Whats on your work bench this March?

Fred Rowe

With getting the place back in shape after a really hard winter I haven't gotten a whole lot accomplished in the way of knives.

I am working on these three at present; feather pattern blades top and bottom and a big, nine inch, canister cable fighter in the middle.

Whats on your bench this March?

Fred

Jigs+are+what+made+us_+051.jpg

We always have hawks on the bench. Right now there is also a hunter of 1084fg and a bowie of Aldos 1095. A "carry on the tractor" cable damascus knife that uses the cable for the handle and a RR spike knife for a local..A stack of 1065 for wrap and weld hawks.

I delivered the last one, that I was working on, Sat. That's 11 since Christmas, only have 5 more orders then it's PLAYTIME.
I'm off from work for 2 mos,maybe I'll get my forge built and make up a few to show off. I have none in the shop now. not even one for me.Hope to learn how to post pictures too.
Jerry

Keeping Up

Man, I'm just trying to keep up with my orders and get ready for the Blade show! Gonna do the parker show if I have any leftover from Atlanta. Shops a mess, but I love it more than ever! Michael

Nice looking pieces Fred. I have a few I have had sitting around while I was waiting for the HT to be done on my first. I also want to try and get a wharnie done in time for father's day as present made in stainless. We'll see how many actually get done. I still need to get the stainless.

Oh and i just started building an etcher, and need to make a sheath.

Apparently I have quite a bit on my plate.... Looks like we'll be shooting for the end of April from some completed projects :D.

Last edited:
That's good looking there!

when does march start?

I don't think there is a March in Texas, or February for that matter. :D

We always have hawks on the bench. Right now there is also a hunter of 1084fg and a bowie of Aldos 1095. A "carry on the tractor" cable damascus knife that uses the cable for the handle and a RR spike knife for a local..A stack of 1065 for wrap and weld hawks.

It sounds like you have been busy. You were probable snowed in most of the winter, where you hale from.:eek:

I delivered the last one, that I was working on, Sat. That's 11 since Christmas, only have 5 more orders then it's PLAYTIME.
I'm off from work for 2 mos,maybe I'll get my forge built and make up a few to show off. I have none in the shop now. not even one for me.Hope to learn how to post pictures too.
Jerry
The pictures are pretty easy to handle and well worth the effort. They communicate so much that words cannot quite get.

Fred,

I'm attempting to build my bench!:D

Regards,

Jeff

That, sir, made me smile. Get busy so you can get busy putting something on it to share with us.

Man, I'm just trying to keep up with my orders and get ready for the Blade show! Gonna do the parker show if I have any leftover from Atlanta. Shops a mess, but I love it more than ever! Michael

If you are loving it you are doing something right.

Nice looking pieces Fred. I have a few I have had sitting around while I was waiting for the HT to be done on my first. I also want to try and get a wharnie done in time for father's day as present made in stainless. We'll see how many actually get done. I still need to get the stainless.

Oh and i just started building an etcher, and need to make a sheath.

Apparently I have quite a bit on my plate.... Looks like we'll be shooting for the end of April from some completed projects :D.

I know you are busy.:D

Thanks for all the great post, Fred

It sounds like you have been busy. You were probable snowed in most of the winter, where you hale from.:eek:
We were this year. Seemed like it started snowing in late Nov and didnt stop until late Feb. My wife (who actually runs the forge business now) cant stand cold and bought a new wood burner for the shop. It seems my little homemade wood burner I had for years wasnt putting out enought heat for her.
I never seen a beat. She would go from the stove to the forge barely stopping a tthe anvil in between. She burnt one pair of gloves up warming her hands in front of the gasser :rolleyes: She knows what the "Dragons Breath" is now :D

My first gut hook hunter

this is what I am working on right now. it is almost completed, just the final sanding and buffing.
OAL 8.5"
1095 Blade 4.5"
handle is Bocote with brass pins and bolster scales.

let me know what you think!

Uncle Billy

Attachments

• 000_0010.jpg
    000_0010.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 26
I have a bunch of D2 hunters in progress. Most of them have been to 220 grit on a flat disc. Going to take them to about 600 before the HT. Have a bunch of maple, redwood and iron would burl. A few will get metal guards and fancier scales. Once these are done I will have some stock.

I just decided that I am going to Blade after all, so I need to get busy. I have a couple of Japanese style blades on the bench/anvil, which are my first attempts and I think that I will also be bringing damascus piece or two, also a first for a show.:eek::D

well it isnt up to those pics posted earlier in the thread

but here is one I am working on

camp knife/tweeker chopper while panning for Gold

Was going for a Enep style full tang....

Attachments

• EsortofNep.jpg
    EsortofNep.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 18
Dave,

That should work well for your purposes. Nice looking forging.

Hope to see it finished.

Fred

well it isnt up to those pics posted earlier in the thread

but here is one I am working on

camp knife/tweeker chopper while panning for Gold

Was going for a Enep style full tang....

Back