What Strange Things Have You Ate?

CDHumiston

KNIFE MAKER
Having spent 26 years in the USAF and traveling to many countries I have eaten some strange thing. Here is a list of the ones I remember and could identify:

Horse, Camel, Dog, Goat, Snake, Silk Worm Larve, Deep Fried Chicken feet, Aligator, Snails, Sea Urchin, Raw Squid still moving when I ate it, Octopus (so big it filled our bathtub), and a few thing I could not identify that came from the ocean...

What strange things have you tried?

All I can say is ICK,

I have never really tried anything strange, I don't like to put weired stuff in my mouth!!

I don't know if it is strange but trying a Naga Jolokia chilli was certainly an interesting experience.

Having spent 26 years in the USAF and traveling to many countries I have eaten some strange thing. Here is a list of the ones I remember and could identify:

Horse, Camel, Dog, Goat, Snake, Silk Worm Larve, Deep Fried Chicken feet, Aligator, Snails, Sea Urchin, Raw Squid still moving when I ate it, Octopus (so big it filled our bathtub), and a few thing I could not identify that came from the ocean...

What strange things have you tried?

Sounds good to me ( except for the dog). Just need some of my HT'g Relish on them.2thumbs

I've had several of the things on your list. The chicken feet weren't that great but the sauce was good. Snake, stuff from the sea, lots of wildlife, a few insects/bugs. The worst was boiled lizard. Do yourself a favor and roast those things! They are not good at all boiled.

SDS

IG's Heat-Treat relish will make anything taste good... or at least, all the same. :D

Does pickled venison heart count? It's really good. Cheese curds apparently seem strange to a lot of folks, but around here they're normal.

San Miguel and balute in the PI, camel, and most of the other things on your list save the larve, Jarheads get around too.

I was served "Monkey Hand Soup" in Viet-Nam. Couldn't handle it! Looked to much like eating little people. I turned down the kidneys there also. I have always said that I would try anything that I see someone else eat, but not those two. The soup because of the look and the kidney because it is a filter and I was concerned about health issues.

My brother-in-law was a French chef in NYC for a few years and he used to whip up some bizzare stuff for us when we went to see him. It was to the point that the waiter even told us "he said don't ask what it is just taste it". The one that stands out the most was something he did with ducks tongue (which whatever it was it was tasty). Another was with goats head, something where it involved the meat from a certain part of the head. I've had alligator as well, ostrich, escargot (snails) frogs legs. Plus whatever else he whipped up from God knows what he didn't tell us.

Fried silkworm. Bad idea. Bad, bad, bad idea!

Horse, snake, dog, monkey, and live fish were just interesting!

Oh have had tripe on a few occasions as well. Fairly common thing to buy not something many people do.

Forgot also had squirrel (not all that strange maybe). Also deer liver and heart.

Last edited:
Oh have had tripe on a few occasions as well. Fairly common thing to buy not something many people do.

Forgot also had squirrel (not all that strange maybe). Also deer liver and heart.

I had squirrel, rabbit, duck, pheasant, deer, dove, and quail when I was a boy hunting the fields in Southern Ohio.

Enough San Miguel and youll eat anything, matter of fact you could see things floating in the bottles that would make most sick.

Yea, the same holds true with OB beer in Korea. I've eaten things late at night that I would never put in my mouth when I was sober.

Ya know, it's a good thing this place is "G-Rated".

Some of you guys are listing things as weird, but they seem perfectly normal to me. I guess you all should have grown up in Arkansas. Squirrell and frog legs? Heck, I get excited when I have a chance at either one of those. Let me find frog legs on a buffet and it's curtain!!!

Ya know, it's a good thing this place is "G-Rated".

Some of you guys are listing things as weird, but they seem perfectly normal to me. I guess you all should have grown up in Arkansas. Squirrell and frog legs? Heck, I get excited when I have a chance at either one of those. Let me find frog legs on a buffet and it's curtain!!!

They sell frog legs in the grocery where I grew up.

Back