The Combat Shellcracker

Steven Janik

SUPERMOD & AWARDS BOSS
attachment.php

Finally got one together.

This is the 10" ORCA model from .250" thick 1095 steel with black and green G10 scales and .063 black vulcanized spacers.
The scales are made on a homade fixture on my oscillating spindle sander, I have lots of pix and will post a tutorial. The scales are bolted on with 10-24 machine screws into knurled brass nuts pressed into the opposite scale. This knife is for a lefty so the brass is on the inside.

The sheath is my own from .093 Kydex with a large tech-loc clip. The blade is etched in HR dapple and the scales are finished with gun oil.

I added the new owners name on the spine before camo etching at his fathers request.

This piece weighs in at 12.6 ounces and is sharpened top and bottom. The lug at the butt end is a great glass break or melon cracker.

This is NOT your grannies bluegill skinner!!!!

Thanks for looking and load me up with comments, good or bad.

Regards, Steve

Attachments

• ORCA 056.jpg
    ORCA 056.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 381
  • ORCA 081.jpg
    ORCA 081.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 80
  • ORCA 015.jpg
    ORCA 015.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 78
  • ORCA 048.jpg
    ORCA 048.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 67
  • ORCA 021.jpg
    ORCA 021.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 101
A few more pix

Just a few WIP pictures and a shot of the "AKULA" (Russian for shark) which is 11 1/2" OA length.

Thanks,
Steve

Attachments

• WIP 1 007.jpg
    WIP 1 007.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 68
  • WIP 1 032.jpg
    WIP 1 032.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 71
  • WIP 1 047.jpg
    WIP 1 047.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 66
  • WIP 1 064.jpg
    WIP 1 064.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 63
  • ORCA 084.jpg
    ORCA 084.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 73
Hey "BIG",

That's my own variation of the mustard etch. It involves horse radish and fine sawdust. Pretty simple actually, but I would wear rubber gloves next time.

Thanks to all for the great comments. I initially drew this knife and made acrylic models last year and played around til I got it where I thought it was ergonomically correct. It is still heavy and I may skeletonize the handle but the balance is great. But of course, that's just my opinion.

Regards,
Steve

Very slick, Steve. I like the way the new makers mark came out too. Its a stout functional knife. What makes it a lefty, the handle formation?

Rock,
The only thing lefty is the sheath and I did keep the brass inserts on the inside in case there's any glare.

Thanks for looking,
Steve

Got some PM's inquiring about an 8" OAL model and possibly a folder version. These ideas are in the works and the folder will probably be a flipper, gotta talk to David about that one.

Thanks for the support,
Steve

Very good looking knife. Should serve the new owner very well.

Question on your handle contouring jig, what diamater are the grooves?

Charlie

Charlie,
Sorry I didn't catch your question earlier, but the drum diameter is 3/4" . Thanks for asking.

I'm doing a set now with .180" black Corian backer and OD green G10 over. I'll cut the grooves down til the black just starts to show thru then hand sand to finish. I'll post some pix Sun or Monday.

Thanks for the great comments guys.
Regards,
Steve

Back