I buried 'em

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
6 years ago I had some old knives in the bottom drawer I didn't want out there and I didn't want to look at them anymore. I went to the back yard, dug a hole and threw them in. I got curious last weekend and dug them up to have a look.
Really interesting. The Stainless steels have very little corrosion except one spot. That may have been when I threw a pound of salt in the hole when I buried them. The bowie blade is 01 and had some good rust going. The little wood working blade on the left was A2 and took some heavy hits on corrosion and rust. The carved leather sheath came out surprisingly good. The wax/oil dip sheath came out just as crummy as the day it went in.
After a quick look, I threw them back in the hole and covered them up. I'll have another look in 5 or 6 years from now.

buried-in-the-back.jpg

Thats really funny and nearly weird at the same time. :eek: What else do you have buried in the back yard? huh1

Those look better than the ones I make now. :eek::D Most of us probably have knives we should have buried. I keep mine to remind me how far I've come when I screw up or get discouraged. I managed to redesign and salvage 2 or three after I learned to make knives.:rolleyes:

Larry

Someday archeologists will dig that up and be marvelled by our primitive tool making skills. You should also thrown an old life jacket in there and they will think that it was a great city under The Sea of Minnesota.

Steve

From that spot, future generations will be able to face east to Mecca (Siren, Wisc). The current center of the knife making vortex.

(Hey Big, It's almost raffle time, stay awake)...

From that spot, future generations will be able to face east to Mecca (Siren, Wisc). The current center of the knife making vortex.

(Hey Big, It's almost raffle time, stay awake)...

No they will ave to face North East.............no wait they will be pulled by the force!!!:D

Don't worry I am watching this one like a hawk:eek:

Tracy, When are you going to bury a grinderhuh1

Thats really funny and nearly weird at the same time. :eek: What else do you have buried in the back yard? huh1

My best friend always tells the story of how his dad and uncles did some questionable acts in a old dodge and wanted to get rid of it. So they ended up putting it in the backyard...... in a huge hole. Then there was an article in the local paper interviewing a guy that found a piece of metal sticking out of the ground every spring (rear trunk spring) and tried to dig it out and ended up having to excavate the car.

We decided that we needed a similar story. SO I went and picked up a "free" antique piano and I had to keep it in my garage for about 4 months to coordinate the "boys" coming over and burying it behind the garage while my wife was gone. I still have the exploits on video. Wife never found out. Now it is the inside joke and secret among our group of friends. I recommend doing something similar as it really makes a group of friends closer somehow. 2thumbs

Thats awesome, T.....hahaha

I wonder what mine will look like 20 years from now. I will never know since we are moving:eek:

I see a couple there that should have been keepers?????:eek:

Tracy,
I remember reading the thread on bladeforums when you were burying them. Guys, if you could have seen them pre-burial, it would make you cry. Tracy wanted to get rid of them because they "weren't just right" but they were just "righter" than anything I had produced.

I just dug up the original thread, and it still has the pics attached!
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358987

Last edited:
Boss is going to dig these up in 15 years and sell them for thousands of dollars as his "Aged To Perfection" line.

Tracy,
I remember reading the thread on bladeforums when you were burying them. Guys, if you could have seen them pre-burial, it would make you cry. Tracy wanted to get rid of them because they "weren't just right" but they were just "righter" than anything I had produced.

I just dug up the original thread, and it still has the pics attached!
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=358987

thanks for the link...I updated my original post there. I see from the original picture I missed a couple when I dug those up. I'll have to look for those next time.

Back