something new. over heated?

UncleBillyKnives

:confused:i just saw someting i have not seen before. when grinding a blade after heat treating, the blade, made from 0-1, had some small pits in it like rust pits that were not there before heat treat. they were close to the edge. i ground it out but now i am worried. did i over heat the blade before quench? it is a large knife with a blade about 12 inches. i made a new forge out of a freon tank just to do bigger blades and this was the first time i used it. did i over heat the steel? has anyone seen this before? thank for your help.

Uncle Billy:mad:

Last edited:
most likely overheated. I heat treat 01 at 1500 degrees with a 10 minute soak. But thats in an oven. Try less heat and I also only grind to a 220 grit belt before heat treat. Hope I was of some help. GOD BLESS!! Michael

:confused:i just saw someting i have not seen before. when grinding a blade after heat treating, the blade, made from 0-1, had some small pits in it like rust pits that were not there before heat treat. they were close to the edge. i ground it out but now i am worried. did i over heat the blade before quench? it is a large knife with a blade about 12 inches. i made a new forge out of a freon tank just to do bigger blades and this was the first time i used it. did i over heat the steel? has anyone seen this before? thank for your help.

Uncle Billy:mad:

How long did you let it stay in the forge, after being non-magnetic?? You should not have overheated it, if you kept checking with a magnet??

How long did you let it stay in the forge, after being non-magnetic?? You should not have overheated it, if you kept checking with a magnet??

I did check it often and once it was non-magnetic I made sure the heat was even throughout the blade then edge quenched in motor oil heated to around 150 degrees. This new forge does get hotter than my mini forge. I have not noticed any difference in the way the treated steel grinds but I am still a little worried. This knife is for the guy who helped (did most of the work) fabbing the new forge, so I want it to turn out nice. Thanks for the reply.

Back