Got the first knife I ever built back...

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
...and it bit me after I cleaned it up.

My step father recently found a knife I put together when I was 15 (1975) from a pre-made blank. I was very surprised to find out it survived. So he mailed it to me last month.

Well it was pretty dirty and a quite tarnished. I decided to clean it up, but not try to make it look new. After I cleaned it I took it to the paper wheels and sharpened it up. To my great amazement it took a hair popping razor edge! And then it proceeded to bite my finger! I guess it needed a taste of blood to revitalized itself.

I'm still very glad to have it back...

Good to see old friends. Isn't it? I got one of my first ones back from my buddy Ron (Entryteam) a few weeks ago, but he still has #1. The one I got back looks rough (my craftsmanship was even worse back then, age 12). One of these days I'll get around to posting a pic of it in the "First Knife" thread.

So, where's the pic?

Here it is, it was used as a patch knife when we shot muzzle loaders. Then who knows. I joined the USAF and forgot about it. My dad found it in his tool box covered in crud. I cleaned it up on my buffing wheel and I'm just going to leave it be now.

The knife in my signature is my first built totally from scratch and it only took me 35 years to make another knife! And guess who has it? My step dad of course!

Last edited:
Chris that is all right. Nice to seesomething that you first made. Thank you very much for sharing this with us.

Chris, thanks for sharing. It makes you feel good to run across something you made years ago and find it survived well.

Larry

Back