Off to Denver

benbuskey

Hi All,

I am off to Denver in three weeks to visit my cousin who is graduating from the police academy and becoming a Highway Patrolman. I will have two or three open days to see the area and wanted to see if anyone has suggestions on what to visit. I believe Boker is in Denver, so I may try and stop by, but if there is any other knife related companies I would certainly be interested. My wife and two little girls (and of course me) loves nature and animals, so if there are any suggestion of that flavor it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ben

hi ben. if you are driving and going interstate 15 to interstate 70 there are alot of sites for the family along that route, brice canyon, zion, are off of interstate 15 just north of las vegas about 100 miles or so i'm a truck driver and went that route last week it is a very nice ride. in colorado you have glenwood canyon on interstate 70 and there is a train you can ride up the canyon. very cool canyon. i heard some of the specality shops in vail carry custom knives also you may want to check that out. i will be going back across there on thursday, keep your eye on the weather it gets nasty up on those mountain passes this time of year. have fun

Thanks James, I think we may try and stop by Brice canyon on the way up. I'll also have to check out glenwood canyon and maybe take a look there as well.

Hi Ben -

I'm one of the six natives left in the state so I'll try to chime in and give you some pointers. Two or three days isn't a lot of time and it sounds like your going to be anchored to Denver which means day trips are in order.

Fist let me suggest Rocky Mountain National Park. It's about 1 1/2 hours northwest of Denver. Mapquest it and you'll find it is easy to get there. If your family loves animals, it's almost a guarantee that you'll see herds of elk, some mule deer and possibly some Big Horn Sheep. Many of them will be near the roads so picture opportunities will be endless. You'll be passing through Estes Park (a great place for lunch and shopping in the specialty shops) and don't be surprised if you see huge bull elk walking the streets or grazing in the parks right in town. If you're going to go to the park I suggest leaving Denver early since once you get there you will see that there is so much to do you'll want the whole day to do it. Check out this link http://www.nps.gov/romo/index.htm

Another nice (nearby) destination is Echo Lake near Mt. Evans. It's not quite an hour west of Denver. http://www.mountevans.com/Mount-Evans-AreasEchoLake.HTML The road to the summit is closed this time of year but there will be hiking opportunities near the lake and there is a lodge for lunch.

About 1 1/2 hours south of Denver is Colorado Springs which is the home of the famed Pikes Peak. There is a Cog Railway that will take you to the top, over 14,000 ft. http://www.cograilway.com/ If you do this, I suggest you not do it when you first get to Colorado. Let the family get acclimatized to the altitude for a few days. Altitude sickness is real and it can ruin a great day let alone several days. I've know people to fly in from sea level, have some time to kill so they drove to the top of Pikes Peak and when they stepped out of the car, they dropped to their knees. Don't let me scare you - all it takes is a few days to let your body get used to it.

Drop me a line if you need additional info - I'd be happy to help. Oh, BTW, I'm not so sure that Boker is set up for visitors. It's in a very industrial neighborhood and it is basically their shipping warehouse. I don't want you to get disappointed if you drop by and it's not what you expected.

Take care and God Bless -
CustomSignatureBarHD.png

Best regards and God Bless,
Wayne

Full Time Maker
Member of the Professional Knifemakers Association
www.jarrettknives.com
Are you a Dawg yet?

Be sure to check out the new Jarrett Knives Forum

Stop by my table at
The A.G. Russell Knife Event

I agree with Wayne Rocky Mountain National park is a great place along with Estes. Don't forget the Budweiser plant with Clydsdales outside Fort Collins. Have Fun:)

Wayne, thanks for the info. I will absolutely head off to Rocky Mountain National Park on your suggestion. It looks like we will now be flying and getting a rental car (it was cheaper to fly and get a car than to drive). Thanks again all for the info.

Back