A thoughtful and respectful email I received..

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I received the following email. I thought it was respectful and has good intent. Let's make sure we welcome every one and don't turn into a private boys club.

We didn't put up a noob section before because we can't keep dividing the forums forever but maybe it's time we created one now that we have nearly 3,000 of us?

Mr. Mickley.

Thanks for you recent update on the whats going on a Knifedogs.

As you are the Boss Dog, please do not take offense but I got to tell you, I dont find the forum a.very friendly place for me. Kind of feels like a private club. I get more out of The knife section at THR, and at knifeforums.
Amittedly I am a rank amatuer knife maker, but a life long knife affecionado with a deep and broad knowledge of steels and sharpening.

Maybe a newbie section?

Deepest and sincere apologies if I offended you, but a knife lover I am.

I try to welcome everyone too. If they don't post after that it's hard to know if they are around. I'm pretty shy at first but I felt welcome right away. Most questions are answered pretty fast by my observations and I don't answer all questions because I don't have the answers.

I think a newbie section would be ok for the ones that are timid about their knife making. I would probably be there all the time. LOL

I'm sorry if I have made anyone feel unwelcome here.

Larry

That letter makes me wonder what he found unfriendly about these forums? I've been at this a long time, and have frequented most of the online knife forums.... KnifeDogs is far better than most.

I also wonder if he might have asked a question that maybe didn't get answered to his satisfaction. In recent years I have run into some newer makers who have come off as having a sense of entitlement....by that I mean they won't take the time and effort to research something, but rather will call or email and basically demand that you tell them what they want to know.... we just don't know from that email.

You might laugh, or doubt what I said about some people having that sense of entitlement... just a couple of weeks ago the phone rang....the person never identified himself, just flat out asked "How do you make Mosaic Damascus!" I tried to give him the answer I give when speaking with someone who I assume doesn't understand it....but he wanted to know step by step how it was done. I tried to tell him that it's a somewhat advanced process, and asked him how much forging experience he had. His response was that he had never forged anything, but was planning to, and was going to start out making Mosaic Damascus. I suggested he learn how to forge first, then progress into damascus, and THEN into Mosaic....He got angry and said said that if I didn't want to tell him, then I could go to XXXX! I simply said "Please do not ever call here again." and hung up on him.
Now that doesn't happen often, but I am seeing that attitude more and more from SOME beginning makers. We all were once at that beginning spot... but most of us dug and dug to find the information we needed, and spent a lot of time working on our own. I guess what I'm trying to say is that instant gratification and knifemaking do not go well together....but I think that's lost on some people.

Tracy: Perhaps if you replied to that email and asked if he could elaborate??

Last edited:
As we spend time here (or anywhere) we get familiar with those around us, their personalities, backgrounds, preferences, nuances, and quirks. Its like Cheers, we come back because we are all, after a while, Norm, and everybody knows our name. That takes time. It takes an investment of both time and participation.

I'm not sure how many posts this new fella had. I don't know if he lurked before he joined. For a while after I got out of the service (the first time) I belonged to a Twelve Step group. One night a friend and I decided to go check out one group that we heard was terrific. We showed up a little late and unfortunately that was a bit disruptive and maybe even frowned upon. Either way, we didn't get a huge warm welcome or standing ovation for showing up. No hugs from the hotties either, and when the meeting ended, we hit the doors nearly running. I griped to the guy who told us about the meeting about no one saying hello. He quickly put me in my place by asking me how many people we said hello to.

New Guy, sometimes it just takes time to become immersed in a new community. We are close knit and protective, but welcome everyone who loves knives with open arms. We guard our G rated, family forum way of life closely, but don't intentionally exclude anyone.

I am a member of a different forum where you are as likely to be attacked and ridiculed as welcomed, and some of its "moderators" are the biggest perpetrators. I have seen less than a handful of rude comments on here in the five months or so that I have been an active member, and it was always someone with less than two dozen posts who initiated it.

Brand new folks who walk in and instantly want to make suggestions to change or improve things might just be in the wrong place.

Last edited:
I guess I don't need to make a long theory or question this persons thinking because that has already been done, So I guess all I can say is this........

Well heck...........Tell him to come back and join the fun!!

Wow, Ed. That's just a crazy story!

Sorry to hear that about the new member. I've been apart of message boards since around '97 when I was hot-rodding Mustangs. I joined BF in 2002, and it took me a long time of lurking and learning before I posted anything much. I think Rock hit it on the head, it takes some time to learn the personalities (to the extent that you can on a message board). It also doesn't mean anything when a question goes unanswered. I've seen new members other places post a question and then gripe about no answers 20 minutes later!

Anyway, I hope he/she sticks around. This group is a very laid back and enjoyable bunch.

--nathan

My take is that Knifedogs is the politest of all the knife forums.

Tracy I am sorry you got this letter. I will make every atempt to go through the intro page daily. I feel bad that someone has the wrong impression of KD.

I feel like most others that Knifedogs is a very friendly helpfull bunch of folks. But in our defence in a 4 day period almost 35 intros were added to the intro page. Thats a lot of typing if you were to sit and say hello to everyone who introduced themselves. To be honest I dont get on the computer a whole lot and I dont allways go to the intro page. That being said. I will make an effort from now on to say a quick hello to all who introduce themselves because it did make me feel good when it was done to me.

So to all of you who have introduced yourselves and I did not say hello...........

Welcome to Knifedogs!! :D 2thumbs

intimidating quality

Maybe he was intimidated by the high quality of knives shown here.

On some of the blacksmith forums anything that looks vaguely knife like gets praise and encouragement. On this forum the knives look so good that a beginner might be reluctant to show his work.

ernie

I think he sees the big names and thinks this is a club for that. Thats far from the truth. Our little forum is designed to be for everyone that will enjoy the rated "G" atmosphere. We are all here to help on another and have a good time. If we need a "newbie" section, I'll start one if it will be put to good use. I need to hang out there anyway! Please reply to this individual and let them know we are here to support the new and old dog knifemakers. Come on back! 2thumbs

Well, I AM a Newbie. I actually recommend this Forum over others. I can't and won't speak for others. I will say that I really EXPECT you "Old Hands" To point out MY Flaws. Otherwise I will never improve!! Yes, Some have told me that my first knife looks better than someone with a "Name" in the business' first one. Maybe so, maybe not. I don't think so anyway, But I am usually my worst critic.

I understand you don't want to scare the new guys away,and that is fine. As I said, I understand. To be honest I don't want to be "ripped a new one" but honesty goes a long way too. I was told in the Army that "Tact, is the ability to be able to tell someone to go to Hades in such a way, That they actually look forward to the trip!!"(Trying to keep it "G" rated.) Now if you "Tactfully" Rip me a new one,all I'm going to say is "Thanks". I guess my desire is larger than my Ego, if that makes sense. I REALLY want to make a knife that is on a par with some of you all's knives, Probably not as good, but close anyway.

I can promise you that I did not write that PM. I think everyone here is nicer than some other places, I've visited. But that is just My Opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions......

Anyway, I just wanted to let all of you know that not all "Newbies" feel that way. With the greatest of respect for all of you, and those that follow....

poco

The knife community is a good place to make friends.

I have made more friends over my life as a member of the knife community than when involved in any other pastime. Whether as a collector, talking to the makers at the shows. Or as a maker talking to the collectors and knife lovers, who stopped by my table at the shows; after I had caught the knife making bug.:) I made friends. Most of all; as a mentor working with people who would like to become knife makers or just gain knowledge so they could enjoy the knife experience more. I made life long friends. Many of you here on the forums; I call friend.
The gentleman who wrote you BD; is a potential friend to all here. I think he just dropped by during a slow time or a time when forumites where involved elsewhere.

We most heartily welcome new members, that is a given. So come on back and spend some time. Add your comments and ask a question or two. You will find us to be pretty good company.cool 1

Regards, Fred

I am member of several knife boards and I this one and knifenetwork the best. The people here have been very welcoming. I think a newb area would be nice though.

As a future knife maker wannabe, posting in a newbie section would be far less intimidating
than in the maker section. But then again, I'm not terribly bashful at diving in.

Leadfoot

As a future knife maker wannabe, posting in a newbie section would be far less intimidating
than in the maker section. But then again, I'm not terribly bashful at diving in.

Leadfoot

I want to see your double gainer with a double twist in the tucked position, off the high board, immediately.:)
Fred

I am a "Newbie" as well, I have exactly ONE finished knife and about 7 in various stages of progress. I have always felt welcome here and have always been given helpful advice when I asked. I also try to give advice when I feel I have something to offer.

I have tried to help some beginners by telling them specific problems I see. I have tried to be very tactful when giving advice. I personally want to know exactly what people see wrong with my knives when I post pictures and ask questions. The good old "It looks great" is not going to help me improve my skills.

I hope the person who PM'ed you will see this thread and realize that many of us are Noobs and that help is here if your really looking for it.

Back