Building Damascus with Billy Helton

JAWilliams

KNIFEMAKER
Yesterday I had the honor and pleasure of meeting Billy Helton face to face and getting to build some damascus with him. It was a great day and I had a great time. I learned more in one day talking with Billy and working on damascus than I ever had. Billy got me going and then he stepped back and just watched as I went. Billy watched and would only help me when I got stuck on how to do something. He is a great teacher and a great person I call friend. By the time we were done I walked away feeling that I could make a damascus billet and realizing that if I get stuck on a project I can call and get help. For me this was a great time and I have a greater understanding of damascus. No I am not an expert but Billy gave me a better understanding of it. If I can get the camera to pick up some of the patterns I will post them. Thanks Billy for your patience and time. Hope we can do this again.

James

2189568405_c1003315b0.jpg

Yesterday I had the honor and pleasure of meeting Billy Helton face to face and getting to build some damascus with him. It was a great day and I had a great time. I learned more in one day talking with Billy and working on damascus than I ever had. Billy got me going and then he stepped back and just watched as I went. Billy watched and would only help me when I got stuck on how to do something. He is a great teacher and a great person I call friend. By the time we were done I walked away feeling that I could make a damascus billet and realizing that if I get stuck on a project I can call and get help. For me this was a great time and I have a greater understanding of damascus. No I am not an expert but Billy gave me a better understanding of it. If I can get the camera to pick up some of the patterns I will post them. Thanks Billy for your patience and time. Hope we can do this again.

James

You are welcome james you didnt do to shabby for a green horn.

Billy has also agreed to do a demo at our KGA shop tour that is being held on May the 8th. We will also have several other demos and you can get more information at http://www.theknifegroup.com/member_events.htm .

looking foward to the kga meeting ray I encourage every one that can come to stop buy . Im looking foward to mike millers demo on pin presses and there are others going to share there skills to. The real reason I go, is the meetings always have great food and at rays it is awsome.

James, sounds like you had a fine time. Mighty nice of you too Mr. Helton.
James, we need pictures and I gotta ask, did he tell any jokes that were decent?

Ok here are the pics. Like I have said if you get a chance to meet and visit with Billy his is a great guy. Billy hope to get back down and do some more with you.

securedownload4.jpg

securedownload3.jpg

securedownload2.jpg

securedownload-1.jpg

That looks like fun! I am thinking about going to Ray Kirk's for the shop tour etc. I just have to figure out if I can make it or not. I bet it will be a good time.

James,

Good to see you back at it buddy. I know you have been wanting to get back into the swing of things...well your well on your way.

Let me know when you have some billets for sale:D:D

Lookin good bud.

Chris

Back