Need a knife for a soldier...quick!!

silver_pilate

Hey everyone. I wanted to put some feelers out there... One of my coworkers contacted me about possibly making a knife for his son who is graduating from the Air Force's Pararescue special forces group on April 16th. He wanted to get him something special for graduation.

I would love to help him out, but unfortunately, I am overbooked on commitments and terribly slow on turn around, so I don't think I could get it done on time for him in his short timeframe. So I wanted to put this out there and see if anyone can help out.

He likes the looks of this blade I finished for the military build off a while back, perhaps a bit shorter for more comfortable carry. This is a modification of David at GLWJ's design, but you get the idea of what he's looking for....

IMG_0232.jpg

It should be field capable, so I'm thinking stainless or coated with tough handles (G10 perhaps), screwed and glued construction. As for finish, I would think a non-reflective coating or bead blasting (for stainless) would be preferred. Other than that, he's open to design/details. Sheathing would probably be done in somethign that is jump approved like the Spec Ops sheaths we used for the military build off.

No offense to anyone, but I'm looking for makers with proven track records who can back up their work and perform controlled heat treating as this knife may see field deployment.

He's new to the handmade knife market, so I thought I'd help him out by guaging any interest as I'm not going to be able to get it made in time. Anyone able to take a great-cause, fast turnaround project like this? And if so, please PM me with estimated total cost (I'm not asking for a freebie). Thanks gents!

--nathan

Just my $0.02, but this sounds like a prime candidate for a Bill Coye "Oscar Mike".

Hey everyone. Thanks for the PM's and suggestions. I have this one covered! David Curtiss is going to help me out.

--nathan

Back