Looking for a good anvil....

McClellan Made Blades

Hey Dogs,
I'm looking for a new (to me) anvil, between 180 and 200 pounds, larger would be better, but shipping might be too much, I guess it depends on the price. I'm not super picky as long as it has nice clean edges and minimal dings on the face. ( hey thats not real picky, is it?) Prefer a Hay Budden, Peter Wright, and mostly one of the older Swedish anvils, I can't spell their name with out looking at it. If anyone knows where I might find one please drop me a line. I've considered driving to pick it up, but shipping will be prefered, since baseball season has started, time just got a lot shorter for me to spend on my knives. Thanks Dogs, Rex
BTW, I'm in Central Alabama.

Go to www.euroanvils.com. These are now cast in the USA! New and not a lot more than an old used anvil. I have been using a 500# for about 8 years and sold my 100# Peter Wright so that I could buy a 119# for my demonstration anvil. Once you try a double horned anvil you will not go back to English Pattern.

Wayne I went to Euroanvils web site, they say they sell through Blacksmith Supply, sent them an email, Blacksmith Supply's site only has one anvil on it, a 500 pounder for 3100.00 smackers. Way out of my dreams right there. I sent the email asking if they had anything else, Thanks for the tip, Rex

Go to www.euroanvils.com. These are now cast in the USA! New and not a lot more than an old used anvil. I have been using a 500# for about 8 years and sold my 100# Peter Wright so that I could buy a 119# for my demonstration anvil. Once you try a double horned anvil you will not go back to English Pattern.

Nope, click on "Current Prices" or go to http://www.euroanvils.net/prices.php

Wayne, what good will it do if the only U.S. distributor doesn't have any? I like the 175 #'er, a bit pricey at $765.00, and I'm sure that's PLUS shipping, which I don't know where that will be shipped from. I've got a line on a Soderford Paragon 200#'er, that I'm trying my best to be paitent on, waiting to see if the guy is going to sell it...I may give him until Batson's, then all bets are off. I need one sooner than later, Batson's is 2 weeks away I think I can wait that long. Then I'll go up there, and hopefully come home with one that will be what I want. Thanks for your help. I will keep checking on the Euroanvils, I've heard nothing but good things about them, and the 175 is supposed to be a really nice one. I believe, Mr. Robert Dark,
of Dark Knives, has that one. But $765.00, is a lot of money and you figure with shipping a few hundred more, there's no telling what that baby will cost.
Thanks for your help, Rex
BTW- We have got to meet up at Batsons, will you have a sign or anything at your table?

"Looking for a good anvil...."
..........................................aren't we all?

Kind of reminds me of a bumper sticker I used to see on the car belonging to a nurse that lived in the same neighborhood I used to.
It said, "A hard man is good to find!" :eek: :unsure: huh1

Last edited:
Rex,

I have the model 110 (260 pounds) from Old World Anvils. Great anvil. Prices have gone up (naturally) since I got mine about 3-4 years ago. Seems like mine was around a grand and that included shipping to Alabama.

Robert

I would e-mail John (Blacksmith Supply) and ask him when he will have a 175. He is outside Richmond, Va. I just looked at his web-site and he shows that the 175 is in stock. He will be at the ABANA Conference in Memphis, June 2-5, 2010. If you are not going to the conference you could get someone from the AFC to pick it up for you and save the shipping.

Come by my trailer and hang out at the Batson Blade Symposium (and all you other Dogs).

I'm looking at the 2 Horn Classic, 167 pound anvil. For all of you looking for an anvil, eBay is a god way to find one, ONLY if it is close enough to pick it up. If it has to be shipped, you may be able to afford it, but that isn't the point, my point is that after you pay for shipping it's not worth the total price you paid for it, that may or may not matter to you, but it does to me. I still have a line on a 200 pound Swedish Soderford! If the guy will sell it, he keeps on flip flopping, but I'm paitent...to a point! I think I'm going to keep looking until Batsons, look there to see if I can find one there if that fails, I'll buy the 2 horn Classic from Old world Anvils, I'm waiting on a shipping quote now....like waiting on a baby being born! Thanks DAWGS! For all of the help, Rex

If you're in a watching and waiting mode, you could set up a search for an anvil on eBay in the blacksmith category. Specifying for hits only within x number of miles of your zip code. You can have it email you when hits come up. You can do something similar in Craigslist, but manually or with third party software.

You might also consider checking in with salvage yards and pawn shops. Some of the guys who are in businesses such as that have incredible inventories running around in their heads of things they've seen and people and places they know. You just might get lucky.

If you're in a watching and waiting mode, you could set up a search for an anvil on eBay in the blacksmith category. Specifying for hits only within x number of miles of your zip code. You can have it email you when hits come up. You can do something similar in Craigslist, but manually or with third party software.

You might also consider checking in with salvage yards and pawn shops. Some of the guys who are in businesses such as that have incredible inventories running around in their heads of things they've seen and people and places they know. You just might get lucky.

Thanks Phil and everyone that chimed in,
I wasn't aware of the search feature on eBay. But it is no longer a problem...My quest is over!!!!! I have purchased a near perfect 240# Hay Budden!!!! Absolutely beautiful, no chipping on the sides, very few dings on the face, I believe it was made in either 1889 or 1898. I'll post some pics tomorrow once I get my stand built.

To answer your post, I've been going to the scrap yard at least once a week for the last month, another good tip-find the boss of the scrap yard, make him a knife. Then leave him your name and as many contact numbers as you have. Ask him to call you if anything that looks like an anvil comes through the door. I know this works because when I asking him if he could give me a call if an anvil came in, he started stuttering and stammering around, then he told me that there were a couple of knife making clubs that pick them over real good, that come from up north. He said they come in every week. He then says they bring him something almost every time they come by. I assumed it was a knife or knife related, but I was wrong it was freakin LUNCH! So, in my shameless attempt to grease the wheels a little I did take him lunch a couple of times, nothing fancy just a combo meal. But, I do believe it did help, a little. I've looked on Craigs List as well, but I will say this about it being too far away, if it's not within driving distance the shipping charges will be a lot. The cheapest I saw was $161, but that was shipping it to my friends work where he has a delivery dock. Dropped the charges from around $220, so keep that in mind if you can arrange shipping to a place that has a dock. Also, keep in mind that you can pick it up from the terminal, I did not get any quotes for doing that so I don't know what the savings would be.

Thanks Dogs for all the help. Can't wait to show you all the pics of my new (to me) anvil, Rex

MY NEW ANVIL!!!!!

Thanks Phil and everyone that chimed in,
I wasn't aware of the search feature on eBay. But it is no longer a problem...My quest is over!!!!! I have purchased a near perfect 240# Hay Budden!!!! Absolutely beautiful, no chipping on the sides, very few dings on the face, I believe it was made in either 1889 or 1898. I'll post some pics tomorrow once I get my stand built.

To answer your post, I've been going to the scrap yard at least once a week for the last month, another good tip-find the boss of the scrap yard, make him a knife. Then leave him your name and as many contact numbers as you have. Ask him to call you if anything that looks like an anvil comes through the door. I know this works because when I asking him if he could give me a call if an anvil came in, he started stuttering and stammering around, then he told me that there were a couple of knife making clubs that pick them over real good, that come from up north. He said they come in every week. He then says they bring him something almost every time they come by. I assumed it was a knife or knife related, but I was wrong it was freakin LUNCH! So, in my shameless attempt to grease the wheels a little I did take him lunch a couple of times, nothing fancy just a combo meal. But, I do believe it did help, a little. I've looked on Craigs List as well, but I will say this about it being too far away, if it's not within driving distance the shipping charges will be a lot. The cheapest I saw was $161, but that was shipping it to my friends work where he has a delivery dock. Dropped the charges from around $220, so keep that in mind if you can arrange shipping to a place that has a dock. Also, keep in mind that you can pick it up from the terminal, I did not get any quotes for doing that so I don't know what the savings would be.

Thanks Dogs for all the help. Can't wait to show you all the pics of my new (to me) anvil, Rex

OK Dogs, for your viewing pleasure, MY NEW (TO ME) Hay Budden 240 pound anvil!!!! You can see on the first pic the side was used for hot cutting, I'm proud to say who ever had it was smart enough not to use the face for hot cutting! It makes it look more used, but given it's age, I think it's just a little more character. Charlie said he thinks it was made in 1896, but I should double check that, I plan on it when ever I get time to slow down. Check out the pics tell me what you all think. Rex

Attachments

• Hay Budden 240# 001.jpg
    Hay Budden 240# 001.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Hay Budden 240# 002.jpg
    Hay Budden 240# 002.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 20
  • Hay Budden 240# 003.jpg
    Hay Budden 240# 003.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 20
  • Hay Budden 240# 004.jpg
    Hay Budden 240# 004.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 19
It sure looks nice. A lot of old time blacksmiths would test chisels after heat treating on the side of the anvil to check that they were hardened and tempered properly.

It looks like someone has done some repair work on it (which isn't bad). See the difference in the color around the hardy hole? Also, I doubt that the edges would be in that good shape.

Not criticisms, just observations.

It sure looks nice. A lot of old time blacksmiths would test chisels after heat treating on the side of the anvil to check that they were hardened and tempered properly.

It looks like someone has done some repair work on it (which isn't bad). See the difference in the color around the hardy hole? Also, I doubt that the edges would be in that good shape.

Not criticisms, just observations.

Wayne,
I'll go back and look at it, see if I can tell if there were any repairs, not that it matters, the rebound on this baby makes hammerin`so much fun, and a whole lot easier. I worked on it a little while tonight, such a blast! I'd probably still be hammerin` if I hadn't of ran out of gas! I'm going to have to tone down the ring on it or move it over by the door to let some of the resonance outside instead of bouncing off the walls! Other than that, I'm very happy with it. If it was repaired, the person who did it knew what he was doing. The edges aren't perfect, they are close, but there are little chips here and there. Thanks to everyone who provided suggestions, advice and encouragement. I'm sure now that I've found mine they'll start coming out of the woodwork or falling out of the sky. It looks like finding anvils falls into the feast or famine category, so if I find one I'll pass it onto you all. Thanks DOGS! Rex

I suggest that you make a 3 legged stand, look at
Dean Curfman uses the 500lb Euroanvil

then use a good adhesive silicone caulk. It will really quieten it down and you can get close to your work and stand up straight to relieve back strain.

I suggest that you make a 3 legged stand, look at
Dean Curfman uses the 500lb Euroanvil

then use a good adhesive silicone caulk. It will really quieten it down and you can get close to your work and stand up straight to relieve back strain.

Wayne,
I built my anvil stand out of 6 x 6 posts, I cut them a little long because I was expecting to have to take a little more off after I made the cut, my mitre saw (10") couldn't make the entire 51/2" cut through the wood, so I had to turn it and make a 2nd cut, which of course was not perfectly lined up. But once I got it all drilled and the all thread run through it and bolted up, it's pretty solid, if you use both hands and pull hard you can get it to rock just a little, now it's a little higher than what I expected. I tried it out last night, at a higher level than I normally use and it was great! I use Dr. Jim Hrisoulas method for measuring the correct height, (standing next to the anvil with your hand closed, the face comes to the top of the knuckles). I think that is a starting point because this is the way my old anvil, a
C. Robin post anvil was measured at. I regularly had back aches from working on it, not a problem last night, I still need to get used to the new height, I start out getting my body in the right position and I don't have to bend at the waist nearly as much. I have a weird body, I'm 6'3" with a 30" inseam, so all my height comes from my waist. Short-stubby legs, my wife calls me "Torso Man". Like I said a weird body. The new height is working pretty good so far, I'll no more Saturday, after I spend 4 or 5 hours working on it. I do like that stand, the way it's built, your feet can get under it which will allow it to get closer. My buddy Charlie built his the same way I did, except he used 4x4's, I had these 6x6's already, I recycle every stick of lumber I can.
I'll let you know how well it works, I think this is similar to the way Wayne Goddard built his, it's not stacked up 2x4 scraps, the 6x6's are stood on end, at close to the right height, I then drilled to them to accept all 3/8ths all thread, 2 top and bottom on the end and 1 for each piece through the center on the side. It pulled it all togther nicely. I also picked up some of the eye bolts with out the bolt, I put them on the ends of the all thread for tong holders, I'm going to get some strapping material to make some solid hammer holders, and also to run a band of the strapping around the entire base of the stand, probably not necessary, but it'll be some extra insurance to make it everything tie in together. I've heard of using an inner tube with a weight hanging off the horn to reduce the ringing. I've never needed it before so I'm not sure how effective it is, I may end up trying it, or I might just get used to the ringing, it'll take a little time to adjust to it all. Thanks for all the input Wayne, you've been a big help! BTW what are you bringing to Batson's to sell? Thanks Everyone, REX

The weight hanging across the anvil helps but sometimes gets in the way, also a magnet under the heel helps. I haven't found anything as effective as chalking it down.
I suggest that the face of the anvil be at wrist height. The old knuckle height had to do with the striker. He could get a more powerful blow down there. We now rarely use strikers (can't afford to pay someone to just stand around until you need him). We have power hammers and presses. More and more smiths are raising their anvils and realizing the benefits. You are also less likely to have a missed blow where the hammer rebounds up and hits you in the middle of the forehead.

Back