Works in progress; one, two and three.

Fred Rowe

These three blades are ready to harden. They'll get a coat of anti scale liquid this evening and get quenched tomorrow morning.

The blades are 9" 7" and 3 1/2" long. End grain cable on top followed by two feather pattern pieces.

I like working on multiply knives at once. When one piece is getting nowhere you can move to one of the others.

All three blades will get a double forward arched guard made from hot blued mild steel or wrought iron.

Jigs+are+what+made+us_+067.jpg

The blades as they came out of the quench.
firemans+knife+post+031.jpg

I like to draw handles using the actual blades slipped into a slot in the paper folder. I think you get a better idea of how they will look in the end.

firemans+knife+post+016.jpg

Here are the wrought iron guards mounted on the perspective knives.

firemans+knife+post+027.jpg

Hope to get some time to work on the farrels this weekend.

I'll post again when I get the handles roughed out.

Thanks for looking, FREd

Last edited:
Fred, I'me going to have to have one of your knives one day soon!! Love the top blade. I can just imagine that one with a nice guard and some premium grade Desert Ironwood.

Finally had a couple of days to work on these knives and wanted to share what was accomplished.

Fred

Fred, I still like the smallest one the best. The guard goes great with the blade shape. Once you finish with the handle if you stood it up on the butt end it would look like a kachina or corn maiden.
petroglyph.jpg

That was the first thought that popped into my mind when I saw the guard and handle sketch. All 3 of these are looking great.

Back