Finished putting together another 2x72" grinder

silver_pilate

Well, I finally got this one wrapped up. I have it running off a 2hp 1800 rpm motor switched to my TECO FM50 VFD (which also runs my disc and my KMG :D). I'll probably switch out to a 3600 rpm motor eventually, but as this is primarily for detail work, I'll leave it for now. It's fully variable and reversilbe. This is my third 2x72" including my KMG and my Grizzly. My KMG will remain my workhorse, and I'm going to leave it set up with the flat platten or rotary platen. My Grizzly handles handle work and sharpening duty, and this grinder will be set up with my 10" and small wheels.

I just can't wait for Boss and David to finish up their grinder. I may be adding another one to the stable :D.

EERF1.jpg

EERF2.jpg

--nathan

Nice! :p

How was it getting that one together? Seems like it would go fairly quick. How many 2x72's do you actually need? :D

Last edited:
Fletch, it went together very easily after I got the holes tapped. I don't like tapping much ;). As for how many you need...well, that's a great question :D. I haven't thought about it, but I'd say one for the flat platen, one for the small wheel, one for my 10" wheel, one for a slack belt setup, one for a rotary platen, one for...... :D ;)

I just hate stopping to switch attachments, easy as it is. I don't really need another 2x72". This will probably do it for me unless the new Dogg grinder is too good to pass up. I like to have one set up with a platen and one with a small wheel. I can do all my blade grinding without having to stop. And the the Grizzly I use for its slack belt area for sharpening and for handle shaping.

Tod, I'll let you in on a little secret as to why it's "backwards". I drilled the holes in the upright to match the base plate, and then countersunk the holes in the base plate. I didn't realize I had the base plate upside down when countersinking until I was done, and I just didn't want to do it all again :D.

--nathan

Last edited:
Jeff, it was around $100 for the drive wheel and tracking wheel, $250 for the kit (laser cut 1/2" steel), another $20 or so for the hardware/bolts/etc, and I paid right at $200 for the motor. I already had the VFD and the attachments, so I spend about probably $570 total. More than I should have spent, but I'm glad to have another grinder in the stable. If you were having to set up the attachments, you could probably put together the multi platen for another $200 or so, and if I had gone with a slightly smaller 3600rpm 3 phase motor, I could have saved some $$.

--nathan

Tod, I'll let you in on a little secret as to why it's "backwards". I drilled the holes in the upright to match the base plate, and then countersunk the holes in the base plate. I didn't realize I had the base plate upside down when countersinking until I was done, and I just didn't want to do it all again :D.

Just tell everyone it's a left handed grinder :p

Nathan that did turn out great. I thought you put it togather right. I am left handed and it looks right to me.

Hellgap, it tracks rock solid! I like a tight belt so I used two fairly strong springs. It doesn't wobble a bit. I've started using it as a small and big wheel grinder. I used it to finish the edges on a knife I just wrapped up and to edge a sheath tonight. I did put the platen on it when I first finished it and did some heavy grinding to check tracking. The belt didn't wiggle a bit.

For those of you who don't know, Jamie was one of the fellas who made this grinder happen. Thanks again for making this possible, Jamie! I ended up taping off the wheels and putting a coat of clear rustoleum on it tonight to keep it looking good.

--nathan

Back