Looking for a new dog

B

Ben Sons

I was going to wait until I got back from this deployment, but it got canned.
I have been looking at 90-95% wolfs and was wondering if anyone could help me out... Have you had one? How are thier temperment? Do they make good pets? Ect...
I am judging them based on looks alone, now I need some real intel.
Thanks for your time

Ben Sons

Ben,

I have very little personal experience with wolf hybrids. I do however have a good friend who is a professional obedience and search and rescue instructor who has extensive knowledge and experience with wolves and hybrids. I would be happy to put you in touch with her.

If you really like the look of the more primitive breeds of dogs (hybrids and dogs of the spitz family), I would encourage you to look into the Akita. I've had an Akita in my family for eleven years now and they are an amazing breed who is highly intelligent and extremely protective if thier family.

Murph, the more info the better. I'd like to speak to her.
I'm not sure how the longer haired breeds would do in the south.
The last family dog I had was an American bulldog, when I moved from California to Arkansas he had a heat stroke and passed (7 years ago next July)

Your primitive breeds do just fine here in the South. There are just a couple if things you need to remember.

1. NEVER shave thier coat. They have a double coat which insulared them from the cold in the winter and the heat in the summer. Just keep thier coat brushed well (at least once per week).

2. If they are outside dogs (which I highly discourage), insure they are kept well hydrated. Cool fresh water is essential in the Summer.

If at all possible, I encourage dog owners to keep thier dogs indoors. Dogs bond better with thier families with the more time they spend together (dogs are pack animals). The stronger the bond, the happier, healthier, and more obedient the dog.

Help out a dumped dog or a rescue. I have never purchased a dog. I now have 17. They have to show up at my house for them to belong here. But once here they are well cared for and loved. I have never had a bad dog show up and have had all breeds from Dobies, many lab mixes, American Bull Dog, English Sheep Dog, Jack Russells, I can go on and on.

I had 2 Wolves come live with me many years ago. A friend was ordered to get them out of his neighborhood because his neighbors didn't like them getting loose and running around in their yards. I went to his place and spent most of a day with the wolves and 2 of them picked me as their friend so I took them home with me.

Wolves are pack animals and once they are settled in with your family are dedicated to the "pack" They will provide for and protect the family with total devotion. They need a lot of attention and make great companions. My female, "Sierra" would not leave my side when we were outdoors. I have had many different breeds of dogs but none of them compared to having a wolf as part of the family.

However there is a down side. Wolves are runners and extremely energetic and will wear you out with their antics. They are hunters and are very good at it. they are faster than cats and will grab one in a heartbeat if you don't watch them. Wolves do not like to be caged or penned up in any way. They will always find a way to escape to the dismay of your neighbors. When they are loose they hunt and your neighbors pets and small live stock are fair game.

I have had no experience with hybrid wolves but remember they still have wolf blood so they will have many of the characteristics of the wolf. You have to spend a lot of time working with them to have a controllable companion and if you take the time you will have a great friend.

I miss my Sierra more than any dog I ever had. If you have a lot of time to be a good companion ( I say companion because you never own a wolf) go for it.

I could write a book, but not enough room here. If you want to know more let me know I would be happy to tell you more about them.

Larry

The only think I could add about wolves and wolf hybrids is what I heard on a news feature. A local station did one a few years ago as more people in my area started taking in wolf mixes. Because they are wild dogs or recently brought into domestication they are more shy around humans and tend to back away from people except their owners. Last fall when I got my Lab from the Humane Society there was a wolf mix separate from the other dogs. I guess the pens were too small for a wolf. She still had a wild streak so they were working with her. She was a fine looking beast for sure!

I've had two Samoyeds here in Wichita Falls, Texas, where it gets over 100 in the summer. They did well. In the spring they would shed their winter fur, the longer hair. The wind would blow if off and it was in clumps all over the back yard! They were good pets except for the excessive barking.

I have afew acres so the running wouldn't be a problem, but there are chickens and horses on my back fence line.Something to think about for sure

Thank you for providing Ben with that information LR. I wanted to provide much of it, but all of my knowledge that you shared is second hand from studying and talking to those who know. This is information best given by those who have first hand knowledge.

As I said before I'm a huge fan of the Akita breed which is considered a "primitive breed", very closely realted to the wolf in both genetics and temperment.

Wayne brought up a very good point when he recommended rescueing a dog. There are thousands upon thousands of extremely pet worthy dogs in shelters and running stray. If all you are wanting is a worthy companion for you and your daughter, I would highly encourage adopting. There are some of us who have preferances of breed, and there are numerous breed specific resue organizations who will assist you in locating a companion as well who may otherwise be put down.

What I normally recommend to anyone looking for a new dog is that they do research and understand the needs of the specific breed they are interested in. You should know not only the specific health and nutritional requirements but also thier exercise and socialization needs. I also highly encourage temperment testing prior to commiting to a specific dog. This is extremely important as is obedience training.

I am judging them based on looks alone, now I need some real intel.
Ben Sons

Based on looks alone is the absolute worse way to pick a dog! I am very glad to see you gathering the additional intel as long as it is with an open mind and not to rationalize an emotional response to a beautiful animal.

Spend some time with the parent dogs/wolves before playing with the pups if you can, you'll think clearer.

Remember, even the most laid back, cooperative dog is a commitment for (if you are lucky) 12 - 15 years.

You will have issues with insurance, housing, boarding, and BSL (Breed Specific Laws) with a wolf or wolf-hybrid.

Right Dog For You by Daniel F. Tortora
is a helpful book.

I highly recommend saving a young adult dog from the pound. Size, personality, health, intelligence, activity level, and temperament are pretty well set, the price is right and you have a much better idea what you are getting without the puppy hassles.

Last edited:
Good advice for sure, time to make some calls and burry my nose in some books.
No rush, I want to make sure the breed/dog is right for us.

Help out a dumped dog or a rescue. I have never purchased a dog. I now have 17. They have to show up at my house for them to belong here. But once here they are well cared for and loved. I have never had a bad dog show up and have had all breeds from Dobies, many lab mixes, American Bull Dog, English Sheep Dog, Jack Russells, I can go on and on.

Wayne hit the nail on the head. Unless theres a specific need I would start my search there. My family has owned some of the top dobes of all time (not trying to brag), but I started looking at the humane society. 2thumbs

Both of my dogs were rescued from the humane society, my family does volunteer work for them. Both dogs are fantastic additions to our family. It's best to know something about the breed you are interested in. If you want a happy experience take your time and choose what you want and need not the first animal that licks your hand and gives you that take me home look.

You would be surprised how many people bring the dog back to the humane society because it didn't work out.

Larry

I only pet samll dog like Pomeranian ,pug, because my apartment only allow small puppy,but I wold get one more Tibetan mastiff or Husky

I cannot speak for the Wolf Hybrid, but I can say that the Akita is an AMAZING breed. I live in Arkansas and had an Akita for 14 years. We lost her almost 2 years ago and I will have another one. I just cant bring myself to replace her yet. (silly I know)

Some of the thing this dog could do was bordering on mystic! Very bright, intelegent, fun loving and loyal dog. Also GREAT with kids!

God Bless
Mike

My brother had an Akita years ago (which wound up with what became his ex girlfriend). However I don't know if was the particular one but it required A LOT of work with obedience. From what I've gathered (and may be incorrect) they are a very dominant breed. Extraordinarily loyal but if they aren't worked with a lot they can be a bear to deal with.

One thing that I've found as a good piece of advice when getting any breed to remember is that.... You don't pick the dog, the dog picks you.

Back