Question Concerning Grizzly 2"X72"

K

KB1SYV

Hello Everyone,

I've been reading and reading and reading...Some people are mentioning problems with the Grizzly because the clearance between the motor and the wheel gets in the way when hollow grinding. I think I got that right. I don't know the procedure, so I can't visualize how that would be an issue. Can anyone explain in layman's terms how that causes a problem.

Thanks guy's

Jeff

Jeff, it all depends on how you grind. Myself, and many other makers, grind edge up. So when I'm grinding edge up on the left hand side of the blade, that puts me with the handle on the right side of the belt and in open space. When I grind the right side of the blade, that puts me on the left side of the belt, and the motor housing gets in my way. It can be done, and I've heard from makers who hollow grind just fine. For me, it was too akward.

I flat ground blades on the Grizzly for years, and I still use it for pretty much all my handle work.

--nathan

Jeff, it all depends on how you grind. Myself, and many other makers, grind edge up. So when I'm grinding edge up on the left hand side of the blade, that puts me with the handle on the right side of the belt and in open space. When I grind the right side of the blade, that puts me on the left side of the belt, and the motor housing gets in my way. It can be done, and I've heard from makers who hollow grind just fine. For me, it was too akward.

I flat ground blades on the Grizzly for years, and I still use it for pretty much all my handle work.

--nathan

Nathan,

Thanks for responding. Maybe for budgetary reasons I can avoid hollow grounding until I have the money to by a grinder that is less awkward to use. I posted a question for you about your finished knife, when you get a chance to read it. Thanks again,

Jeff

By the time you buy the Grizzly and the 10" wheel you can almost build a NWG. Matter of fact if you can get most of the tubeing as salvage you can almost build a NWG for the price of a Grizzly alone. For the little difference in cost it is a much better grinder, if you do it right and most that I have heard from have had no problem building one.

By the time you buy the Grizzly and the 10" wheel you can almost build a NWG. Matter of fact if you can get most of the tubeing as salvage you can almost build a NWG for the price of a Grizzly alone. For the little difference in cost it is a much better grinder, if you do it right and most that I have heard from have had no problem building one.

Wayne, he is hoping to win the door prize at the April HI.:duh: You will met him when you are here.2thumbs

I thought he allready had the Grizzly if not , the nwg is the way to go I did and I am very glad I did it is a great ginder havent had a single problem from mine.
Anthony

IG. He just needs to sign up for the workshop at your place later in May. I'm working on doing the bild for the school now. 2thumbs Leaving for Big Blu meeting in the morning for Friday and Saturday.

IG. He just needs to sign up for the workshop at your place later in May. I'm working on doing the bild for the school now. 2thumbs Leaving for Big Blu meeting in the morning for Friday and Saturday.

Wayne,

I'm spending money I don't have to buy a bus ticket to IG's house just to sponge as much knowledge off you as I can2thumbs2thumbs I will see you there!!!

Jeff

Good Jeff! We'll work something out. Maybe you will win that door prize and we can finish it up.

We have a Coote with the small wheel attachment. While its not a KMG its still a fine machine and has paid for itself many times over ;) We had to have a 10" contact wheel for all the hawks and axes we do. The price tag on a KMG(with 10" wheel) was out of reach at the time. Ill havea KMG or build one before long. For know the Coote is doin' just fine..

Back