New Projects

whiteeugene

I built these from blanks that I purchased from different sources I made the scales and the sheaths.
img_3516.jpg

img_3521.jpg

img_3528.jpg

img_3530.jpg

img_3532.jpg

Thanks

Last edited:
that makes you a knife maker.. good job.
if you make knife, even from a kit or a blank, that makes you a knife maker.
t

Thanks Boss
When I graduate from paint sticks to steel I'll call myself a knife maker but for now I'm just a builder.

Don't dis what you're doing, one you do a very good job of it. Also finishing out premade blades has gone on for centuries. A lot of the old cutlers earned their living putting handles and other hardware on blades that others made.

Doug Lester

Off to a GREAT start! I have no problem with a knifemaker building knives from purchased blanks or kits as long as they're up front about it. I've made and sold a few that way myself. Doug is right, there's a long tradition of that and you should take pride in your work 2thumbs

Looks to me like you're hooked. :)

Looks good. It won't be long before you'll just have to start with a blank piece piece of steel and bring a knife to life. Once you do, it's hard to stop.

Carey

Good job, had you done any leather work prior to this? Jut curious as it is a bang up job on the sheath on the first knife, the others look great as well. A lot of people(not here but else where, for the main part) look at a sheath as an after-thought, not many nonknifemakers realize that it is just as much of an art and skill, especially when you are dealing with leather.

Leather Work

Thanks for all of the nice comments from everyone.
Good job, had you done any leather work prior to this? Jut curious as it is a bang up job on the sheath on the first knife, the others look great as well. A lot of people(not here but else where, for the main part) look at a sheath as an after-thought, not many nonknifemakers realize that it is just as much of an art and skill, especially when you are dealing with leather.

I did a little several years ago belts and a holster, to me a knife is a system that has many different parts Scales, Blade, Pins, Guard and Sheath no one part is any more important than the other they all have a part to play. The Scales, guards are designed to support a specific blade that is designed for a purpose Fighter, Skinner, Utility and so on. The sheath you design needs to support both the blade design and the purpose of the knife. I used this sheath design because it supports the purpose of the knife a small hunter. It can be worn on the left or right side the knife fits either direction. Some times when I hunt I carry a pistol and the holster and knife always end up rubbing each other with this design I can carry it on the left side. When I carry an auto loader I carry it on the left side in a side holster this sheath design allows me to carry the knife on the right.

Thanks

Back