Decent Folder Kit

bjtiger75

I am new to this knife making gig, but I want to try making a liner lock folder kit. I would like one that scales can be put on. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this as it is very much an experiment. Does anybody have any suggestions as to a kit they have used in the past? I am not real picky about the blade size as long as it is under 4".

Thanks
BJ

Bill,

I just got belts from Tracy in UPS today. I am looking more for someone's thoughts on a kit that they have used. If that is one of Tracy's kits even better. I don't mind supporting a guy that gives us knife junkies a place to hang out:)

BJ

BJ,
Not sure what style you might be interested in but I have put a few of these kits together to learning about folders. One was a real bear as screws were not taped square and bolster had to be reshaped. Here is a pic of one I got from Knifekits.com that was pretty reasonable and had decent fit, sharp blade and locks up nice right out of the box. The model is the EV-4N1. I put the scales on here from some Micarta I got from Tracy Mickley. He has kits but I have not tried any of his and last time I checked they were more traditional style pocket knives.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Yellow Bird-.jpg
    Yellow Bird-.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 138
BJ
knifekits.com has some good folder kits.Several styles to choose from.I have done a couple.The ddr3 kit is a good one.
Stan

Thanks for the heads up on knifekits.com. The kit Eric posted is exactly what I am looking for. I appreciate it.

BJ

Guess it depends on what you are looking for. If you want a basic "bolt together" knife, then there are several places to choose from. Jantz, Texas Knifemakers and so on. If you are looking for a set of parts to get you started in making knives, then US Knifemakers is the way to go.

BJ,
Let us know how it goes. GLWJ/CK has a good point to, USA Knifemaker has lots of parts for folders and you may want to trick this knife up a little with some bronze washers or ... Good luck!

Back