This Guy is gonna GET what he deserves...

Hankins

This Guy is gonna GET what he deserves...
Yeah made up my mind this morning!
Having just received my Surface grinder the other day was in search for some new wheels. Checked the usual places Fleabay, MSC Etc and just decided to try locally.
Got on the Puter and looked up Machine shops in Phoenix
Made a few calls no luck. Came across a place that does only surface grinding.
Explained what a nube I was and the guys say come on over I may have a few stone's I can sell ya.
Doesn't know me from Adam but seemed very nice.
One man shop loaded with machines and clutter (Kinda like my shop) invite's me in and hands over three new 7" Norton wheels for $50. Asks me if I have a Diamond for dressing them Uhh no my answer. Rumages thru a drawer and hands me a new one and says here you will need this:eek:
Just about to leave and then we start talking knives, up till then I was just a stranger.
Spent another hour there enjoying the conversation, said my thanks and left.
He earned himself a Nice Bowie without even a hint of asking for a knife.
Getting profiled and ground tomorrow. Hope he likes it

Mr Hankins, you do all of us knife makers proud...
I bet he'll like it quite a bit.

machinists and knifemakers have never ceased to amaze me with the simple, old school generosity.

I wish I could see the smile on that fella's face...
The two of you are obviously cut from the same cloth,and it wouldn't surprise
me if this was the start of a good friendship.

People like the fella in the machine shop are getting harder to find and it is very generous of you to reward him for his kindness. I think he will like your knife and I also see a friendship beginning to blossom.

Larry

at the risk of sounding selfish,I'd love to enjoy that fella's knife vicariously...
any chance you would post some pics of the finished 'Thank You' knife? :beg:

Doing a build pictorial as they progress...
They meaning I am doing two just in case :D
Just about done with primary grinds on both

LOL I avoided reading this thread, 'Cause I was hearing the Title being spoken by the Stereotypical "Mafioso"! Just imagining some guy "Sleeping with the Fishes"..... Anyway I didn't want to read a Rant!! Instead it is the other way around!! Whew!! Yep Curiosity got the best of me.... feel free to laugh at me, I am!!

Good for you!! I also think you have a friend in the making!!

Todays progress pics

Longish day in the shop but at least tomorrow they can get a HT and temper after a little cleanup.
Both will be Mortise tangs as for finish it is still floating around in the back of my skull "Somewhere" ;)

Well after looking at and deciding I didn't like the ground clip on the first blades last night. Went back to it this morning and made a couple more W/O the ground clip. Just looks more like a Bowie blade to me now.
These are pre HT so I left wiggle room on the grind to get rid of any HT marks Etc.
Here are the new pics

Attachments

• Mikes1 bowie002.jpg
    Mikes1 bowie002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 112
  • Mikes3 bowie005.jpg
    Mikes3 bowie005.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 108
  • mikes bowie6.jpg
    mikes bowie6.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 123
  • mikes bowie7.jpg
    mikes bowie7.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 129
Last edited:
Great thread! I predict a certain knifemaker and a certain machinist will both smile about this transaction and tell the story many times. 2thumbs

I have a few random observations on the general subject, just from personal experience...

-When I was a bartender, I noticed right away that other service-industry folks were the best tippers, even though they could least afford it.

-It costs nothing to look a person in the eye, shake their hand and use the manners your Mom taught you. If they don't look you in the eye back, and their handshake feels like a dead fish, that may be a hint about their intentions. But maybe they're just shy.

-Folks who've been truly hungry are generally the most likely to share their lunch with you.

-Bartering goods/services is almost always a good way to get what you need and build friendships.

-Old, crotchety, cantankerous machinists/carpenters/farmers/etc. usually know a heckuva lot more than they let on and will share some tips with you if they see that you're really willing to learn. HINT: they tend to enjoy fresh baked-goods and hot coffee. :)

-A little extra that the customer didn't expect is good for business and makes you sleep better at night.

-Donating to a food pantry will make your own food taste better. Takes some of the sting out of asking for help when you need it, too.

-Think of your blessings often and remember to say "thank you" to your Creator.

-"I love you" are the most powerful words in any language. Don't use them lightly, but don't be stingy about it either.

I reckon you gentlemen already knew all this, I mainly wanted to remind myself by writing it down. :)

Last edited:
Back