bit of the shakes just thinking about it!

i started wear a thick welder's apron because of this. Scared the crap out me!

Good thread!

It can help sometimes but it still wont stop most blades if they hit you sharpened edge or point on, even chain mail wont stop lots of blades hitting you hard point on, I've seen a good sharp knife go through a ballistic vest by hand like it wasn't even there (no trauma plate) so it's kinda like tryin to stop a broad head from a long bow, you NEED something solid and tough to completely stop it from getting to your body.

Back