Idea for new forum....Admins Please Read

bootstrap

Hey guys, my idea is pretty simple. How about a forum set up to show knives being put through their paces. Whether its for chopping, kitchen use, hunting, fishing, camping, bushcraft or what ever, it would be nice see some blade perform their intended tasks. this would be for pics or videos.

What do y'all think? I know for me, I think knives should be able to perform their task. I know some knives are never going to be used, but for those who make users, this would be a show off or demo. I wouldn't seeing those awesome choppers in action or ABS testing.

Best regards

Last edited:
:haha:

BIG ERN,I nearly fell out the chair when I seen the lunch box.
I remember the day your girlfriend took the pic of you filing your first knife on the front porch.I think most ribbed you a little about it,but you were a good sport.

I have never met ya,but I think you are a great guy,and already one heck of a Knifemaker.You have been blessed with real talent.Keep it up and good luck.

God bless,Keith

Best place I could think for it that way just not makers are posting, we can get collectors or anyone posting pics.

We'll make a new sub-forum in the "Knife Pictures" area.

The "Knife Pictures" area is open for everyone, not just makers, where people post pictures of their favorite edged tools.

:)

BC

Post them up in the link, They can all go in there!!!

I think you're missing my point. Bootstrap asked about a forum showing knives being put through their paces. Fighters, swords and daggers are used to kill or wound people, as are many of the current tactical knives. Are we just going to limit the types of knives shown being used to only camping and kitchen knives? We have a G rated forum, so we can show knives chopping celery or slicing mushrooms but can we show a scene from a movie that graphically demonstrates the use of a knife as a weapon (or some film archive of the real thing)? What about something less sinister like a film or stills from the ranch showing the castration of yearlings or the gutting and skinning of a deer? Even the field dressing of game is going to fall into a harsher rating system. You ever see the field dressing of an elephant? I have, and it's not . . . neat and tidy! These are all proper and legitimate uses for knives. Be careful what you ask for.

David

If only someone could make some type of video as "PROOF" of what their knives or swords could do!

I think you're missing my point. Bootstrap asked about a forum showing knives being put through their paces. Fighters, swords and daggers are used to kill or wound people, as are many of the current tactical knives. Are we just going to limit the types of knives shown being used to only camping and kitchen knives? We have a G rated forum, so we can show knives chopping celery or slicing mushrooms but can we show a scene from a movie that graphically demonstrates the use of a knife as a weapon (or some film archive of the real thing)? What about something less sinister like a film or stills from the ranch showing the castration of yearlings or the gutting and skinning of a deer? Even the field dressing of game is going to fall into a harsher rating system. You ever see the field dressing of an elephant? I have, and it's not . . . neat and tidy! These are all proper and legitimate uses for knives. Be careful what you ask for.

David

David, I know what you mean but no we can not show people getting cut in half.
We can however show a sword going through a pumpkin or something else in that manner.
I know that's not the intended use but it will show what the sword is capable of. If you know what I mean!!! Sorry I was not more specific.

There is already pictures in the thread of the skinning of game, And that is ok we just don't need to have buckets of blood, I know there can be good pictures taken that show the use of a edged tool that do not have to be distasteful. Also If you have pics of the skinning of an elephant.....I want to see:eek:

If only someone could make some type of video as "PROOF" of what their knives or swords could do!

They have. Way, way back when I was a kid there was a movie with clips that showed Ghurka troops and their British officers killing cattle with kukris. At one time the Japanese did that with condemned prisoners to proof some of their katanas. Cutting bamboo bundled together demonstrates the skill of the swordsman, but doesn't proof the blade because the sword was meant for battle, not chopping down the bamboo forest. Bullfighters in Spain kill the bull with a sword. Soldiers in the sandboxes doing house entries are trained to let go of their M4s if the rifles are grabbed and pull their knives and stab the bad guys.

Frankly, the ABS tests of cutting a free hanging rope or a 2x4 isn't demonstrating the knives in its intended use. They are just part of their testing method for the blade that is somewhat standardized.

I guess if all anyone wants to see is some sapling being felled or an onion chopped, that's fine. But it really limits what a lot of knives are intended to do. Most of the Bowies and fighters you see from both ABS makers and grinders like me aren't camp knives.

David

They have. Way, way back when I was a kid there was a movie with clips that showed Ghurka troops and their British officers killing cattle with kukris. At one time the Japanese did that with condemned prisoners to proof some of their katanas. Cutting bamboo bundled together demonstrates the skill of the swordsman, but doesn't proof the blade because the sword was meant for battle, not chopping down the bamboo forest. Bullfighters in Spain kill the bull with a sword. Soldiers in the sandboxes doing house entries are trained to let go of their M4s if the rifles are grabbed and pull their knives and stab the bad guys.

Frankly, the ABS tests of cutting a free hanging rope or a 2x4 isn't demonstrating the knives in its intended use. They are just part of their testing method for the blade that is somewhat standardized.

I guess if all anyone wants to see is some sapling being felled or an onion chopped, that's fine. But it really limits what a lot of knives are intended to do. Most of the Bowies and fighters you see from both ABS makers and grinders like me aren't camp knives.

David

David, How do you test your Bowies and Fighters?:eek:

Should I start watching America's most wanted?:p

David,
Your point is well taken. As a moderator, albeit a new one, we won't jeopardize our 'G' rating for anything we can quickly react to. Everyone knows what the ultimate purpose of all these tactical blades are but not many want to see it. I had a soldier who wanted one of my knives make me the offer of " If I send you a picture of this sticking out of someone, will you give me my money back?" I respectfully declined.
I would hope that if some of my work were used for legitamate self defense or military offense, that it would perform well. But I don't need photos.
I doubt that was the original intention regarding a sub forum showing usage, but we all asked the right questions, which is reassuring.

Hey Ernie, I have home video of a bull elephant being disassembled by 26 very thankful local villagers on a recent safari and maybe I'll let you see it someday at my house, but it won't be online and certainly not on this forum.

My original avatar here was me with a large male lion and I took a little grief for it, and that's OK because the experience is not for everyone.

Thanks for the discussion,
Steve Janik

Last edited:
David,
Your point is well taken. As a moderator, albeit a new one, we won't jeopardize our 'G' rating for anything we can quickly react to. Everyone knows what the ultimate purpose of all these tactical blades are but not many want to see it. I had a soldier who wanted one of my knives make me the offer of " If I send you a picture of this sticking out of someone, will you give me my money back?" I respectfully declined.
I would hope that if some of my work were used for legitamate self defense or military offense, that it would perform well. But I don't need photos.
I doubt that was the original intention regarding a sub forum showing usage, but we all asked the right questions, which is reassuring.

Hey Ernie, I have home video of a bull elephant being disassembled by 26 very thankful local villagers on a recent safari and maybe I'll let you see it someday at my house, but it won't be online and certainly not on this forum.

Thanks for the discussion,
Steve Janik

Steve I have actually seen an elephant from walking to bare bones.
probably the same video........But I did see it on the internet.
But there were no knives involved.

Last edited:
David, I know what you mean but no we can not show people getting cut in half.
We can however show a sword going through a pumpkin or something else in that manner.
I know that's not the intended use but it will show what the sword is capable of. If you know what I mean!!! Sorry I was not more specific.

There is already pictures in the thread of the skinning of game, And that is ok we just don't need to have buckets of blood, I know there can be good pictures taken that show the use of a edged tool that do not have to be distasteful. Also If you have pics of the skinning of an elephant.....I want to see:eek:

Ernie, there are some people who will find the blood, limited as it is, distasteful.

Twenty five or so years ago I heard a speech by the first white hunter to go on safari in Zimbabwe after the revolution. He was hunting kudu with black powder. Someone else shot an elephant and he had slides of the people from a local village dealing with her. You field dress an elephant from the inside out! It was . . . interesting, to say the least!

I'm playing devil's advocate here. I don't particularly want to see heads roll and blood spray any more than you or Steve or others do. But the door has been opened on shots of knives being used as they are intended. Katanas weren't meant to cut pumpkins. As I said before, be careful what you ask for, or the moderators may be working overtime!

And no, you won't be seeing my face on America's Most Wanted, unless you watch the older reruns.

David

Back