Batson Knife Symposium Day One

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
Just a quick note to tell everyone things are going great here. I'll try to get a few pics posted when I get the chance, but I'm posting from my phone right now.

I got to spend the day observing demonstrations, hanging out with fellow Knife Dogs, recruiting new Knife Dogs, and I even forged my very first blade today. Dang my forearm is tired.

If any of you guys are like me and thought that Aldo Bruno was a myth, we're wrong! I have photographic evidence that he is more than just the voice at the other end of a phone conversation.

A good time has been had by all and we all look forward to day two.

I got to meet Murph, Rex, and Wayne at Batson's. Batson's is way better than I expected. I have a ton of pics. Will be posting them soon as I get home. If you weren't here, you really missed it.

Would really like to see all the pictures we can see. Did Aldo actually swing a hammer or did he just talk the steel into submission?

Aldo only showed me one blade of his and I think he may have done some kind if Jedi Mind Trick to submit it to his will and shape it.

Cal, it was great meeting you, Rex, Wayne, Aldo, and everyone else. I hope to see you all and many more dogs today for Day 2.

Last edited:
Greetings Dawgs from day 1 of my "Batsons Recovery Clinic"! Myself and the "Pup" headed down yesterday morning with all the expectations, excitement and youthful vigor of a teenager! Although he's not quite a teen yet, and I'm far from it, we were so excited to go. Upon arrival to the park, we we're blown away by the sheer beauty of it, I know, I live in Alabama and that shouldn't be nothing new, BUT I live farther south of that area, they have bigger hills, wider creeks, and the park itself is in pristine condition, an excellent choice of location for such an awesome event. Once we got there I started off looking for the "Baron", Aldo Bruno. As Murph said, he is a real dude! And I will say my favorite YANKEE2thumbs I've ever met! I do believe Aldo, is a reincarnated southern boy, the wires got crossed somewhere! So, me and "the Pup" found Aldo and set up our modest little table of wood and some horn material. I've had the Pup in training for a while, and pretty much put him in charge of the table. I went shopping!!! I met Pop from Pop's knife shop, "Uncle Al", Wayne Coe, and so many more my poor brain can't keep up with.
Deals were there to be had, I will say if your looking for motors, call Wayne Coe!!!! Man what a deal on motors, I'll let him post his prices but I'll be buying my new one from him pretty soon. I ran out of money too quick! Wayne is a wonderful man, as with MOST knifemakers. A person would be hard pressed to find a better group of folks to be associated with. I do my very best to be as nice to everyone I meet, treat people the way they should be treated, generally I strive to be the nicest guy in the world,(mainly cuz I'm so ugly, I have to add some incentive for folks to hang out with me, without having to pay them). I'm not only proud of my work, it makes me proud to be associated with such a group of people that go so far out of their way to be nice. In this day and time of everyone out for themselves, this bunch is constantly giving, of themselves, their time, knowledge, experience. I guess I'm just in awe that this mentality still exists.

The "Pup" as he was nick named yesterday was a big hit, he stayed with my table practically the entire day, talked to every customer like they were his new best friends, of course I'm biased, but I'm so proud of my son. Most 11 year old kids won't talk to adults the way he does. And I can't count how many compliments I got about his manners, the Pup will have his own account here shortly, so he can make his own posts.
As for me, I'm so sore I can barely move! But I will, with all the steel I got from Aldo, the new tongs I got from Uncle Al, I've got to get to the shop!!!! If Ty (the Pup) didn't have a game today, we'd still be there. Trying to talk the wife into going tomorrow....I can try!

For those of you who missed it, put it on your calendar for next year, it's a can't miss event! Not to mention it's just plain fun, the scenery is beautiful, the people are incredible....I just wish they had some good southern cooking to brag about, the park concessions are expensive and not very good. But you can bring your own grill and cookout! That's what I'm planning for next year, and we'll be staying all 3 days! What a BLAST!!! Rex

Greetings Dawgs from day 1 of my "Batsons Recovery Clinic"! Myself and the "Pup" headed down yesterday morning with all the expectations, excitement and youthful vigor of a teenager! Although he's not quite a teen yet, and I'm far from it, we were so excited to go. Upon arrival to the park, we we're blown away by the sheer beauty of it, I know, I live in Alabama and that shouldn't be nothing new, BUT I live farther south of that area, they have bigger hills, wider creeks, and the park itself is in pristine condition, an excellent choice of location for such an awesome event. Once we got there I started off looking for the "Baron", Aldo Bruno. As Murph said, he is a real dude! And I will say my favorite YANKEE2thumbs I've ever met! I do believe Aldo, is a reincarnated southern boy, the wires got crossed somewhere! So, me and "the Pup" found Aldo and set up our modest little table of wood and some horn material. I've had the Pup in training for a while, and pretty much put him in charge of the table. I went shopping!!! I met Pop from Pop's knife shop, "Uncle Al", Wayne Coe, and so many more my poor brain can't keep up with.
Deals were there to be had, I will say if your looking for motors, call Wayne Coe!!!! Man what a deal on motors, I'll let him post his prices but I'll be buying my new one from him pretty soon. I ran out of money too quick! Wayne is a wonderful man, as with MOST knifemakers. A person would be hard pressed to find a better group of folks to be associated with. I do my very best to be as nice to everyone I meet, treat people the way they should be treated, generally I strive to be the nicest guy in the world,(mainly cuz I'm so ugly, I have to add some incentive for folks to hang out with me, without having to pay them). I'm not only proud of my work, it makes me proud to be associated with such a group of people that go so far out of their way to be nice. In this day and time of everyone out for themselves, this bunch is constantly giving, of themselves, their time, knowledge, experience. I guess I'm just in awe that this mentality still exists.

The "Pup" as he was nick named yesterday was a big hit, he stayed with my table practically the entire day, talked to every customer like they were his new best friends, of course I'm biased, but I'm so proud of my son. Most 11 year old kids won't talk to adults the way he does. And I can't count how many compliments I got about his manners, the Pup will have his own account here shortly, so he can make his own posts.
As for me, I'm so sore I can barely move! But I will, with all the steel I got from Aldo, the new tongs I got from Uncle Al, I've got to get to the shop!!!! If Ty (the Pup) didn't have a game today, we'd still be there. Trying to talk the wife into going tomorrow....I can try!

For those of you who missed it, put it on your calendar for next year, it's a can't miss event! Not to mention it's just plain fun, the scenery is beautiful, the people are incredible....I just wish they had some good southern cooking to brag about, the park concessions are expensive and not very good. But you can bring your own grill and cookout! That's what I'm planning for next year, and we'll be staying all 3 days! What a BLAST!!! Rex

Rex,

It was good meeting you, however, we didn't have a chance to talk very much for some reason. The "Pup" will, no doubt, grow up to be a salesman. He was "Hangin'-in-like-Gunga-Din". You have him on the right track.

Maybe we can get together again sometimes. You are always welcome at my place.

Robert

Robert, where were you? I don't remember getting to meet you this weekend. Now I'm ticked off. Or, did we meet and my mind was just so dang overwhelmed that I don't remember?

Robert, where were you? I don't remember getting to meet you this weekend. Now I'm ticked off. Or, did we meet and my mind was just so dang overwhelmed that I don't remember?

I was only there for part of Friday. I'm sure we probably crossed paths and didn't realize it. Maybe next time.........

Robert

Rex,

It was good meeting you, however, we didn't have a chance to talk very much for some reason. The "Pup" will, no doubt, grow up to be a salesman. He was "Hangin'-in-like-Gunga-Din". You have him on the right track.

Maybe we can get together again sometimes. You are always welcome at my place.

Robert

Robert,
I think both myself and Charlie (Edmondson) might take you up on the invite, come up that way and spend a day. I've got to get through with baseball before I'll have enough time to do any of the things I want to do, in the daylight anyway, makes for a lot of long nights in the shop. We'll see what we can come up with after Blade! It was nice meeting you Robert, and the knives you make are phenomnal!!!! "The PUP" had the best time, he talked about meeting everyone, selling wood, insists on calling himself a "wood pup", instead of a "knife pup". He's a great kid and I'm so proud of him. Everyone that met him, knows what I'm talking about. Thanks for the comments Robert, makes a Big Daddy proud! Rex

Now, I told all you Dogs that Batson's was the place to be. Now you don't just have to believe me, you can listen to the other Dogs. The first weekend after Labor Day is the AFC Blacksmith Conference. More about blacksmithing than bladesmithing But if you are forging there is much to learn, or just like Rex, Murph and others said, it is just plain fun.

Reymond Head, the president of the AFC entered a "Spike Knife" in the Spike Knife Competition and got second place. I'm sorry, I didn't take a picture of it but the handle was a carved face. Really great work and one of the demonstrators at the Fall conference will be demonstrating how to carve that face.

So come on down. Cost is only $30.00 plus AFC membership of $20.00. With the membership you get their newsletter which is worth the cost.

the pup

sorry I didn't meet you, but I did meet "the pup" he talked me right into buying a good piece of stag from him. heck of a salesman and definitely a very cool young man, you should be very proud. tell him thanks again
Danny

"The Pup", is a real fine young man. I know Rex is wanting him to become the next prodigy knifesmith, but he may just end up as the next knife wood baron. Watch out guys, "The Pup" may end up with all of our money!

Wayne, to say Batson's was a blast is an understatement! I had an absolute blast this weekend. I can't begin to describe the enthusiasim and motivation I brought home after meeting so many fine makers and wonderfull people. For those of you who were unable to be there, I'm truely sorry that you missed it and I hope you can join us next year (yes, I'll be there unless Uncle Sam has other plans). I feel as though I went to Batson's with the intent of learning a little and meeting a few of the guys from here but, I came home having learned alot and having made life long friends.

sorry I didn't meet you, but I did meet "the pup" he talked me right into buying a good piece of stag from him. heck of a salesman and definitely a very cool young man, you should be very proud. tell him thanks again
Danny

Thanks Danny,
He's a pretty awesome kid, needless to say I'm very proud of him! Danny, are you the Danny that has a yahoo group? Danny in GA?

:D That's a good one! But, actually, Aldo is a very accomplished smith.

Troop,
Thats an understatement, I had the privledge of holding 3 of the knives he made and they are very fine quality, I don't know why he doesn't push his knives as much as he does his steel! Yes I do, it's called time, there's not enough of it, he spends all of his making sure we are able to get the steel we need to make out knives! Aldo, you might want to spend some time making a few blades, at least every now and then. You got talent bro`!

Greetings All
Brand new to the pack here. Feels good to be running wirh the big dogs. Thanks to all those who told me to check this site out while I was at Batson's. Had a great time meeting some of you. But of course, Batson's is always a great time. Looking forward to a new site to be part of. I kind of got tired of what went on at that "other" site.
YMHS--------------Bob

"STUBBY T POST REX", What up my brother? It's good to have you here. I was hoping you would show up so I could tell my story and it make sense.

My buddy Bob here entered the cutting competition with one of the coolest knives you ever seen. This thing has more charecter than just about any knife I've ever seen. Bob forged this blade from a t-post. It was really cool.

Unfortunately, the knife met an untimely incident in the first event of the competition, the 2 x 4 Chop.

I have to say I was extremely impressed with Robert's determination and skill with his knife. Even with a broken blade, Bob went on to take 3rd Place in the cutting competition.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• HPIM1560.jpg
    HPIM1560.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 43
  • HPIM1565.jpg
    HPIM1565.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 43
  • HPIM1566.jpg
    HPIM1566.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 44
Hey, Thanks for the welcome. It's good to be here.
It would have been sweet to have won with a broken knife and I was so close to doing that. I plan on re-making that knife with the heat treating I normally do. I did a number of experimental things on this knife that I do not plan on doing again. Then, we'll see if the whole knife can win first place. I think I am going to square off this brokken blade and turn it into a small cleaver. This sucker is still very sharp even after all the abuse it got in the comp.
Thanks again for the welcome
YMHS---------------Bob

Not only did Bob compete with a broken knife, he was the only one to stab the ping pong ball,,,, and he placed third.

My story on Bob is that the weather turned warm so he was walking all over the place bare footed. I said, "See, if we let Yankees come down here it only takes about 15 minutes to turn into a pregnant girl from Alabama."

Hey Bud

Greetings All
Brand new to the pack here. Feels good to be running wirh the big dogs. Thanks to all those who told me to check this site out while I was at Batson's. Had a great time meeting some of you. But of course, Batson's is always a great time. Looking forward to a new site to be part of. I kind of got tired of what went on at that "other" site.
YMHS--------------Bob

Glad to see ya here. I really enjoyed meeting you bud, and of course the cutting comp was pretty impressive also. By the way, I was the guy that was with Fred King. Talk to ya soon. Danny Ray:D

Back