Steel.

pugsrok

Since i am new to knife making, is there a place that i can get small peices ( 12 in or less) of different steels for fairly cheap, Say, 01, 440,420, and 5160 ? to see which one i prefer for knifemaking?

Pugsrok,

Welcome.... I'm pretty new to the forum myself but I do know that there are several folks who can help you out.

Admiral Steel sells small lots, I think their website is www.admiralsteel.com.

Also www.usaknifemaker.com.

Kelly Cupples sells steel and his email can be found on Darrin Ellis's website (I have bought a fair amount of stuff from Mr. Ellis lately and he has always been good)

There is also another gentleman name Aldo bruno who several people have recommended.

Like I said I'm still kinda new myself but I'm sure any of the moderators can give you some good sources if I missed any.

When I did a spreadsheet a while back, MSC was the most expensive by quite a bit.

Amazon (not someone I ordinarily think of as a steel supplier) had much better prices and selection than MSC.

For example, I just checked on D-2 at 1/4" x 2" x 36". It was $62.53 on Amazon and $128.74 on MSCDirect.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did a spreadsheet a while back, MSC was the most expensive by quite a bit.

Amazon (not someone I ordinarily think of as a steel supplier) had much better prices and selection than MSC.

For example, I just checked on 1/4" x 2" x 36". It was $62.53 on Amazon and $128.74 on MSCDirect.com.

Same dimensions in O-1 at Flatground are $41.97 plus S&H. Still cheaper than Amazon. Unfortunately types of steel are limited at Flatground.com
https://www.flatground.com/catalog/item.jsp?DEPARTMENT_ID=19&THICKNESS=1/4

I usually order my flatstock from texas knifemaker's supply. Some of their steels is available precision ground such as 01.

Back