ooops, i think might of screwed up my knife

h0tr0d

Alright, I was trying to shorten the tang and make it skinnier, like a stick tang....weeeeell..

I cut the end of the tang area too short me thinks.

From the bottom edge, starting at the ricasso I have 3.25" to the end of the tang.

The tang and ricasso are 3/8 thick while the blade is 1/4 thick.

On my phone at work so no pics yet.

Other measurements:
Knife belly 1.5 inches
Ricasso. 7/8 inch
Tang width 5/8

Advice??????

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is the piece that you were forging, you should be able to forge it out to a desireable length. Most narrow tang blades I have seen have a tapered narrow tang. If the tang is 3/8" and the blade is 1/4", that gives you room to forge the tang out some.

Now, I'll let someone with a clue as to how to do it take over from here.

Ten four, it was/is that same blade...forgot to mention from tip to ricasso is 7.5 inches lol...

Anyways, still having troubles with pushing the steel out and away. Its never a problem when doing the blade bevels but the tangs are pee'n me off lol.

Hotrod,

Forging out the tang may still be an option but also welding/brazing an extension on is also an option to get some extra tang.

-Josh

With really needing to take the tang down by 1/8" in thickness and probably 1/4" to play with in the width you should be able to get at least 3/4" more length in the tang. You will have to be a little careful in drawing it out. Do you have something to use as a fuller tool? That you help give direction to the steel movement.

Doug Lester

no fuller, but I was sucessfull in thinning it all out. I'll post pics tomorrow i heated the whole thing up real good after i was done and buried it in some lime.

BTW, I'm pretty happy with the way it's turned out thus far. Not the straightest thing in the world, but some grinding will take care of that.

Back