Did it ever happen to you?

UncleBillyKnives

There you are grinding away, everything is going so nice. Your grind lines are even, the blade is thinning nicely toward the tip….. and then it happens, the blade get sucked in between the rest and the belt!!!!!!!!! :eek:Man those grooves are deep! Oh well, I will try to fix it tomorrow!

That gap between the work rest and belt is a scary place, I've had it try to suck my fingers in while profiling. I don't use a rest for grinding the blade but when profiling I try to put the rest right up to the belt where it actually is starting to grind the rest a little, that might stop all but the fillet knives from getting sucked in :)

I took the work-rest off my grinder to change belts one time and never put it back on. I have to be more careful to keep things square when profiling, but I don't really miss it. I just check the blade with a small machinist's square often.

thanks for the responce guys. For the small blades I have started not using the rest, but this is a big blade. It is almost 12 inches long. It looks like a small machete, but it is for filleting salmon. I am making it for a guy that help me weld up my new forge. It is too big to control by hand. I have a U shaped plate that prevents this from happening, but of course I was not using it.

I bet that was an interesting couple of seconds there.

LOL, that crap is sure to make you pucker up a bit(if you know what I mean)... I have had it happen a few times especially when working with the smaller neck size knives when I am profiling at higher speeds. I have since done what others have said and actually put the rest to the belt to the point that I am touching it... it comes off after profiling is done though.

all the time. seems like EVERYTIME i get a nice thin blade, almost finished to were i want it...... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZKKKKKKKKKRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR..........

&*#%**$(!(~*$*!!!!

I have never ground my bevels with the knife directly on the work rest. It has always been freehand or with the blade held into a jig.

Sounds like it would scare the pants off you it it happened.

Alistair

I've done it once and it gets ugly fast. It gets worse when you think you can get it out without shutting down. What's really interesting is when it gets thin enough to unstick and heads for the floor at 1000 mph.

Step away from the grinder and kill the power and count appendages.

Steve

This thread is one reason I started the Safety thread here in the New Maker's section. IME it isn't the obvious things that get me hurt, It's the little things that I overlook!! These either get me hurt or damage something that I am working on.

well, i fixed it by using the U shaped plate that wraps around the belt.:D now i have started the hand sanding. i think this the last blade this size for a long time!!!:rolleyes:

thanks for the feedback!

UncleBilly

I free hand when I'm grinding. Work rests are very dangerous. I use one for profiling on my platen, but that's it.
-John

Happened to me once. Haven't had the same problem ever since I adjusted the rest as close to the wheel as I can get it, still a scary process though.

Eh...a double post. Srry bout that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wayne Goddard photoshopped this picture for me :) The blade did cut thru a kevlar glove and cost me a trip to the ER. Those workrests are dangerous!!

Attachments

• Knives 105.jpg
    Knives 105.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 20
yep has happened to me. it happens quick and for me, it ruined the piece i was working on. it really sucked.

That will make you take a breath deeper than ever before and think things you should'nt orta say , all in about 2/10 of a second

Back