Welcome to Knifemaking!

Curtiss Knives

KD Founding Member #1, Knifemaker
If you are new to knifemaking and have a build of your own or would like some help, this is your forum. Have fun and welcome! 2thumbs

Thanks for setting this place up, Dave! I just hope that the experienced people will visit and be able to answer questions.

Yes, I would like to thank all of you for all the help you have given me. I apologize For not being too eloquent tonight. It seems that everything I am trying to say comes out wrong... at least to me!! I wouldn't have even made my first knife if it hadn't been for this Forum. I had No tools when I joined. So that was my first question.... "What do I need?" Everyone steered me right.

Thanks Guys!!

Search Function

One of the many terrific things about KnifeDogs is that you can ask a basic question without being hammered with scorn and ridicule and told to use the search function.

The search function is a great tool, but it is folks' willingness to politely steer you towards it, rather than ignore you or belittle you if you don't start your quest there automatically.

Despite the G rating here, the men are men. They don't tend to be easily threatened and therefore are able to relax and share openly.

I have to admit when I first saw this forum I thought that maybe someone was trying to herd all of us newbie’s into one spot for easier target practice. But I received some very kind words and support from my first post.

Thanks

This place is great! I have been on here for only a few months and I feel like I am at home. Jeff Pearce has been very good to me. I stoped by his shop last week, he heat treated and cleaned up my blade I was working on. It ended up being worped. I have started number 2.
For the people that are just getting going, just ask. If you don't have it, some one dose. I have extra handle scales. I can get 5160 really cheap. Ask and you will recive.
I would like to thank Knifedogs.com for starting my new home. THANKS A MILLON!

Hi Everyone,
I am new to knifemaking myself. I ground my first blade on Wednesday. I am working with a part time maker with awesome skills. It is helping to shorten the learning curve. I have a brand new grinder on the way and many other things to purchase and learn. I am looking forward to this experience. I have been around collecting custom knives for most of my life at this point and now I am gonna try to make some. Wish me luck. BTW, I have already gotten plenty of advice reading here on the forum.

Jamie Simeon

I'm not new to knife making, just wanted to welcome all the new makers and congratulate you all getting your own forum.

Don't be afraid to ask for help, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask. These guys are great, they have the answers to your knife questions.

Larry

A Few Sticky's Needed..............

This section needs a few STICKY's
Like, Beginning Knife Making Books:
This list was taken from the old CKDF board:
BOOKS

How to Make Knives, by Robert Loveless/Richard Barney. *
Great overview of the different knifemaking methods including stock removal, forging, flat grinding, and sheaths.

Step by Step Knifemaking, by David Boye. *

Custom Knifemaking: 10 Projects From a Master Craftsman, by Tim McCreight. *

Knifecraft : A Comprehensive Step-By-Step Guide to the Art of Knifemaking, by Sidney Latham. *

Knifemaking: A Complete Guide to Crafting Knives, Handles and Sheaths, by Bo Bergman. *
This book deals exclusively with Scandinavian style knives.

Wayne Goddard's $50 Knife Shop, by Wayne Goddard. *

The Wonder of Knifemaking, by Wayne Goddard. *

Knife Talk: The Art and Science of Knifemaking, by Ed Fowler. *

The Hand Forged Blade: An Introduction to the Working of Modern Tool Steels, by Karl Schroen. *

Introduction to Bladesmithing, by E. Jay Hendrickson @

Basic Forging and Pattern Welded Damascus Steel, by Jerry Fisk @

Notes From Bill Moran's Classes on Knifemaking 1985 and Damascus Steel @

From the Past, by William Moran, Jr. @

The Complete Bladesmith: Forging Your Way to Perfection, by Jim Hrisoulas. *

Master Bladesmith: Advanced Studies in Steel, by Jim Hrisoulas. *

Pattern Welded Blade, by Jim Hrisoulas. *

Damascus Steel, by Manfred Sachse. *

On Damascus Steel, by Leo Figiel. *

Mokume Gane in the Small Shop: The Complete Guide to Diffusion Welded Mokume, by Steve Midgett. *

The Tactical Folding Knife, by Bob Terzuola. *
Instructs on how to build a locking liner folder.

How to Make Folding Knives: A Step by Step How-to, by Ron Lake, Frank Centofante, and Wayne Clay. *
Instructs on how to make lockback folders.

How to Make Multi-Blade Folding Knives, by Eugene Shadley and Terry Davis.

Practical Heat Treating, by Howard Boyer. *

Heat Treater's Guide, by Unterweiser, Boyer, and Kubbs.

The Razor Edge Book of Sharpening, by John Juranitch. *

How to Scrimshaw and Carve Ivory, by Blackie and Michael Collins. *

The Art of Engraving, by James Meek. *

Build Your Own Hydraulic Forging Press, by James Batson. @

Handbook of Management and Organization for the Knifemaker, by Jerry Fisk. @

Knife Making Books:

How to Make Knives:
http://books.google.com/books?id=zAJ...ng&lr=#PPP1,M1

Custom Knife Making:
http://books.google.com/books?id=GZq...q=knife+making

Blades Guide to Making Knives:
http://books.google.com/books?id=muA...e+knife+making

The Wonder of Knife Making, By Wayne Goddard:
http://books.google.com/books?id=lrc...making#PPP1,M1

How to Make Folding Knives:
http://books.google.com/books?id=kBp...+making&pgis=1

The $50 Knife Shop, by Wayne Goddard:
http://books.google.com/books?id=4ne...ng&lr=#PPA2,M1

Art of the Knife:
http://books.google.com/books?id=xMd...&lr=#PPA127,M1

Knives 2008:
http://books.google.com/books?id=YMy...ng&lr=#PPP1,M1

And Beginning Knife Making Links:
Something along the lines of this page===>
http://www.knivesby.com/knifemaking.html

Also a Knife Making Media Review section? or something like that
So you can review (and other can choose) what are the good books or dvd's?
What did you like about the book?
What did you not like about the DVD?

GREAT list and links, Trent! Thanks for taking the time to post all that. 2thumbs

May I add:

The Complete Guide to Sharpening, by Leonard Lee
-written for woodworkers, covers everything from chisels to circular saws. When folks find out you make knives, someone will eventually ask you to sharpen their saw or planer blade or something.

The Complete Guide to Hunting Knives, by Durwood Hollis
-not a must-have, but contains a good overview of the various styles, with commentary by many famous outdoor writers and guides.

Bowies, Big Knives, and the Best of Battle Blades, by Bill Bagwell
-contains nearly all of his 1980's columns from Soldier of Fortune magazine, and updated articles as well.

Knives Annual, edited by Joe Kurtzman
-this has been published for 30 years now. If you can't find something in every single edition that inspires you, you're just not a knife person!

Last edited:
I just wanted to take a moment to say welcome to all the new guys who may be reading this. I know we have alot of guys who sign-up and generally lurke around for a while in order to get a feel for things before they introduce themselves. Hey, I can't blame you in the least for being a bit shy at first. I was the same way, now I run my mouth (with my keyboard) on here all of the time.

I do not want to discourage anyone from asking questions here, lord knows I do it all of the time. I may have been fortunate enough to be asked by Boss to be a Mod here, but I'm a knife making moron. I have only completed a few knives and they are nothing to brag about, but there is no way I would have completed them without receiving answers to my questions and reading questions by other members here. Thank you to everyone who has helped me.

I highly encourage all of the new members and new makers to use the search function whenever they feel they may need to find the answer to a question. I'm not attempting to discourage anyone from asking a question, but we've developed enough history in the past several months to finally have a really good database of information. The great thing about Knife Dogs is that any member may use the search function to find the answer to possible questions. On some other forums, you have to be a paid member to access this function. Just keep in mind that is an option available to you.

If you're a new guy/gal just joining up, we look forward to hearing from you and learning who you are. Regardless of who you are or what experience you have, we all have something to bring to the table to share with others.

Welcome to Knife Dogs!

GREAT list and links, Trent! Thanks for taking the time to post all that. 2thumbs

May I add:

The Complete Guide to Sharpening, by Leonard Lee
-written for woodworkers, covers everything from chisels to circular saws. When folks find out you make knives, someone will eventually ask you to sharpen their saw or planer blade or something.

The Complete Guide to Hunting Knives, by Durwood Hollis
-not a must-have, but contains a good overview of the various styles, with commentary by many famous outdoor writers and guides.

Bowies, Big Knives, and the Best of Battle Blades, by Bill Bagwell
-contains nearly all of his 1980's columns from Soldier of Fortune magazine, and updated articles as well.

Knives Annual, edited by Joe Kurtzman
-this has been published for 30 years now. If you can't find something in every single edition that inspires you, you're just not a knife person!
Hhahahahah
It was cut and paste!!huh1
Thank the OTHER Rock (Rock Cowles);)

I have been at this knifemaking deal for more than 1.5 yrs now and I still consider myself an extreme newbie. Lol. I am glad us new guys have a little place to share and learn from each other and the veterans as well.

Back