5160?

pugsrok

Does anyone have the pros and cons for this steel for knife making, any help is much appreciated. :bud::running dog:

Its a great steel. Works good under the hammer, heat treats easy. Cuts great too! If you use junkyard steel, get old large leaf springs . International Harvester steel is good quality.

I was going to order a 6 foot piece from mc master carr for learning how to make knives from something other than files.

Thanks, how hot does it need to get to heat treat, i have seen a bonfire do it, so i was assuming i could put it into deep coals untill it got non magnetic and then oil quench it.

As Omachearley said, 5160 is good steel and I have used it or 0TS (Old Truck Spring) in all the knives I have forged and have gotten good results.

From your last question, I get the impression that you're just starting out with heat treating. If that is the case and you don't have a controlled heat source, I would like to suggest that you check out one of the simple steels like 1065 - 1080. 5160 has just enough chromium in it that it can give you trouble learning to heat treat especially if you are trying to do it in a fire. You can do it and do a good job, it just take quite a while to figure it out.

If you will search around for Ed Fowler's heat treat formula for 5160, you can learn all you need to start on your way to an excellent heat treat on an excellent steel.

Please don't think I am trying to discourage you. I just wanted to offer my thoughts.

Your mileage may vary,
Carey

Back