First Knife made for Soldier

M

Mathsr

This is my son Pratt's first handmade knife. He is a senior in High School and has to do a Senior project. The project he chose to do was to research how to build a knife, including design aspects, and then make the knife. He would then present it to a member of the armed forces that is going to either Iraq or Afghanistan as a gift showing his support for what they are doing for our country. Preferably a graduate of Statesboro High School, but it may end up being someone he knows from another school.

Until now he has shown little interest in knife making, choosing to spend most of his time with his friends and working on his Tahoe. I was somewhat surprised at his choice of projects and proud at the same time. I told him if that was what he wanted to do I would support him and help him in any way I could, but that he was going to have to build the knife himself.......I would not make it for him. I didn't.

The combat knife has a 5 inch blade made of 1/4 inch CPM S30V that is flat ground. The handles are green canvas micarta, with stainless bolts and a stainless thong hole liner. It is heat treated to 59 on the Rockwell C scale and has a bead blasted finish. It will be delivered in a kydex sheath with removable belt loop.

I was amazed at his concentration and commitment to the project including the paper he had to write (got an A). I told him when he was finished, to design a logo and if he didn't want to that I would be glad to put the Twin Blades logo on it. He came up with his own logo and said the next knife he's keeping.

384473539.jpg

That is very cool and speaks volumes of your influence on him as a young man. Good Job. Thank you son for supporting our troops who give their all.

Charlie

Your son did a good job on the knife and I think he kicked your pride into overdrive. Isn't it great when they do something like that?

Larry

That is a great looking blade that he should be very proud of. That is a design which I would be proud to carry as a soldier.

Please give your son my compliments on a job very well done and please tell him that I said, "thank you for supporting my fellow service members".

Very nice looking blade. I think you have a very talented young man there who has a future in making knives if he chooses that route. I would be a proud papa too.

Harry,
Proud you should be. Congrads to your son for a job well done.
Nice looking unit, I'm sure it will come in handy and be appreciated'

Very nice knife! Your son did an excellernt job and should be very proud of himself. Very cool design! I'm sure you are a proud papa!

Thanks for the comments guys. He worked hard on this knife and did something that is difficult to do which is go slow. The mistakes were small and relatively easy for him to fix with a few pointers. I am proud of him and not just for the job he did on making the knife, but for what he decided to do with it. Kind ‘a makes up for a lot when a kid does good doesn't it?

Harry, that is one heck of a first knife, a real beauty. To show my appreciation to your son for supporting our troops I would like to send him some figured scales for future knives. I'm a Vietnam vet and I start scholarships for local boys killed in the current wars.
PM me with your address. I'm happy to do it. He has skills in knifemaking, that's obvious.
Kevin Henry

That means a lot Kevin. I will send you the information. I thank you very much and I know that Pratt will appreciate it also.

Back